User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Laugh KTM 950SM 2-1 exhaust interim solution built

just picked up a yosh RS-3 can from a 1200 Bandit. $75, weighs 5.5 lbs vs 10.5 ea. 3" ID on the inlet.

I plan to use the stock headers up to the collector then have a mid pipe fabricated to replace the stock Y midpipe

test fit very good. test sound F,,,ing awsome. Jetting uh we'll see. I've done the basic changes but the pilot circuit is still lean. just off idle up is great. Stock cans without cats

if any interest i will post a few pics.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90

wsdbikes screwed with this post 10-14-2007 at 06:38 AM
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
mrkennethporter
Escaped Lunatic Beware!

Oddometer: 108
god yes. get posting
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

Interim solution

So I was thinking about this for awhile and started looking around for an aftermarket can used. Something from a big bore to ensure plenty of flow.

Found the RS-3 used on CL for $75. Its from a 1200 Bandit. good shape

About the same size.

here is the stock collector. I plan to have a mid-pipe made from here to the muffler.

here is the stock Y connector and clamp

I mounted the Yosh up to the stock muffler outlet and started her up. sounded pretty good. A bit loud but, oh well.
I can't wait so I take a few measurements and take a trip to AutoZone.
couple parts-

Actually 2 reducers and one stainless flex pipe, a hacksaw and some fabrication so this would fit the collector and use the stock clamp.

Ok that fits. snug the clamp down a few times to mold the part to the flange. the flex pipe slides right on. Sweet.

Lets flex it around and slide it into the other reducer. ooops. need to cut a slot, work it in then three holes and screws to keep it snug. The small end of the reducer fits right into the muffler.

looks pretty good. Not perfect and a bit higher than I planned but, for now it will work I think. Clears the body work nicely.
here is the Before and after-

from the rear you can see the large opening. it is not quite straight due to the limitations of the flex pipe.

Went for a quick spin to see how far off the jetting is. Kinda loud, of course still lean on the idle circuit but, once the throttle opens up it runs pretty clean. Nice slow ride. No surprises. Uh kinda loud though.

Took wifey for a ride to the beach. Smooth, fast roll on in 2nd, nice loooooonnnnngggggg wheelie. Hm, I think I picked up a bit of mid-range. deceleration still has a bunch of popping due to the screws being too far in. Gonna pull the tank and take care of that tomorrow. the pops are really loud now with the yosh can. However, on acceleration the Yosh pipe has a pretty good sound, loud but not too annoying. I am not a fan of loud pipes in residental areas but, out on the road it is a sweet sound.

Hmmm.. a little servo and a baffled butterfly in the end spout of the can could be interesting. later on that...

So, $75 for a used can, $10 at autozone and about 2 hours. Yosh can and bracket 5.5 lbs. flex pipe and reducers about 1.5 lbs. , stock cans 22 lbs. stock Y about 2 lbs. I expect the custom mid-pipe will be about a pound so net weight savings of 17 lbs.

all the fittings run male to female, the only clamp is the stock one at the collector flange. not totally sealed there but, close enough. Some header wrap all the way up will take care of the minor leakage till the mid-pipe is built.

All in all not a bad days work. Bringing southern engineering to the Pacific Northwet is my duty and pleasure. Now, if I just had the headers from the Super Enduro to work with.......

BTW-I'll be selling the plans on ebay for $300.00

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub

Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
HELL YEAH!!! That is what I been talking about!

I 've been cooking up a single side pipe for my 950sm as well. Mine needs to have a spark arrestor, so I am still limited on cans.

I cant wait to get my s-bend fabed up. I have a great appreciation for the "custom" s-bend you have demonstrated, however, I would get shot if I showed up with that flex pipe ducttapped onto my header...(and I would use duct tape!)
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

I plan on having a mid-pipe made up for it that will use the stock collector clamp and stainless. I havent decide on a bolt on or slip on end though. Slip on would be cheaper I think.

This works for now though.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
tkorpi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
What do you have vented into the toothpaste tube that's zip tied to your frame?

tkorpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

thanks so much for pointing it out and ignoring the engineering genius of the 2-1

the catch bottle has the hose from the rear of the airbox in it. I have a nice aluminum replacement for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi
What do you have vented into the toothpaste tube that's zip tied to your frame?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
tkorpi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes
thanks so much for pointing it out and ignoring the engineering genius of the 2-1

the catch bottle has the hose from the rear of the airbox in it. I have a nice aluminum replacement for it.
The SAS plumbing? Interesting.

Wasn't my intention to ignore the genius 2-1 solution! That bottle just caught my eye.

About the 2-1 solution...beside the HUGE weight loss, what are the benefits of a 2-1 exhaust vs. the stock 2-1-2 type of exhaust?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

I picked up some significant power with the yosh can vs the 2 stock cans. ( I had already jetted Per common suggested spec for aftermarket cans).

I think is all in the design of the system and the flow. I assumed that the headers were equal length or at least close. And that a can from a 4-1 liter class would have plenty of flow. It does. I believe the 2 cans is cosmetic driven vs performance.

I dont know the formula but, I believe there would be an optimum system for 2-1 or 2-1-2 that would make comparable power. head pipe length, collector size muffler flow etc.

For me, I like not going with the crowd. I like choices and I like to 'improve' stuff.

I look forward to what the dyno says

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi
The SAS plumbing? Interesting.

Wasn't my intention to ignore the genius 2-1 solution! That bottle just caught my eye.

About the 2-1 solution...beside the HUGE weight loss, what are the benefits of a 2-1 exhaust vs. the stock 2-1-2 type of exhaust?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
I picked up some significant power with the yosh can vs the 2 stock cans. ( I had already jetted Per common suggested spec for aftermarket cans).

I think is all in the design of the system and the flow. I assumed that the headers were equal length or at least close. And that a can from a 4-1 liter class would have plenty of flow. It does. I believe the 2 cans is cosmetic driven vs performance.
I don't know about the engineer's actual ideas, but one reason to use two cans is to get enough exhaust system volume to meet noise emissions standards. More muffler volume=lower noise level.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

I can say the yosh can is pretty loud. It is not raspy or popping like a harley with straight pipes. (except on decel.) I have allways liked the yosh can sound but, I may have to try one that is quieter. Loud exhaust at the track is cool but, i dont like it on the street much. especially in residential areas.
of course, i would rather hear any motorcycle go by instead of those damn thumping stereos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR
I don't know about the engineer's actual ideas, but one reason to use two cans is to get enough exhaust system volume to meet noise emissions standards. More muffler volume=lower noise level.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

finally spent the 1.5 hours to pull the carbs and adjust the idle screws. went from 2.25 to 2 on F and R
yeehaa, easy start, no popping on decel. no surging off idle.

much more enjoyable to ride.

Dyno run is in order

Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
tr6
Banned

Oddometer: 184
hmmm

So you actually turned them in 1/4 turn?
On my last bike that would of given it less gas and more popping. I know nothing about these carbs.

Quote:
finally spent the 1.5 hours to pull the carbs and adjust the idle screws. went from 2.25 to 2 on F and R
yeehaa, easy start, no popping on decel. no surging off idle.

much more enjoyable to ride.

Dyno run is in order
tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
wsdbikes OP
New Max is Mad

i had look over many posts prior to the first time I pulled the carbs and went with the 2.25 turns. I look at a bunch again before this last time and it looks like turning the screws in reduces the air thus making the circuit richer.
I actually found one post with a link to a spreadsheet with settings from lots of folks with elevation jet sizes etc. there was quite a range.
I just figure a quarter turn would be about right. actually I think I could back off just a smidge and be in good shape.

problem is it takes an hour and a half to do it. seems pretty good right now so I think i will do a dyno run and see where its at. After I get the mid pipe made.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6
So you actually turned them in 1/4 turn?
On my last bike that would of given it less gas and more popping. I know nothing about these carbs.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 AM   #15
tkorpi
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm pretty sure that those are fuel screws. Turning them in will reduce fuel and lean out the mixture. Turn them out for a richer mixture.