Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #61
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Hope it wasn't hurt
Who? my mate or the lizard?
no it was fine, then took it back where I picked it up on the way home, the lizard that is.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #62
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude
first ones a gecko ay,second one is a bearded dragon,fifth one is a jimmy lizard??
First two are actually different ones. Maybe they are male and female ? I saw ALOT of geckos, but I thought they all had "suction cup feet" and climbed walls ? All the ones I saw had much smoother skin than this one, and they didn't have claws.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #63
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo
Who? my mate or the lizard?
no it was fine, then took it back where I picked it up on the way home, the lizard that is.
good on ya

bet your mate made a few noises, huh

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #64
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,979
ya your right,the first one looks like it could be a baby bearded dragon???
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 AM   #65
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
escape from NY. haha f'n laugh. haha
shouldhave checked this thread earlier.

real snake story:
tucking into a tight right on a tight sandy track in the canunda coast area, right leg pointing forward, body rigid ready for the likley front end knife into the sand and i see my right be booted foot has skimmed the sand and picked up a sizeable tiger snake.

man i shaat. didnt stack fortuantly... but fak. heart pumpin moment.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #66
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Don't know if this is called a Blue Tongue or a Stubby tail lizard ?
"Mallee Speed Hump"

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #67
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
GravelSeeker.
The last 3 look like they are all Blue tongue lizards, what they are called around here anyway. I get them all over my block during summer. You can easily pick them up by grabbing them behind the head. They hiss and spit but are harmless. And the story that they keep snakes away is a myth - I've seen a few of both on the same day in the same area.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #68
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves
GravelSeeker.
The last 3 look like they are all Blue tongue lizards, what they are called around here anyway. I get them all over my block during summer. You can easily pick them up by grabbing them behind the head. They hiss and spit but are harmless. And the story that they keep snakes away is a myth - I've seen a few of both on the same day in the same area.
true. bobbies or bluetounges.

they eat you snails, snail pellets(!), cat food/dog food.
check for ticks particularly in the scales behind the ears.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #69
MungoP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Watagan's snakes

I was riding around the Watagans at the end of March a month ago and ran over a red bellied black snake and a diamond python both sunning themselves. They just looked like branches. I also saw a dead fox on the road.

I've had FIVE diamond pythons on my roof at one time a few years ago but then we had one female living in the roof and a few lads too I suspect. They'd come out in the morning and sun themselves on our see through roof over the deck and bolt back under the roof tiles at the first hint of any breeze. I had a Parks and Wildlife man come to catch a brush turkey. I told him to go on the roof to look at the four I thought were up there and he came back and said there were five. You count snakes by counting tails, he told me.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #70
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,429
[quote=Gravel Seeker]
  1. QLD. Heading west, just before Georgetown. Gravel road. Yellow. 100-120 cm. Small head. From pictures I've seen online it looked more like a Taipan than a treesnake. (pic below)
  2. WA. Coming back from Cape Leveque down to Broome and this dead snake was lying in the middle of the road (pic below). Brown or Taipan ?
  3. WA. Heading south-east, halway between Perth and Albany on the "The Snake Trail" (walking trail from Perth to Esperance ?) Crossing the trail infront of me. All black. About 80cm. Small head. Black snake ?
  4. SA. Grampians (Mt. Mitchell). Coming down from the top on narrow asphalt and it crossed in front of me. Heavy on the brakes and ran back to get film of it, but managed to hit the button when I grabbed the camera.I filmed the ground running up the road and just as the tail of the snake gets in frame I hit the button to start recording and instead stopped the recording.... doh :lol
    Copper/ bronze. 80-100 cm. Small head. Copperhead ?
  5. VIC. Snowy ranges/ Alpine nat park. Headed west/northwest. Gravelroad. Lefthand corner with 30-50 cm deep ditch. Inside corner my left foot ran straight over (never touched) a snake. 80cm. Black with red underside. I told someone about this red bellied, black snake I'd seen and wondered if he knew what it was called. He laughed and told med it was indeed called a red-bellied-black-snake
You're descriptions are not detailed enough to give a confident identification. Sorry.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #71
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Reptile Id

Okay, first one is an Eastern Two-lined Dragon, Diporiphora australis, I grew up knowing them as nobby-nobby's. Then you have a Bearded Dragon, most likely Centralian or Inland species, Pogona vitticeps, popular pets. The next one is probably of the Family Agamidae (Dragons) also but as its not from my part of the country, I will not attempt and identification however, it does look very much like the dragon that waves as part of its behaviour. I have also seen this Lace Monitor, Varanus varius, at Canarvon Gorge before hiking the 26km track in one day unplanned because my mother couldn't read the map!!!
The next skink will be in the Family Scincidae but its not a suitable photo for ID.
Then you have a beautiful Shingleback, Trachydosaurus rugosus. Colour patterns vary across the country as do common names: sleepy lizard, leaf-tail lizard, stub-tail lizard. I like to think of them as 'Committed Lizards' as the males will court the female for six months, will often spend their life with the one partner and can be seen grieving for their mate on the side of the road which is why you often see two dead near each other.

Now, I have to go and remove the ticks from the snake that I got out of some guys ute this morning before getting a snake out of a yard that has been stuck there all weekend.
Happy Herping!!!

Snakechick
Dip App Sci (WWR), B App Sci (PAM), Grad Cert App Sci (CVM), Reptile catcher, carer & owner.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #72
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV
Okay, first one is an Eastern Two-lined Dragon, Diporiphora australis, I grew up knowing them as nobby-nobby's. Then you have a Bearded Dragon, most likely Centralian or Inland species, Pogona vitticeps, popular pets. The next one is probably of the Family Agamidae (Dragons) also but as its not from my part of the country, I will not attempt and identification however, it does look very much like the dragon that waves as part of its behaviour. I have also seen this Lace Monitor, Varanus varius, at Canarvon Gorge before hiking the 26km track in one day unplanned because my mother couldn't read the map!!!
The next skink will be in the Family Scincidae but its not a suitable photo for ID.
Then you have a beautiful Shingleback, Trachydosaurus rugosus. Colour patterns vary across the country as do common names: sleepy lizard, leaf-tail lizard, stub-tail lizard. I like to think of them as 'Committed Lizards' as the males will court the female for six months, will often spend their life with the one partner and can be seen grieving for their mate on the side of the road which is why you often see two dead near each other.

Now, I have to go and remove the ticks from the snake that I got out of some guys ute this morning before getting a snake out of a yard that has been stuck there all weekend.
Happy Herping!!!

Snakechick
Dip App Sci (WWR), B App Sci (PAM), Grad Cert App Sci (CVM), Reptile catcher, carer & owner.
Thanks !
Just in case it wasn't clear, the first two pics are two different lizards.
So the last two (last three pics) are the same species ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #73
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

The first two are of the same family and I'd say even same genus, probably just diff spp or subspp.
The last three photos are of Shinglebacks.

Snakechick.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #74
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Alright

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #75
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,979
geez i was just guessin did i get one right at least?
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote