ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #6226
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Nice Ride Report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
After almost 13 hours of writing yesterday and another 4 hours today, my entire California trip is documented in my thread. I also got part 1 of 2 done from our ride on Saturday to Hell's Canyon. I probably won't get part two done until tomorrow. Clicky signature. Enjoy!
I was on my cell phone's web browser so I didn't look at all of your posted run but wow! What an awesome ride. I also checked out what you've written so far about our last weekend's ride. Looks great to me! You take better pictures, by a long shot, than I did. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #6227
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Question Advanced Scouting of Challenge Sites

How do I go about learning what is/isn't open/reachable? I'm planning a big ride that will pass by 13 (yes, 13) of the Challenge sites and before I go I'd like to know whether they are attainable or not. Suggestions?
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #6228
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
Went in for more x-rays and to see the podiatrist today. I took my splint off for the x-rays and laid my foot flat on the table, flexed my ankle and rested my foot on the table on the left side. It didn't hurt at all so I was feeling pretty good, maybe it's not that bad, hell maybe I can start walking on it!
Not so much. I saw the podiatrist and he said it is pretty messed up. I have to go in for surgery next Tuesday to get some plates and some pins. I should be off the crutches about two weeks after that and all healed up in about six weeks.

Here are some x-rays:

Saturday night, hmmm somethin' don't look quite right


Damn! What's my toe doin' over there?


It wasn't fun getting that toe put back in place, I was reaching around in the air, I just wanted to grab something, anything and squeeze the hall out of it! My wife made sure to stay out of reach



Here it is today, good to see that little piggy back where he belongs
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #6229
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
How do I go about learning what is/isn't open/reachable? I'm planning a big ride that will pass by 13 (yes, 13) of the Challenge sites and before I go I'd like to know whether they are attainable or not. Suggestions?
Dax, you can try calling th USFS and they may know. If you are thinking of the ones in the Salmon River Mountains I would say no on Sleeping Deer, Twin Peaks, Fly Creek Point, and Pinyon Peak. The rest in that area should be reachable though. My dad flew over those a few weeks ago so I will ask him if he thinks they will be attainable.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #6230
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Dax's Death March #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
I'd love to go for another "death march"! I haven't fully looked at it but a 2-3 day run to catch 46, 34, 40, 43, 44, 16, and finally 9 is what I'm looking at right now. This would "tighten the circle" of sites I have yet to reach. Having said this I don't know if these are reachable yet or not! Care to assist finding out about some?
Update: So, I've spent a lot of time mapping out a path and calling the Forest Service stations to see when things are open. Here is the path: 42, Boulder Basin City, 46, 34, 40, 44, 43, 35, 48, 38, 45, 41, and 33. I've been to Boulder Basin City about a decade ago and I think it is worth the diversion.

As you may notice I've altered the path from what I previously suggested. (Turns out it isn't easy to get from Ulysses to McCall.)

According to the Forest Service, Twin Peaks and Middle Fork Peak should be reachable by July 4th. However, they are not reachable right now. So, I'm thinking 7/13-7/16 (a Friday through Monday).

Here is a breakout of the mileage and terrain: 665 on Road and 334 on Dirt with a total of 1009 miles! This means approximately 27 hours of riding (assuming 50MPH on road and 25MPH on dirt).

4 days ought to be enough, right?

Anyone game?

__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #6231
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHandy View Post
Went in for more x-rays and to see the podiatrist today. I took my splint off for the x-rays and laid my foot flat on the table, flexed my ankle and rested my foot on the table on the left side. It didn't hurt at all so I was feeling pretty good, maybe it's not that bad, hell maybe I can start walking on it!
Not so much. I saw the podiatrist and he said it is pretty messed up. I have to go in for surgery next Tuesday to get some plates and some pins. I should be off the crutches about two weeks after that and all healed up in about six weeks.
F'ing A dude! I feel bad since it was my ride. I know there is nothing I could have done to stop it from happening but I still have a bit of "ownership guilt" over the whole thing. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything for ya!
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #6232
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 409
Can I go?? Lol, sorry for jumping in but this sounds like an awesome trip!


Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
Update: So, I've spent a lot of time mapping out a path and calling the Forest Service stations to see when things are open. Here is the path: 42, Boulder Basin City, 46, 34, 40, 44, 43, 35, 48, 38, 45, 41, and 33. I've been to Boulder Basin City about a decade ago and I think it is worth the diversion.

As you may notice I've altered the path from what I previously suggested. (Turns out it isn't easy to get from Ulysses to McCall.)

According to the Forest Service, Twin Peaks and Middle Fork Peak should be reachable by July 4th. However, they are not reachable right now. So, I'm thinking 7/13-7/16 (a Friday through Monday).

Here is a breakout of the mileage and terrain: 665 on Road and 334 on Dirt with a total of 1009 miles! This means approximately 27 hours of riding (assuming 50MPH on road and 25MPH on dirt).

4 days ought to be enough, right?

Anyone game?

Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #6233
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Can I go?? Lol, sorry for jumping in but this sounds like an awesome trip!

Sure, I don't know bikes too well so I don't know how your newly acquired bike does on the road. I have a BMW r1200gsa which can easily do 80MPH as well as climb trees (not that I do either, mind). PM me your contact info and as I get more organized I'll let you know how it progresses.
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #6234
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 409
Yeah, on second thought my bike doesn't like to go over 55 mph now that it has knobby tires on it. Maybe a future trip that involves more dirt than pavement.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #6235
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
Dax
Don't feel bad at all man. I really appreciate you and Tyson looking out for me and making sure I got home OK, hopefully you don't finish all the challenge sites before I heal up and we can go out and pick some up.
If you are at all interested in delaying the ride you are planning now my parents have a place in Challis and I was going to go up there and use that as a home base to pick up most of those central Idaho sites. There are a lot of great loops out of Challis that could incorporate about 20 of the challenge sites in 2 or 3 days with a place to stay and take a shower at night. If you don't want to wait I fully understand, just thought I would throw that out there.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #6236
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Yeah, on second thought my bike doesn't like to go over 55 mph now that it has knobby tires on it. Maybe a future trip that involves more dirt than pavement.
View your PM. I think we can accommodate all riding levels and bike speeds. :-)
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #6237
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
F'ing A dude! I feel bad since it was my ride. I know there is nothing I could have done to stop it from happening but I still have a bit of "ownership guilt" over the whole thing. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything for ya!
Well, we got the neighbor kid to mow the lawn, but our house sure could use a vacuuming and dusting...
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #6238
silverspurs
what's over there?
 
silverspurs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: E-DA-HOW
Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHandy View Post

Damn! What's my toe doin' over there?



Dude! I threw up a little when I saw this!! and I worked in orthopedics for a while! hope you heal quickly...
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #6239
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
View your PM. I think we can accommodate all riding levels and bike speeds. :-)

hmmm, when are you planning on doing this?
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #6240
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
daxm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Boise, Id
Oddometer: 158
Thumb Dax's Death March #2

As Tyson, Mike, and Jesse know I'm still a noob at planning a trip. However, "I'm getting better!".

On my first Challenge Site trip I didn't even know which sites we were going to (someone else planned the trip). My second I knew where I wanted to go but didn't even have a map. I had to stop and ask locals as I got close. On my third trip I had maps but didn't plan a route but thanks to my fellow riders we got the job done!

This will be my fourth trip and I think I'm the most prepared for this one as of yet! Unless a storm comes in and closes the roads (which I'll call the Forest Service again before leaving, of course) I'm go for a 1000+ mile loop that will hit 12 Challenge sites. This is a multi-day trip and my wife is going to follow and can carry gear for us if need be. I still don't have camp sites planned but I did try to ensure that a town with a gas station is nearby every 150 miles or so.

Here is my proposed path:


You can also download the Google Maps file.

So, any advice on what I'm missing in planning this trip? I want it to be as enjoyable as possible for all who come.
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan
daxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014