Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #61
kevrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by robobiker
I know this isn't a popular view in Europe but the Versys, like the bike it is developed from, the ER6F (or Ninja650 as I think it is known as in the US), is simply not a touring or adventure bike, at least for someone of my frame and height.
robo, for those of us who don't know you and don't own a Versys, this remark might be more useful if you describe your frame and height with numbers.

kevrider screwed with this post 12-07-2007 at 03:15 PM
kevrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #62
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I hope to pick mine up on Monday. The price was right and the bike just has to be fun.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #63
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,276
Quote:
I know this isn't a popular view in Europe but the Versys, like the bike it is developed from, the ER6F (or Ninja650 as I think it is known as in the US), is simply not a touring or adventure bike, at least for someone of my frame and height.

The pegs are too far back and despite the highish bars, the seat throws you forward and I personally got wrist ache unless doing over 60 mph on both bikes. I owned the ER6f for a while and it had a stonkingly good engine, but eventually the total lack of comfort did it for me.

Almost all biking journalists judge bikes on the basis of a very short ride and rarely imagine the qualities, or lack thereof, that become apparent after weeks or months of ownership. They also tend to go for funky designs rather than solid characteristics. The Versys might be a "fun" bike but if I had to tour, it would be a very wearing and irritating experience.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but thanks for your opinion. Sucks that the bike does not work for you, but your pronouncements on this motorcycle are your opinion and nothing more. "Simply not a touring or adventure bike"? How long have you owned one, now?

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #64
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Please don't take this the wrong way, but thanks for your opinion. Sucks that the bike does not work for you, but your pronouncements on this motorcycle are your opinion and nothing more. "Simply not a touring or adventure bike"? How long have you owned one, now?
Sure, I did imply that it was my opinion and did concede that it was not maybe a popular opinion in Europe. I'll answer the previous post too: I am average build and 5 feet 8 inches. The reason I am relating the ER6F to the Versys is that they are in many respects similar bikes except for overall height and slightly different torque and power implementation on the Versys, and though the Versys is a bit too high for absolutely safe foot down security at my height that is not influencing my opinion about it as an adventure or touring bike.

There's no doubt that both the ER6F and Versys have great engines and on smooth roads handle very nicely. It is the ergonomics of both bikes that concern me. I owned the ER6F for about a year. I haven't owned the Versys but did have a very long test with attention to its potential over long rides on varying terrain. The handling of both bikes is quite similar, but the Versys handles bumps and potholes a little better than the ER6F which is awful over rough tarmac.

If I wanted to go long distances on a bike the first point of comfort would have to be the peg position and the seat. Even though the bars are quite high I was still getting wrist ache on the Versys. You will see from one post above this that even though the bars look reasonable, because the small seat is angled forward to quite an extreme (see the picture in post above) and the peg position encourages this even more, you still get too much weight on the wrists except when at high speed, hence the above poster's solution to add after market bars which are further back. On my test I did ask for the bars to be adjusted by turning them but it made no difference. The fault lies mainly in that seat. You will also note that another owner has had to install more forward pegs to alleviate leg-ache with the standard pegs. My opinion here is based on the standard bike. The overall feeling, even with my small stature, is that the whole riding position is cramped. You can see that clearly in the pics. Again, this is just one person's opinion...others might find it perfect for them.

The Versys is without doubt a fun bike but I just can't picture it on a tour. I know some people have toured a long way on it, so their opinions are perfectly valid. But I think I am maybe a bit fussy about comfort.

This is my opinion and nothing more.

robobiker screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 12:57 PM
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #65
HunterSon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I am 5'7" with a 28" inseam and after doing a couple of 6 hour rides I can say that the Versys is the most comfortable bike I have ridden. Even better than my '98 Bandit 1200.

Some bikes just do not feel right to some people. My Versys feels perfect to me.
HunterSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #66
kevrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
thanks for the reply, robo. i'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam, so your post is relevant to me.

Quote:
Even though the bars are quite high I was still getting wrist ache on the Versys.
i've only sampled my cousin's Z750S and sat on the Versys & Ninja 650 in the showroom. the Z felt weird to me, but at the time i couldn't difure out why. when looking at the 650s in the shop, i noticed that the handlebar bend makes the grips perfectly horizontal. on my bikes, the grips are not parallel to the ground. instead, they droop such that the outer end is lower than the inner end of the grip. like /---\ instead of just ----- if that makes any sense. it seemed to me that the unnatural rotation caused by that handlebar would cause me some wrist pain on a long ride. wonder if that has anything to do with your conclusions....?
kevrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #67
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,276
Robo, thanks for clarifing that. I'm also about 5'8" -5'9", but I find the VS very comfortable. I can see why you think the pegs are too far back, but the more you ride this thing, the better it gets. I didn't like the handlebar ergos at first, but after a few hundred miles, I got used to them and they feel fine now. The seat is one of the better stock ones I've ever experienced. It looks thin, but hours on it are not a pain like others I've owned.

I plan on using this bike for my traveling bike in the US. I still have a KLR for travel in Mexico and Central America, but that's more of an economical situation than riding one. I don't want to take a bike to CA that I would care too much about losing.

When the aftermarket catches up with this bike, it will do fine as a touring rig. There are luggage options now, and more on the way. Engine protection is coming along, as is other goodies. The alternator is big enough for electric gear and a GPS.

If it doesn't work out for me, I can always trade it for a Wee.

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #68
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I have read in the mags before buying they complained about the seat, I am the oposite and find it extremely comftorble. I am 5-11" and am almost tip toes, but the bike is like a glove. Spring I am ready for a Iron Butt run. There are options for good reason. I fell in love with the Versys on first sight. It beat the Weestrom, KLR and F-series in my purchase. Thanks for your opinion and reasons. I think it is important to hear all sides for those making choices. I believe the Versys will take off once the after market catches up. I still think I need like 3-bikes though!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #69
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Long term relationship with my versys

I have taken several steps to mold my Versys to suit my personal interest and requirements. May see my earlier post in this thread. Results were above expectation and i am planning some serious Iron Butt rides on this machine. this summer to the Rockies and if I can educate myself, I'm thanking Alaska after that. Middle life does not have to be a Crisis!
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #70
UTCiv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15

It's not the best pic, but I wanted to bump the thread for more new Versys owners.
UTCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #71
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
The versys really is a neat looking bike...My wife thinks it's a cool looking bike as well...
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #72
william t.
Studly Adventurer

I have been riding my Versys to work all week and it is fun amd comfy. I am 6'2" and have plenty of room. Of all the bikes I have had in the last 40 years this might just end up being the best. Thanks Kawasaki for building a bike that anyone can ride and have fun on. I plan on riding tomorrow and I will have more details.

My ride home.

http://media.putfile.com/Versys-First-Ride
Old 12-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #73
invader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
I have been riding my Versys to work all week and it is fun amd comfy. I am 6'2" and have plenty of room. Of all the bikes I have had in the last 40 years this might just end up being the best. Thanks Kawasaki for building a bike that anyone can ride and have fun on. I plan on riding tomorrow and I will have more details.

My ride home.

http://media.putfile.com/Versys-First-Ride
Nice twisty road! The Versys seems to handle it like a dream, and it doesn't sound bad at all. Just under 7000 RPM... How many miles are you at now? Can't wait to get my blue one this spring.
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #74
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader
Nice twisty road! The Versys seems to handle it like a dream, and it doesn't sound bad at all. Just under 7000 RPM... How many miles are you at now? Can't wait to get my blue one this spring.
A little over 100 miles. Just got it this week.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #75
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
The Versys begs to be taken on windy roads! I am happy that their are alot of happy buyers, so that now the after market items will appear! I have the rear trunk and tank bag. I am waiting on my oversized wind screen and hand guards. Next will be the crash bars and some Avon tires. Now if only spring would get here! It is 20-degrees and windy now!