User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Escapegoat OP
Sidetracked again

Oddometer: 159
Eek SNAKES on a bike

Sounds like a dodgey movie title doesn't it?

A few weeks ago I nearly ran over two snakes in one day, and although my snake I.D. skills are pretty dodgey at 110 with my ankles up near my helmet, I reckon one was a Taipan, the other was a brown. I have also ran over one while I was in a wheel rut, and had nowhere to go a while back. Anybody got stories of running over snakes, or had one drop into a campsite? Photos anybody?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Last summer I saw 3 red bellied black snakes in 3 hours of riding. 2 were fired up ready to strike as I passed them.

Last weekend a red bellied black snake was crossing the dirt road we were riding on and earlier I had seen a dead one.

I am glad that I haven't seen any Browns or Taipans - they are supposed to be the worst.

+1 for tents and not sleeping in the open

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Mototrans
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
i was following dad on his bike with the old XL175 flat strap. He ran over a snake and the bastard flicked up off the back wheel and damn near got me.... dad just laughed when i had a go at him of course.

"Ignorance of the law will never save you. Good suspension and a full tank might." - Sundowner
Mototrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,261
Strange

No snake stories that I can recall at the moment, But coming home from work tonight, for some reason I was thinking about that 125 GP rider a few years ago in practice at the Malaysian GP I think.

Wondering what it was like to be him, not remembered for anything but killing a cobra with your knee slider.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 847
A 6 foot black turned itself into a hairpin trying to strike my 15 year old son last summer.
He was riding his Thumpstar in a spirited fashion and the snake did'nt lead to take the shot. Thank Christ.

I did however point out to him that winding the bike out then clapping his hands above his head may have posed a greater risk.

Now why is it I feel he wasn't listening?
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,896
Another reason why I like my flash swag with critter mesh, dont want one of them curled up with me!
Attached Images

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
I was out riding in an OHV park with my buddy a few weeks ago and he stopped to look for something making a funny noise on his bike and found a small rattle snake lodge somewhere in the rear end of his bike, it was dead and wasnt the noise problem but kinda strange. Im thinking he is lucky because this time of year, with it getting cold, they start to hide in underground dens with other snakes, sometimes hundreds, and he must have sunk his rear tire into a den or something and ripped out that snake

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
zenKTM
-

Oddometer: 536
this may not count - as i was adv riding on my push bike in tassie when i ran over a 'stick' that was actually a snake - (copperhead i think) -
the fucker understandably was pissed off and struck my front tyre ...a couple of inches from my foot which was exposed
lucky, as i was in the middle of no-where and it was friggin hot!
It all happened so quickly I couldn't have done anything about it...

wearing motocross boots there shouldn't be a problem as they tend to strike around the ankle!
+1 with Stackator about tents in Aus, don't want to roll over on a snake in the middle of the night
zenKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,038
had a wombat bite my rear tyre once if that counts...

ridden through plenty of snakes esp down round moulamein, pesky tiger snakes abound there, but never had any drama.

snakes are not 'that' quick.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Seen snakes while riding but the nearest to grief I've come is spitting a blue tongue lizard out the back - my mate was close by and said it flew past his shoulder. My 6yr old son found this dugite (aka brown) under the peach tree last year. It had tried to go through the net but only managed to get its head throgh before it got stuck, and scales meant there was no reversing option.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #11
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Run over a snake when I was a kid, I didn't stop to look just kept going.
I had a dog bite the front tyre on my postie bike one day when I was delivering the mail, only problem was it forgot to let go.... RIP dog
Another dog used to hide until you went to accelerate then would bite the leather bags, bastard would nearly drag you off the bike. So one day I took off flat out, got onto the tar then just slammed on both brakes .. went from 25 or so to 0 in no space at all. Dog ran into the bags so hard it pushed the bike sideways, it ran off yelping, I rode off laughing, never had a problem with that dog again.
Run into a roo once and over another one but thats another story.
Cheers
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #12
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
We were down in Bendethera valley last weekend, and Fishbulb noticed that there was a snake IN THE BOTTOM of the pit toilet!! (the furtherest one in the valley). I had already used the toilet twice, and he had used it once before noticing it!! Freaky as. I WILL NEVER be using that dunny again!!

Dan
DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #13
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy
Paves , that snake looks like it has taken a bit of a beating on the head. Thats how most people get bitten.
Poppy, as it says in the post, its head was stuck in the net and it was going nowhere. Everything has a right to live and I don't kill things unless I feel I have no choice. I wasn't going to let it die a slow death in the net, or try to get it out (I'm not quite that stupid), and the dog was trying to get at it too. So I relieved it of its head using a shovel. What you see in the pic is the snake minus the front 10cms or so, which I left in the net til the next day. It was quite amazing to watch the headless body thrash around for a good 5 minutes.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV
No snake stories that I can recall at the moment, But coming home from work tonight, for some reason I was thinking about that 125 GP rider a few years ago in practice at the Malaysian GP I think.

Wondering what it was like to be him, not remembered for anything but killing a cobra with your knee slider.
I actualy remember watching that GP. What a shock that would have been .
Had a mate kick at a big brown on the road one day only to have a go at me when I rode past it
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
medicmick
Spike

Oddometer: 836
Just cruising down a local forest Black Rock Road near the Forestry cottage not long back and a friggin big black came from behind me, travelling in the same direction and passed me, I panicked, hit the throttle and passed it, it was there on the way back, so I thought he passed me, I passed him again, so I won, I can't stand the things, thats why I'm a winter bushwalker too.

early 80's was with a group of riders on the cambridge Plateau Drive between mallanganee and Toonumbar dam, and we came across the biggest python ever, couldn't see his head or his arse and he was too big to ride over

Mick.

from TL125 to '08 DL 650 WeeStrom in 30 years.

Ulysses # 51624
FarRider #300

Circumnavigated the island of Rarotonga ,Cook Islands, all 32kms of it on a Nifty50. Does that qualify as an Adventure.

You can do it hard but do it safe.
medicmick is offline   Reply With Quote