Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #16
shekel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototrans
i was following dad on his bike with the old XL175 flat strap. He ran over a snake and the bastard flicked up off the back wheel and damn near got me.... dad just laughed when i had a go at him of course.
Had a similar experience in PNG back in the '70s. At night, raining, girlfriend in front on DT125, me following close on XL250 to shed more light on the track. Her backwheel flicks up a largish snake of unknown species, it seems to be twisting in flight and coming straight at my head and shoulders. I duck and swerve (carefully)to miss it -all over in a flash.

Another scare was having a mother pig with line of piglets astern cross my path. Flatstrap (its always so) on the loose surface a collision was unavoidable. Got the front wheel up and sailed over poor piglet on the backwheel - killed it stone dead, but I at least stayed upright and continued on my way.
shekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
Did a trek up Cradle Mt. in Tassie a couple of years back. Never been much of a hiker and suffered from extreme cramps on the way back. While 'limping' back towards my hotel just on dusk, I was watching all the wildlife abound the track I was on; kwolls, owls, pademelons and this huge friggin' wombat that obviously didn't know how close I was to him (or her). I gave a little hiss and this lump of muscle turned and charged towards me snarling and grunting. First time ever I thought I might get mauled by a rogue wombat. I couldn't out run it as I was sorer than a prostitute outa practice from the hike. All I could do was piss myself with laughter while limping behind trees as this bugger finally gave up and waddled back into the scrub. The next thing I did was look around to see if anyone was watching!
Had some very close calls with deer while riding but never snakes.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #18
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,639
Well its cooled down now, so we should have seen the last of these chaps for a while!
I spend a LOT of time in the bush and I rarely see a snake, but the bloody things were everywhere this year!!
Some of the ones I got pics of......
1 Nunniong Rd, Vic

2 McKillops Bridge

3Bega area... beautiful diamond python, I had one of these as a kid for a pet, but it used to freak my Mum out too much so it was liberated!

I moved him off the road for his own well being!

Also at Dalgety at Xmas , there were Tigers everwhere, ayoung girl was bitten and had to be airlifted to Sydney! I saw one there 3 weeks ago, but the local council has acted!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #19
KLEaner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
First ever ride in the bush when I was a young bloke and about 100m down the single track from the trailer I ran over a 5ft brown on my '81 XT250. I believe I completed what is called a "clicker" without leaving the ground

Scared shite out of me and took me a few rides to get over the prospect of another Joey having a go at me....

Cheers
Ian

... was expecting 100K from this bike; now aiming for 150K ...
KLEaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #20
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekel
Had a similar experience in PNG back in the '70s.

Another scare was having a mother pig with line of piglets astern cross my path. Flatstrap (its always so) on the loose surface a collision was unavoidable. Got the front wheel up and sailed over poor piglet on the backwheel - killed it stone dead, but I at least stayed upright and continued on my way.
Now if i remember correctley the pay back system in PNG back then was $10 kina for a chook $50 for a dog, $100 for a piglet, $500 for a sow, and next plane out if you got a local, before they got you

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #21
Thumpstress
Gone to Paradise

Oddometer: 676
Have hit a few in the past unfortunately ..once during a dance on tight twistys around our hinterland, tho i must admit twas good ammo when it spun right up off my slick and hit the sucksoozi rider who was too far up my arse..RIP blacky

I encounter more here in my treehouse than out riding...red belly black, night tiger, brown treesnakes, whipsnakes, inside, outside, up the posts.. the list goes on..fortunately Freddy the housekeeper and his multitude of heavy mates are territorial so no venemous browns bother here.

I love em..awesum rat catchers.

little bugger in my kitchen drawer.

and this ones for you Mouse ol mate.....

Thumpstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #22
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,969
On our first camping trip on the DR's in Victoria I saw about a 4ft black snake crossing the road in front of me. By the time I stopped and tried to point it out to Jess it was gone. Other than that we've only seen squished ones..

When I was working in Venezuela we'd get the occasional snake poking about, but the worst bit was finding scorpions in our house. We had a black and white marble floor so the little bastards were hard to spot.
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #23
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,558
Python

Heading home late one dark & stormy night to the last house at the end of the road I ran across a large tree branch.
It was about thick enough to get on the pegs but not thick enough to warrant lofting the wheel. It's ends were in the grass both sides of the track and I thought to myself "I'll clear that off the track in the morning"

Come morning it was gone
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #24
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,969
Eek These photo's give me the heebies...

If the stories are to be believed these where both in Aus.

speedhump...

Not a happy snake...

kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #25
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,579
Took these the other night at work. (Pilbara, W.A.). I'ts a brown, not very big, about 4 1/2', devouring a Rosens, that hadn't made it across the road. It was only marginally smaller! Took about 20 mins to fit it in.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #28
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #29
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE

Took these the other night at work. (Pilbara, W.A.). I'ts a brown, not very big, about 4 1/2', devouring a Rosens, that hadn't made it across the road. It was only marginally smaller! Took about 20 mins to fit it in.
Hi Bootlace!

I am sure that there are some "reptologist" types somewhere in the snake research world out there, that would be interested to see those photo's of yours... If I am not totally mistaken; from my time spent viewing theDiscovery Channel - what you have on film there is a snake in it's most vulnerable state (almost defenseless while eating)?

The fact that the snake it consumed was only marginally smaller than itself is also fascinating to me!

Anyway, thanks for the shots! Those ones of the big Pythons that kiwipeet contributed were kinda scary to look at too... especially the pissed off one in the fence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #30
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
You'll note thats an electric fence its got itself caught up in ...
No wonder its pissed
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote