Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Jolly705 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Out for awhile, any video suggestions would be much appreciated.

Unfort. I can not ride for a long time and I am going a bit crazy to be honest. I figure watching some good videos may help is some sort of twisted way. I am looking for some videos to purchase that have dual sport, supermoto, trail riding, endruos, baja, mx, etc. I am not into MX freestyle or wheelies so the less flipping and stunts the better. I own dust to glory, on any sunday, and a few others. What else is out there? I need some input. Please help with my boredom. Thanks again advrider!!

Jolly705 screwed with this post 02-11-2008 at 08:13 AM
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
PenultimateMan
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 52
Long Way to Blockbuster...

I can't personally attest to many bike movies, but I noticed that Long Way Round wasn't in your list of personal films. If you're like most of the riders that I know, you've likely already seen it; if you HAVEN'T seen it...wow.

All hyperbole aside, LWR was what inspired me to finally stop just dreaming about getting on a bike and actually DO it (it's also been helping to vicariously satisfy my motorbike fix while the Northeast lays under a perpetually-refreshed blanket of snow and ice). It's a terrific adventure, shot in amazing locales throughout europe and asia, and really captures a lot of what I consider to be the essence of motorcycle riding: just getting out and seeing the world around you with great friends. And it should be right up the alley of any dual-sport rider...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403778/

Incidentally, if you have already seen LWR, then you should try and score a copy of the sequel (for lack of a better word), Long Way Down. I managed to catch a couple of episodes of this on BBC while on holiday in GB, and while it wasn't as good as LWR, it was still a lot of fun. I think that you can Bit Torrent the episodes, too, if it proves too hard to find locally.

But I got laid off.

PenultimateMan screwed with this post 02-11-2008 at 09:25 AM
PenultimateMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Liamderthal
Braaaaiiinnnss!!!

Oddometer: 150
A short list...

Here's some of my favs:

1) The Enduro at Erzberg - You've probably heard of it. Crazy enduro race in Austria. I have the 2006 race on DVD, but the '07 race is available as well.

2) Red Bull Romaniacs - 5 day enduro rally in Romania. The first day consists of an obstacle course set up in the city that has to been seen to be believed.

3) Race to Dakar - Charley Boorman's attempt at the Dakar rally. Well made production and pretty entertaining from start to finish.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Zuman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenultimateMan
Incidentally, if you have already seen LWR, then you should try and score a copy of the sequel (for lack of a better word), Long Way Down. I managed to catch a couple of episodes of this on BBC while on holiday in GB, and while it wasn't as good as LWR, it was still a lot of fun. I think that you can Bit Torrent the episodes, too, if it proves too hard to find locally.
The Long Way Down website will ship a region-free DVD to you. It's worth the cost. http://www.longwayround.com/lwd/html/lwd_shop_dvm.html

--J
Zuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Jolly705 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys, I ordered long way round on my girlfriends netflix because I actually have not seen them to date. I think I am going to purchase:

ezberg 2006/2007
romaniacs

I will have to check out race to dakar as well, don't know much about that video, keep them coming
Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 637
Try "Touching the Void"

It aint bikes. It's about 2 guys climbing in the Andes & things go VERY bad. Both survive, but one of them is the toughest, most stubborn SOB ever. He should have died about 35 times, but was able to crawl off the mountain.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
"World's Fastest Indian"

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,396
All of the Crusties Demons of Dirt series.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 567
Duke Video should have some stuff to keep you entertained. http://www.dukevideo.com/Bikes/DVD.aspx

Don't pass up some of the highlight videos of the Isle of Man TT races. Unbelievable road racing footage.

Dana Brown, Bruce "On Any Sunday" Brown's son, has put together some additional movies devoted just to desert and motocross from the unused OAS footage. Good stuff there if you like ye olden tymes.
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
Netflix choice

I just returned "Throttle" to nexflix and it was worth a look. Definitely worth wathcing if your just hanging around. Some pretty cool shots of some backcountry riding mixed in with a little supermoto and supercross. I think you'll enjoy.
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Jolly705 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did some more research and added Race to Dakar and A Day in the Dirt ($1.50 from ebay) I think this should keep me busy for awhile. I have seen some of the earlier Crusties and they are very entertaining.
Thanks to advrider here is my list for now

2006/07 Erzberg
Romaniacs 2007
Race to Dakar
A Day in the Dirt
Long way Round (netflix)

I just received Erzberg and Romaniacs in the mail today, now the trick is to convince my girl to watch them tonight for Valentines Day