ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #346
Sprout640
when in doubt gas it

Oddometer: 108
Talking

Quote:
I don't know where any of those places are, but they all sound good to me! I feel much better and the bike is good to go... some places. I took it out to Pickle today and the stock tire, uh, puts the ''adventure'' back into riding. Hey,another good excuse for falling down! Hi Sprout! Nice to have a fellow Caldwellian (?) on board. Did you go to the Christmas parade?I heard one of the floats got yanked because one kid's mother, recently released from jail, threatened to bring her gang and her gun and remove him from the float? It's the hometown spirit that keeps me here!
Hey Ryan isnt Danskin the riding spot out near Kuna? I know little Gem is at the bottom of freezeout hill in Emmett and Oreana is out on 78 south of Murphy. I cant make Sundays so who ever goes have a great time.

Good to meet you inky. Yup I was at the Light parade, actually walked it with a bunch of families and kids from our church. We were float number 41 and actually had a great time handing out candy and meeting the community, had to be 15 to 20 K people along the route. I missed all the excitment you mentioned, but it doesnt surprise me. A friend of mine on Sunday was behind a young lady at the checkout line in Walgreens when a young kid 'purse snatched' her bag at about noon. A week ago today someone walked in off the street to our church offices while one of the staff was in the basement for 10 minutes and walked off with the churches whole administrative computer... key board, flat screen, tower mouse...

hold things loosley... hold people with care and forge ahead... or hey, just let it get to me and go insane ... right...

S
Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #347
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout640
Hey Ryan isnt Danskin the riding spot out near Kuna? I know little Gem is at the bottom of freezeout hill in Emmett and Oreana is out on 78 south of Murphy. I cant make Sundays so who ever goes have a great time.
Danskin is out east of Boise (on I-84), north of the interstate. You can take the last exit out of Boise, go north for 20 minutes, and you're there (not quite that simple, but no too complicated either).

It could be fun to go out Pearl to Little Gem and goof around at Little Gem for the afternoon. If it's dry enough, a group could venture out to Montour (if the mud/clay isn't present)

If the moisture stays away, Mud Flat / Castle Rock would be a great ride. Only 0.7 on the top right now, witha high of 53 today (which will likely melt it). If it stays dry, this would be a good time.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 11:51 AM
ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #348
BitBucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Danskin Trail Map

Don't know if you guys have seen this or not but, here is on on-line map of Danskin. Many people here in the Boise area refer to this OHV park as Blacks Creek since that is the name of the exit and road you take to get to it.

http://www.idaho-ohv.org/maps/danskin.pdf

I've only been out there once so you can take my information for what it is worth. In my opinion it is a great place to ride. Lot's of narrow single track. Some of the "motorcycle only" trails I rode would have been a challenge on my KLR. They were a lot of fun on the RM250.

Ryan you would be fine on your XT there.

BitBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #349
krolldawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
12/09 Ride

Anyone want to go to Danskin? I've not ridden there much, and would love to have a look around. Would also consider going out to Castle Rock Rd (near Oreanna) if the weather doesn't prevent it (snow). Little Gem Cycle Park also sounds apealing.

Anyone else have some ideas?
I'm interested if it meets IdahoSkiGuy's 40/40 rule. Let's keep an eye on the temps.
krolldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #350
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolldawg
40/40 rule.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #351
krolldawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:

krolldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #352
MotoRogue
pLAys wELL wiTH oTheRs

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
12/09 Ride

Anyone want to go to Danskin? I've not ridden there much, and would love to have a look around. Would also consider going out to Castle Rock Rd (near Oreanna) if the weather doesn't prevent it (snow). Little Gem Cycle Park also sounds apealing.

Anyone else have some ideas?
Darn......the 9th is Christmas tree appropriation day for me........

In my opinion Danskin Mountains is a fantastic area to ride. You can ride easy and moderate stuff to some technical single track that will push you to the edge (or over it........Ryan??? ).
Occasionally they have maps at the Bender Creek Trailhead, but you can pick up a nice glossy map with all of the trails detailed out from the forest service. This is a good option otherwise you may be stuck on lots of ATV trails when you should be riding the good stuff You can get up to Danskin Lookout via some gnarly trails, however it is December so add cleats to your knobbies.
Sunday IdahoSkiGuy, AllGoNoShow and I rode the desert south of Grandview and it was very, very good. Even some dust to chew on plus some occasional sunshine. You can't go wrong in the desert right now.
As far as Little Gem...
Hell, I'm not even riding Sunday so point it and go and report to the troops....
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #353
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!

Oddometer: 1,051
Danskin

Make sure you get the recently updated map. I picked one up at Snake River Yamaha. $5 I think. I'll be driving back from Seattle on the 9th or I owuld hook up with you guys.
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #354
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

I've never been to much into maps. I always print them, and then never bother to pull them out - that would require me to take my hand off the throttle.

But, if I go to Danskin, I'll certainly carry a map so I don't get permenently lost.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #355
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Fixed

Quote:

But, if I go to Danskin, I'll forget the map since I 'm permenently lost.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 AM   #356
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Time to do maintenance.......

The cold weather and the upcoming holiday have prompted me to start on the maintenance and mods to the fleet. The shop is a good place to escape the holiday madness.

It has been great getting to know some of the ADV riders this year and I look forward to doing more riding in 2008. We live in such a wonderful place to ride. Get out those maps and start planning the next adventure, however in 2008 I will try to avoid getting caught in a February blizzard and almost spending the night out in the Owyhees. Grand View never looked so good.
Happy Holidays

idahoskiguy screwed with this post 12-11-2007 at 01:31 PM
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #357
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
...I will try to avoid getting caught in a February blizzard and almost spending the night out in the Owyhees. Grand View never looked so good.
Where you one of those nuts riding with Tim B. and his son-in-law last winter attempting Antelope Ridge? You guys were very lucky! Tim told me all about that experience.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #358
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoskiguy
The cold weather and the upcoming holiday have prompted me to start on the maintenance and mods to the fleet. The shop is a good place to escape the holiday madness.

It has been great getting to know some of the ADV riders this year and I look forward to doing more riding in 2008. We live in such a wonderful place to ride. Get out those maps and start planning the next adventure, however in 2008 I will try to avoid getting caught in a February blizzard and almost spending the night out in the Owyhees. Grand View never looked so good.
Happy Holidays
No need to garage the bike:

If I weren't stripping the KLR apart this winter, I'd be on a set of these.

Unless you wanted to go super-hard-core and go with one of these:

Of even a paddle-tire set up.

There are all kinds of bad ideas to participate in, in the winter wonderland of motorcycling.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 12-11-2007 at 06:09 PM
Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #359
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,399
Eh? Rwc

Insanity has set in....
tvbh40a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #360
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Quote:
No need to garage the bike:

Unless you wanted to go super-hard-core and go with one of these:

There are all kinds of bad ideas to participate in, in the winter wonderland of motorcycling.

Why didnt I think of that

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote