Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #2356
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster
If the Versys were available with a 19" front wheel, I'd have one in my garage today. Leave the 17" to the er6n and put the 19 on the Versys ala Vstrom.
It pushes all my other buttons - love the sound, feel, looks (of the 2010), fuel range and price, but I want more of a dirt slant to the wheel size.
19" wheel on the Versys is an easy and inexpensive mod. it ain't rocket science for pete's sake.

jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #2357
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
19" wheel on the Versys is an easy and inexpensive mod. it ain't rocket science for pete's sake.

What wheel did you use?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #2358
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

that's a DL1000 wheel. very easy to set up and uses the stock versys calipers. you can switch back and forth between your stock 17" and the 19" in minutes if you want to. allows you to run 150/70-17 and 110/80-19 in TKCs for instance and that's what mounted in the photo.

i put up the link before, but here it is one last time for the versys guys that want a 19" front. you don't have to be some kind of master machinist or trained wrench, it's easy.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=5480&page=8

towards the bottom of the page.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #2359
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,994
Thanks, I tried to use a DL650 wheel, but it was way off.

What about dirt oriented foot pegs? I got some from D2moto for my KLR, but they don't fit the Versys. Anybody know who makes some for the Versys?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #2360
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

The problem is not the wee wheel, its the wheel bearing. Motech came out with pegs for the versus. Try twiisted throttle.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #2361
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:

I never inferred it was anything like rocket surgery. The point I was trying to make is that Kawasaki is trying to compete with the WeeStrom and IMHO is losing sales by not putting the 19 on the Versys and leaving the 17 to the other 650 models.
I think Kawasaki is missing potential here by not marketing the Versys as more of an Adventure bike. I see it as fitting into a substantial niche between the 650 singles and bikes like the big $$$ KTMs and BMWs. I know I was sitting on one in the showroom, enamored, checkbook in my pocket, and passed because of the 17" front.
Of course your timely tip has me thinking...
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #2362
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy
Cheers for the pictures of the tankbags mate!

I'm almost set on the FAMSA E-Max bag but I would also consider Wolfman Rainier or Explorer Lite. It's a matter of availability for me.
Now managed to get hold of the Wolfman Rainier and Explorer Lite tank bags to photograph on the Versys. I've added the Wolfman Express photo's back in for size comparison.

Wolfman Express Tank Bag, this is also my favourite, and the one that will be staying on the bike.

Wolfman Explorer Lite -

Wolfman Rainier, obviously the biggest of the three with 4 external pockets (3 removable).

Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #2363
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster
I never inferred it was anything like rocket surgery. The point I was trying to make is that Kawasaki is trying to compete with the WeeStrom and IMHO is losing sales by not putting the 19 on the Versys and leaving the 17 to the other 650 models.
I think Kawasaki is missing potential here by not marketing the Versys as more of an Adventure bike. I see it as fitting into a substantial niche between the 650 singles and bikes like the big $$$ KTMs and BMWs. I know I was sitting on one in the showroom, enamored, checkbook in my pocket, and passed because of the 17" front.
Of course your timely tip has me thinking...
I suppose it horses for courses, I'm not planning on doing any off road, so the 17" wheels and choice of road rubber was a bonus for me. Whichever way Kawasaki did it, they would have lost sales to someone I guess.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #2364
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Parts are so cheap I have two sets of wheels with different tires mounted.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #2365
ThomasM
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb Greeny Check in

Allright Gentleman,

let me also Check in. I am a Versys rider from Bavaria Germany. At the Year end of 2008 I ordered a 2009 Model in green. The bike has a license plate for the complete year. During the months, I added some stuff:
1. Hand guards by Acerbis Multiplo E (E like Enduro)
2. Cross brace for the handlebars
3. Roadbook case by Acerbis
4. Engine guard by SW-Motech
5. Foot peg lowering (important for my long legs)
6. TomTom Raider2
7. Windshield Touring by MRA
8. Electrical Outlet for Boardnet
9. Heck Jack (second leg for service)
10. Large Sidestand plate by Touratech
11. Tank bag and side bags by Moto Detail
12. Top Case

Right now, I have about 10.000km at the clock. The front tire is still the first. The dirty one is changed to Dunlop Roadsmart after 8.000km.

We still have snow and temperatures below 10C (and a lot of salt on the stretts). But it's getting better... Let's see...

Thomas
Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #2366
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
I suppose it horses for courses, I'm not planning on doing any off road, so the 17" wheels and choice of road rubber was a bonus for me. Whichever way Kawasaki did it, they would have lost sales to someone I guess.
You may be right, but it makes more sense to me to give people who want 17s two choices in the Ninja and er6n and those who want 19s the Versys, instead of nobody having a choice of 19s.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #2367
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
that's a DL1000 wheel. very easy to set up and uses the stock versys calipers. you can switch back and forth between your stock 17" and the 19" in minutes if you want to. allows you to run 150/70-17 and 110/80-19 in TKCs for instance and that's what mounted in the photo.

i put up the link before, but here it is one last time for the versys guys that want a 19" front. you don't have to be some kind of master machinist or trained wrench, it's easy.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=5480&page=8

towards the bottom of the page.
Thank you very much, I will do this mod as soom as I find a wheel. I allready got the machine shop! It will do till I can get a F8000GS.
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #2368
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg
Thank you very much, I will do this mod as soom as I find a wheel. I allready got the machine shop! It will do till I can get a F8000GS.
that new F8000GS sounds like a heavy mofo, but if you just get the regular F800, you can put your machinist skills to work and properly fix all the things the guys are complaining about on that bike.

the versys is already a pretty darn good gravel runner with decent tires. i ran that versys suspended ER6 with a 130/80 TKC on the front on thousands of miles of gravel last season. campbell, signpost, dempster, TOW, dalton, denali, etc., no problem. bike looks pretty wild with that tire on the front, and it's also a wheel saver on those rough roads.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #2369
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
that new F8000GS sounds like a heavy mofo, but if you just get the regular F800, you can put your machinist skills to work and properly fix all the things the guys are complaining about on that bike.

the versys is already a pretty darn good gravel runner with decent tires. i ran that versys suspended ER6 with a 130/80 TKC on the front on thousands of miles of gravel last season. campbell, signpost, dempster, TOW, dalton, denali, etc., no problem. bike looks pretty wild with that tire on the front, and it's also a wheel saver on those rough roads.
Did you raise or shorten the forks to compensate for the taller tire/wheel? Did it effect the handling or weight the rear and lighten the front?
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #2370
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg
Did you raise or shorten the forks to compensate for the taller tire/wheel? Did it effect the handling or weight the rear and lighten the front?
this tire/wheel is similar in diameter to the 130/80 tourance which is my regular front road tire. i started the tourance with the forks all the way down in the clamps and adjusted until i was satisfied with the handling. the fork projection ended up at 15mm above the top clamp. i'm going through the same procedure with the 19" front.

i'm not racing out there, but i do run pretty hard, paved or gravel. handles fine for me.