User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #46
2xadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
SW-Motech Rack GIVI Hardbag source

To answer the source questions for the Kawasaki Tail Rack Compatible side bag racks:

California Sport Touring, Inc.
Tel. (510) 741-3700
Order details were:
Ordered: 1 kft.08.603.150 SW MOTECH CONTOUR RACK FOR V35 VERSYS 650 $197.98
Ordered: 1 V35N V35 GIVI CASES FLAT BLACK $466.98
2xadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #47
Ramble
Scramble

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting1
I grew up north of you in Medina, so returning to cold, grey skies of Ohio, naaa! Will meet in Phoenix better. I like Missouri though! In Albuquerque it gets cold, but you can ride almost all year!
Small world, I'm from Medina, too. PM sent.

For everyone else, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....

Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #48
kevrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
has anyone ADV'd a Versys yet? you know... proper bash plate, longer travel suspension, larger diameter front wheel, maybe spoked rims..... seems like it would be a fairly easy conversion.

i'm sure it handles gravel roads just fine as delivered, better than my VFR anyway. but it can be better, at the cost of a little pavement prowess. small price i think. i'd pay.
kevrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #49
UmberHand
Highlander

Oddometer: 29
Versys in Bryan, Texas

Had my Versys for a few months - have a few miles on it. Here is a shot of it on my last trip to Mexico. It was taken near Acambaro, fairly close to Mexico City.

Don

UmberHand screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 04:35 PM
UmberHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #50
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider
has anyone ADV'd a Versys yet? you know... proper bash plate, longer travel suspension, larger diameter front wheel, maybe spoked rims..... seems like it would be a fairly easy conversion.
Yeah, what he said. Any pics out there of a Versys with nobbies?

Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #51
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Talking Two weeks and 3K miles

I'm no youngster, yet 2000 miles of frost, fog and rain was not so bad on my new VERSYS. I steped down from heavy cruisers and no disapointment.
Florida to the smokies and back over three days. Great ride. Smooth and comfortable. i have the lrger wind scren, droped the bars back for an even better "up-right" riding position, and even found a spot to use some forward Cruising pegs just to mix up the ride a little. This is one Versysable ride. Think I'll keep it.

Did i forget; A Gel seat pad!

guesswork screwed with this post 12-05-2007 at 08:17 AM
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #52
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
What did you use for the forward pegs? Post some pics
Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #53
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Pick pegs off ebay. I beleive they were from 82 SX. Not sure, will work on getting some pic up.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #54
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,877
Versy Calgary!

Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary Alta has a new 07 Black Versy on the floor $6700.cdn. Just thought I'd mention thought it was a good price. Oh yea with hard bags too.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #55
Bycharlie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Got mine on CT

After months threatening Kawasaki USA and my dealer by phone, email etc I finally got the first one on town. It’s not a powerful bike (just enough) but it's a hell of a fun bike to ride...
Didn't like the suspension right away, too stiff on dirt roads and even on beaten up asphalt but after some easy fine tune it was smooooth - you can ride fairly fast and comfortable anywhere now.
My 02 1000 Vee was very good overall but heavy on dirt, my short relation with my KLR 650 08 left a good impression, awesome go anywhere bike (really) but too basic, no fun, no speed...
So I guess Versys is the balance for me. Not too heavy, not too strong but still agile, fun and powerful enough.
I just bought a pair of heated gloves to complement my winter gear... don't want to miss any ridding time.

Plan to make it more dirt oriented… let’s see what the aftermarket guys will bring to the game, so far there are not many things around…
Bycharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #56
kevrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
i was just looking over the specs for Kawi's 450 dirtbikes. they both have USD forks, diameter not listed. but i think 12" of travel would be too much for a Versys, anyway.

not sure what the fork internals are like (damper rod? cartridge?) but it might be easier to just install shorter spacers and longer springs. maybe a longer shock would give more rear travel, but sourcing one might be difficult right now and the seat is high already. could just install a 19" wheel, slide the triples 3cm down the forks to compensate, and call it a day.

what other issues are there... muffler/ground clearance... bash plate... i hope someone figures all of this out before i have to do it!
kevrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #57
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider

i'm sure it handles gravel roads just fine as delivered, better than my VFR anyway. but it can be better, at the cost of a little pavement prowess. small price i think. i'd pay.
yeesssssss.... pervert that bike and make it do tricks

what size are those forkie tubes? i'd look at stealing from another bike - if an older bike like a XR400 or other Kawa, could get the forks, wheel, caliper probably not a lot of dough.... 21" front, dogbones rear.

if I ever hear of someone working out the formula on this, I'd be tempted. a poor man's F800GS she is...... if all that done righteously
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #58
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

VERSYS forward Pegs;

Piano part for my set-up was to remove left and right foreard engine mount (bolts) and replace them with a 7/16 threaded rod all the way thru. This gives a place to hang your Pegs as it extends out. I beefed this by threading those hex connector bolts on each side (Two on left and one on right). These are the type used to connect two continious threaded rods. It gave about 4 inches on the long side and two on the short. Here I hung my used pegs (mine off an old Yamaha SX). they worked very well because the had an offset of about two inches which allowed for a little more leg extention. My larger shield, Gel seat and forward pegs made for dooable 12 hr. treck. Good set-up for more up-right cruiseing position on Highway.

Further; just hacksaw off the rod once you determine the required length.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #59
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,250
No dog bones, Zapp. No linkage for the rear suspension.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #60
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
I know this isn't a popular view in Europe but the Versys, like the bike it is developed from, the ER6F (or Ninja650 as I think it is known as in the US), is simply not a touring or adventure bike, at least for someone of my frame and height.

The pegs are too far back and despite the highish bars, the seat throws you forward and I personally got wrist ache unless doing over 60 mph on both bikes. I owned the ER6f for a while and it had a stonkingly good engine, but eventually the total lack of comfort did it for me.

Almost all biking journalists judge bikes on the basis of a very short ride and rarely imagine the qualities, or lack thereof, that become apparent after weeks or months of ownership. They also tend to go for funky designs rather than solid characteristics. The Versys might be a "fun" bike but if I had to tour, it would be a very wearing and irritating experience.
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote