Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #91
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
Help !! I have been reading jetting posts until my eyes are bleeding......Also I am growing weary of taking my bike apart as well trying different jetting variables. Additionally my Africa Twins keep staring at me doing endless jetting work on the KTM in the shop and must figure I am nuts !! Here is my setup:
Bike is at sea level
Stock air inlet
Floats adjusted to 3mm
Carbs synched
Remus Revolution pipes
KTM stock needles raised to the third clip, that seems to be the only thing everyone agrees upon.
So the variables I am trying to deal with is whether to use the 42 or the 45 jets
Before on the main jets I had 155/160 . I just changed them to 160/165 and it feels like there is a bit of a flat spot around 7500 rpms. But at the same time I had changed the jets from 42 to 45.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to get back to riding instead of doing work in my shop !!

beemer boy screwed with this post 05-29-2008 at 12:57 PM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #92
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
How did it run with the 155/160's?

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #93
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

There seems to be a bit of a bias to running the 45 jets instead of the stock 42. Seems a lot of people feel the 42s were put in by the factory for emission purposes. I made the classic mistake of changing those at the same time I changed the main jets to 160/165. The carb had been submerged with muddy water a couple of years ago, so I think some of the orifices were plugged. Now in the course of all this jetting work I ended up with a complete disassembly and cleaning. So again too many variables. I am just looking for a pretty solid group of settings I can use, button the bike up and call it quits. I tried to run the venting inside since it makes it so much easier to pull the carbs off and on, but when I did that the idle seemed to hang for a bit before it would settle down to normal. Now they are vented outside. I just want to get back to riding.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #94
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

I see your point. Yes, one change at a time is best in this situation. IIWM, I'd go back to stock, note how it's running and where it needs improvement, then do one change and note improvement or not.

In regards to your present setup, if it runs fine at all rpms and throttle opening except WFO at 7500 rpm, I'd be looking at the mains. You need to get the mains right, before continuing on to other changes.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #95
beemer boy
Oh no, he's gone Asian

I thought I read somewhere if the bike stumbles at WOT at high RPMs the trick is to go to a smaller main jet instead of a larger one. Is that correct ???
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #96
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
I thought I read somewhere if the bike stumbles at WOT at high RPMs the trick is to go to a smaller main jet instead of a larger one. Is that correct ???
A lean main will miss and cutout. A lot like running out of fuel or having your fuel petcock turned off. It will run better when the engine is warmed up than it does cold.

A rich main will have a boggy feeling, fall on its face like you're dragging the brakes. You may see black smoke from the exhaust and followers may smell it. It will run better when cold and get worse as the engine warms up.

Of course, we're talkin' WFO from 7500 - redline.

As you get closer to the correct mains, the symptoms will decrease, and you will strive for the best acceleration. learn to "read" the plugs.

-cp

cpmodem screwed with this post 05-28-2008 at 11:09 AM
Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #97
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,106
mains?

700' above in Wisconsin.
LeoVince slip-ons
de-can/sas, as I just finished these tasks.
stock paper w/pre-filter.

I just acquired an h2w setup (for 05.5) from an east coast adver.

I have a selection of 148, 150 and 152 mains and simply need to confirm I'm in the ballpark here.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #98
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

'03
1500'
Wings
All ectomies
paper with Uni
148/152 mains
45 pilot
70 IAJ (rest are stock)
3rd clip on stock needle

Runs great at all altitudes so far (will report back on Pikes Peak and Mt Evans later this month).

-cp

Old 06-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #99
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,106
tanks mang!!!

Looks like I'm good to go.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #100
Skooba Steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
No go on the matrix

For some reasaon I cannot pull up the matrix on my computer, anyone else have this problem?
Skooba Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #101
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooba Steve
For some reasaon I cannot pull up the matrix on my computer, anyone else have this problem?
Ken may be editing it. There's a copy over on the HOW that you can look at until the "real" one comes back.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/carbs/KTM...ng%20Matix.xls

-cp

Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #102
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
So I did the evapo-cano-ectomies and put on a set of Leo Vince pipes and the low end seemed weaker. Understandable with less back pressure. Before tearing into the carbs I thought I'd get a base line reading. Here it is. About 1500 miles on the clock and I'm running at and just below 5000' ASL. My dyno man knows carbs pretty well, races KTMs in dirt and supermoto. His recommends are one size larger on the pilot jet and one notch up on the needle.

Discuss?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #103
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Fark! Has this thread just rolled over and died?

I pulled everything apart, checked the floats, raised the needles to 3rd clip and went to install #45 pilots but the local shop sold me the wrong size.

Buttoned it back up with a half turn out added to the IAS (was at 1 1/4 & 1 1/2 stock ). Bike runs FAR better in the low revs now, but still thinking I can maybe get a stronger low end with the 45 pilot. Haven't put it back on the dyno yet.

Anyone? Ideas, thoughts?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #104
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
When I tune for HP. I do it going up hill reading a Wideband. You cannot simulate this on a dyno. You cannot "load" the engine. Do not read to much into Dyno AFR's.

Correct AFR's can only be determined using a quality Wideband, such as a Bosch 6066. mounted correctly while being ridden on the street.

http://wbo2.com/

[IMG][/IMG]
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #105
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
When I tune for HP. I do it going up hill reading a Wideband. You cannot simulate this on a dyno. You cannot "load" the engine. Do not read to much into Dyno AFR's.

Correct AFR's can only be determined using a quality Wideband, such as a Bosch 6066. mounted correctly while being ridden on the street.
I thought dynos applied a measured resistance. And how do you know what AFRs your motor likes best without a corresponding power readout? Not being argumentative, I really don't know this stuff and am trying to learn. A logging AFR gauge on the dash sounds like the kittie's titties.