Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #46
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots Magoon

Those plastic loop deals you added to the Pelican are a great idea! I'm gonna crib it and do the same thing to my 1550.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #47
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 944
Those plastic loops that Hoots is using look exactly like the tie downs (and I bet they are) on Ford Explorer roof racks. I just installed them on my cousins Explorer.

When you go to the junkyard bring an impact screwdriver and hammer to get the ends of the rails off and then just slide them off along with the racks.

Junkyards or recyclers usually have a dozen or so explorers.

dave
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #48
BooneDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Pelican 1200 on KTM 625sxc

-------------------------------------
Yamaha FJR1300AE
KTM 625 SXC
BooneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #49
KTMax m AL
Fagarwe tribal member AL

Oddometer: 303
640 top box.

Genuine US Gov surplus the only way to go cost was all of $2.00.

Made up a quick release bracket after one trip with it bolted down it's much nicer to be able to remove it - quick.

Contents - changing all the time.
Attached Images

KTMax m AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #50
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax m AL

Made up a quick release bracket after one trip with it bolted down it's much nicer to be able to remove it - quick.

Okay that's great, but have you checked it with a Geiger Counter?

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 AM   #51
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Oddometer: 707
Bought two 1550's off Ebay for $50 ea last year. I keep one on all the time for waterproof compartment to carry my laptop and briefcase back and forth to work. Add saddlebags the other 1550 for camping and touring.

http://www.floridatrailriders.org
blimpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #52
lmcdonald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Mounting

For the mechanically challenged (AKA, me!) - how do you attach a Pelican to the rack? I've got a DR650 with a large (23" x 12") rack.
lmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #53
KTMax m AL
Fagarwe tribal member AL

Oddometer: 303
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat
Okay that's great, but have you checked it with a Geiger Counter?
Dang - I was wondering why it glowed in the dark.

It had some type of water meter in it.
KTMax m AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #54
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax m AL

I'd be interested in the details of your quick release bracket if you have a minute to snap some pictures.

Thanks!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #55
Stratplexi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
D606's. That rear tire had less than 50 miles when I sold the bike a month ago. It was a tough parting, but then one can only ride one off-road bike at a time and my DRZ won the argument

I use a 1450 case on my DRZ as well.
That KLR was sweet. I just bought a 2007 just like yours and I am in the process of farkling and making it mine. I noticed you got rid of the dogs @ss (plate mount) and moved the plate to the rear fender. Can you please share some details on how you did this? Do you have any more pics showing the mod?

Also, did you have your seat recovered? How did you get rid of the big goofy Kawasaki lettering on the seat?

Thanks!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #56
BooneDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcdonald
For the mechanically challenged (AKA, me!) - how do you attach a Pelican to the rack? I've got a DR650 with a large (23" x 12") rack.
I'm sure everyone does something different, and I KNOW there are much more clever designs that my simple setup, but here's what I did.

Here's the bike with two different size pelicans (same bike, just swapable tank and seat)

Here is the inside of the boxes, with 4 screw on knobs to hold it to the rack... (knobs from Ace Hardware)

I used two pieces of steel, hole drilled in each end with bolts/nuts to make one assembly.

I slip those two pieces under the rack, and use a piece of innertube to hold them in place. This makes changing cases easy, don't have to fumble with screws and brackets under the rack. But it's also very easy to pull the rubber band off and remove them from the rack if I don't want any hard case at all.

I know this doesn't hold a candle to some of the slick solutions people come up with, but this was a very easy thing to do, and seems to give me a good combination of anything from clean rack to currently two different size cases.

Yamaha FJR1300AE
KTM 625 SXC
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #57
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
strat-

real simple to move the plate to the fender. Look under the stock bit- there's two bolts that hold it to the upper fender. Remove, chuck the lower fender, and reinstall bolts.

remove the plate from the lower fender. Remove the plate mount as well. Place the mount in place under the taillight, leaving room for the plate to fit under the light. Drill two holes, install bolts to fender, you're mostly done.

To light the plate: get Light'nin Boltz from Ebay or Cyclegear or wherever you can find them. Wire them in to the stock tlight harness you disconnected when you removed the stock plate light. They're LEDs built into theplate holddown bolts. I actually drilled two holes, one behind each bolt, to enable the wires to go through. Works a champ.
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #58
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
I like your solution, Boone. I just ordered a 1550 off Ebay for $78, shipped. What size are the boxes you use?

Looks like I gotta go grab those big rubber bans I tossed in the garage trash the other day. They're from my kid's Moon Shoes and he never uses them.

I needed something that I could carry my laptop in, so that's why I went with the 1550. I may go with 1550's for side panniers as well, or somethng smaller.
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #59
BooneDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, the orange one is a 1500. It was a junker from ebay that I repaired(I actually have 4 of them, $10 each)

It or the 1550 would be good sized for carrying things.

The small black one is a 1200. I use it as a waterproof place to keep cameral, cell phone, etc, when on rides where I might be getting very wet and muddy.

Those rubber bands are actually tire innertubes, cut across. Not sure what those particular ones came from. Maybe a tube from my son's xr50, or a Mt. Bike tube. In any case, they make great, heavy duty rubber bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
I like your solution, Boone. I just ordered a 1550 off Ebay for $78, shipped. What size are the boxes you use?

Looks like I gotta go grab those big rubber bans I tossed in the garage trash the other day. They're from my kid's Moon Shoes and he never uses them.

I needed something that I could carry my laptop in, so that's why I went with the 1550. I may go with 1550's for side panniers as well, or somethng smaller.

Yamaha FJR1300AE
KTM 625 SXC
Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #60
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfoot777
tool tubes
I like the idea of putting the weight down low, but if you ever hit a rut in the trail whilst dirt riding every thing would come to an abrupt halt. I am a long time single track loon and this situation may never come up while on most dual sport rides. I glued together these pieces of 3"and 4" ABS with a coupler and use it for my tire irons and a thick tool roll, might be able to fit one ft tube in there as well. I use a cortech sport tail bag for every thing else and it holds plenty.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 09:56 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote