ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #16
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,495
"....walmart....."

is different!

musn't do different!

__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #17
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!
 
StevenD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Holland, Amserdammed
Oddometer: 1,111
CM, can you explain your ACVjet plugging and share with us what that accomplished?
Thnx
__________________
999 LC8 Rat-Rally custom - 500 EXC - XR666R '85
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #18
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!
 
StevenD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Holland, Amserdammed
Oddometer: 1,111
When will you ever be happy

Did you have significant fuel consumption benefit's using the k&n and no box? You could try to make a bigger snorkel for the standard box, that could make the restriction less perhaps? I want to cut the standard snorkel and mount an XR600 air filter on top as a pre filter, easely cleanable, unlike the Uni
I Think the glove box can be retained then as wel, not like the dakar bike which had somewhat the same filter. That way water crossings wont much be lowered like the uni dous as well.
__________________
999 LC8 Rat-Rally custom - 500 EXC - XR666R '85
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #19
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Nice write-up, BTW

One question now, CM: Can you power wheelie in 3rd with the latest setup?
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #20
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Eh? Warm an' fuzzy feelin'

'Splain this to me then CM. Why did the factory race team use the airbox in their intake equation (with a pre filter)? Certainly, they could have come up with something less restrictive than that same ol' hot air balloon, EPA/EU sound deadening, power robbing, hot radiator air sucking thang on their pure race bikes. No dis-respect toward your expertise here. Just "interesting" to see our familiar hunk o' black plastic on Meoni's #1 Dakar Rally bikes.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #21
ADVJake
***** dweller
 
ADVJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 4,339
I hit reserve at 130 miles today. and i wasnt even riding hard...
I use to get 215 miles to reserve before i put on the remus pipes, prefilter & 16t.

Time for a rejet... Im going to try and source jets locally, since head2wind can't ship internationally yet.
ADVJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #22
K2m
....58....
 
K2m's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
sucking up constrained portions of hot air off the radiator. Going with a Meoni-esque arrangement can't hurt but still it'll be drawing hot air. Cooler air from above is better imho.
.
I should tel you guys about the one of first job's that I did to my bike. I got some builders foam, sort of tar impregnated foam (Compriband), and packed it between the front of the air box and the frame. This was to seal out the hot air from the inlet. Hot air is less dense and so is similar to reducing your engine size. So sucking hot radiator air is like riding an 850. I also added a nylon plate next to the ignition module to create a still air effect for the pre filter.

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
The News, those who are trying to control what we think, do not want us to see.
http://www.presstv.ir/live.html So good the British Gov. Banned it !!!
http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #23
K2m
....58....
 
K2m's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,242
I was in measuring up for the FCR's on the weekend an checked my IMS and found it to be 2.35 on the front and 2.25 on the rear. Sorry for the miss information regarding 2 turns. I have adjusted the Matrix........
__________________
The News, those who are trying to control what we think, do not want us to see.
http://www.presstv.ir/live.html So good the British Gov. Banned it !!!
http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #24
K2m
....58....
 
K2m's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMJake
I hit reserve at 130 miles today. and i wasnt even riding hard...
I use to get 215 miles to reserve before i put on the remus pipes, prefilter & 16t.

Time for a rejet... Im going to try and source jets locally, since head2wind can't ship internationally yet.
Mike Hone's (The one sitting next to Peter Brock when he died) in Melbourne is a good place to start. The pilot is a 78 series jet. They are a Factory pro dealer....... Good luck Mate!

http://www.mickhone.com.au/

That prefilter rich-ens it up considerably.
__________________
The News, those who are trying to control what we think, do not want us to see.
http://www.presstv.ir/live.html So good the British Gov. Banned it !!!
http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/

K2m screwed with this post 01-02-2008 at 07:32 AM
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #25
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
I was in measuring up for the FCR's on the weekend an checked my IMS and found it to be 2.35 on the front and 2.25 on the rear. Sorry for the miss information regarding 2 turns. I have adjusted the Matrix........

Hey Rory!

I thought your clip was in position #2 with the 45 Pilot Fuel jet. The Matrix says pos. #3. Seems unlikely that you are running a 45 Pilot with 2.35 turns on IMS with 3rd clip.

Please let me know.

I've uploaded my latest settings. Can't say I'm truly happy with the result. Very hard to tune the idle circuit with the DNA and Pre-Filter....Someone have a look at my settings and comments and let me know what you think.

Seems to me the lower half of the idle circuit (ie: off idle to 1/8) is fine, but then under load from 1/8 - 1/4 throttle seems aneamic and lumpy - like it's too lean...however, it's hard to start when hot, and seems to run way better now that it;s cold out, which would indicate that was actually too rich...Impossible to tell without propoer analysis tools.

Flanny screwed with this post 10-15-2007 at 05:49 PM
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #26
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
I've uploaded my latest settings. Can't say I'm truly happy with the result. Very hard to tune the idle circuit with the DNA and Pre-Filter....Someone have a look at my settings and comments and let me know what you think.

Seems to me the lower half of the idle circuit (ie: off idle to 1/8) is fine, but then under load from 1/8 - 1/4 throttle seems aneamic and lumpy - like it's too lean...however, it's hard to start when hot, and seems to run way better now that it;s cold out, which would indicate that was actually too rich...Impossible to tell without propoer analysis tools.
Are you really running the needles on the 2nd clip? If so, that may be your problem. Also, your IMS of .75 is awful lean for the other settings you've got.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #27
K2m
....58....
 
K2m's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Hey Rory!

I thought your clip was in position #2 with the 45 Pilot Fuel jet. The Matrix says pos. #3. Seems unlikely that you are running a 45 Pilot with 2.35 turns on IMS with 3rd clip.

Please let me know.
.
Set-up:
No Sommers Door, plugged sides of airbox and drain line.
Drilled slides
140/142 mains
45 pilots
2.25 turns out on the IMS
#3 clip on the needles, this is with the stock thin shim below it
Stock + Uni pre-filter
40/80/100 jets
Float levels @ 3mm
FMF Q Pipes

Testing conditions: 58 F, 68% Humidity, 1280'-1850' - ASL, Late in the evening.

Results: It's pretty damn good ladies and gentlemen!
  • Pulls clean everywhere
  • Mid-range is flawless
  • Pulls harder/faster through 7k-9.5k top
  • Has that nice wheelie characteristic, smooth and controlled
  • No fluttering or surging on/off throttle
  • No hanging idle, though it does move around a bit. A small price.
Don't know about hot starting, someone get back to me on that cause it's way late and I'm headed to bed

Those settings in the Matrix are correct Flanny. Despite having different exhaust Tony's settings above are the same as mine with maybe a slight difference in my front IMS (2.35). This was an excellent result for those running a pre filter.

I tried the 2clip position with this setup and only road a kilometer before heading back to the garage and then raised the needle and BINGO It was "all over red rover" That was last November, haven't touched it since


PS Thanks a million for your advice with that motomaster. Your help made it to easy
Get that SE Pump on yours....... What a brake!!!!!
__________________
The News, those who are trying to control what we think, do not want us to see.
http://www.presstv.ir/live.html So good the British Gov. Banned it !!!
http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/

K2m screwed with this post 10-15-2007 at 06:44 PM
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #28
ADVJake
***** dweller
 
ADVJake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 4,339
Is that the FCR settings, k2m?
If so, what is the fuel consumption now?
ADVJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
Set-up:
No Sommers Door, plugged sides of airbox and drain line.
Drilled slides
140/142 mains
45 pilots
2.25 turns out on the IMS
#3 clip on the needles, this is with the stock thin shim below it
Stock + Uni pre-filter
40/80/100 jets
Float levels @ 3mm
FMF Q Pipes

Testing conditions: 58 F, 68% Humidity, 1280'-1850' - ASL, Late in the evening.

Results: It's pretty damn good ladies and gentlemen!
  • Pulls clean everywhere
  • Mid-range is flawless
  • Pulls harder/faster through 7k-9.5k top
  • Has that nice wheelie characteristic, smooth and controlled
  • No fluttering or surging on/off throttle
  • No hanging idle, though it does move around a bit. A small price.
Don't know about hot starting, someone get back to me on that cause it's way late and I'm headed to bed

Those settings in the Matrix are correct Flanny. Despite having different exhaust Tony's settings above are the same as mine with maybe a slight difference in my front IMS (2.35). This was an excellent result for those running a pre filter.

I tried the 2clip position with this setup and only road a kilometer before heading back to the garage and then raised the needle and BINGO It was "all over red rover" That was last November, haven't touched it since


PS Thanks a million for your advice with that motomaster. Your help made it to easy
Cool.

Ok - here's the only other question. Will the DNA plus Uni make a big difference in settings over the Stock + Uni? Remember - I want to run the DNA+Uni combo for a completely washable set-up.

Here's an ealier quote from CPWoody's in a previous thread..."I ran it close to that (42, 80/95) with the DNA and the UNI which should be pretty close to running the stock filter only. Cans with or w/o inserts should make a pretty big difference too."

So he was running a 42 with 80/95. I'm running a 45 with 80/100, 2nd clip...I still think I'm too rich, but you guys have 1.5 more IMS turns, plus 45 FJ, plus 3rd clip.

I tried going back to 42 Pilot Fuel jet, but needed IMS at 3 turns to peak idle RPM, even with 3rd clip on the needle. Switched to 45 Idle Fuel Jet, and needed to turn down the IMS to .75 before I could get the idle to pick up. I'm pretty sure that Rory suggested that I back off the needle to 2nd clip since there is a slight influence on the idle circuit (esp with the 45 PFJ).

So...this all leads me to believe I'm still too rich on the idle circuit. You guys are suggesting that I fatten it up even more???

Just want to be sure that you lads think that the same settings pretty much apply with the DNA as well...I'm game to tear into it again (for the 80th time it seems), but want to double check for the DNA+UNI combo...

I'm really scratching my head on this one..these carbs are definitely a challenge without the analysis gear. Note also that my bike is exhibiting the easy to start cold w/ some choke but hard to start hot without fluttering throttle symptom. Checked float hight and seems to be fine at stock setting.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #30
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Are you really running the needles on the 2nd clip? If so, that may be your problem. Also, your IMS of .75 is awful lean for the other settings you've got.

See my previous post with some 'splainin'. I agree - the settings seem downright bizarre...but idle doesn't hang at all, and it idles quite nicely..

Most of th settings that have consensus are around either stock plus pre-filter, or DNA alone. There aren;t any settings in the matrix for both the DNA and the UNI together (I don;t think).

Another problem is that I don't have 100% confidence in the other attributes of the bike...Carb sync, valve clearances etc since I have not done those personally. Perhaps my AFR's are spot-on, and my somewhat unsatisfactory running conditions are due to other basics...it's hard to say without a Dyno or Wide-band.

All I know is that between 1/8-1/4 throttle at cruise and under slight load it doesn't run right, plus its hard to start when hot...could be jetting, could be an exhaust valve out of spec. Dunno...but it's been frustrating to say the least.

I could just give up on the DNA, and pop my stock filter back in there, crank out my IMS to 2.5 and move the needle to clip 3, and then have the same settings as everyone else...but...I really want to make the fully washable solution work if at all possible....
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014