ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #7516
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Didja get muddy?
I *may* have ended up a little muddier than Ron or Ed.

Quote:
I thought about you guy's all day. Glad to see you made it home. i would imagine the route was flexible..
We began to attempt the old ION hwy, and then wised up and headed back to the pavement. We had to go through the low storm in the first pic to get back to the highway, the lightening was a nice touch. From there we got pounded by rain all the way to Jordan Valley.

Quote:
I saw the radar this morning and said to myself "Man, am I glad I didn't head to OR with those guys!"
Monday was beautiful. Camp was warm and dry. On Tuesday we got a little wet at Fields, and then we got a little soaked on the way home. You missed out.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #7517
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,406
Ion Hwy

It isn't a whole lot of fun when it is dry either!
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #7518
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
It isn't a whole lot of fun when it is dry either!
So where is the ION highway, or is this something obvious I am just not getting?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #7519
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Monday was beautiful. Camp was warm and dry. On Tuesday we got a little wet at Fields, and then we got a little soaked on the way home. You missed out.
I think that Tiger would have been a bear in the mud, especially with the worn Scorpion Trail I still have on there, I am sure I would have had a blast on the DRZ though.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #7520
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Did someone say wet? I took these on the way home from the Steens today. We got soaked but still had fun :)
Mike, I can literally imagine what you guys were going through.

After a very inspirational video and ride report by Jason Abbott, yesterday me and son's #2 & 3, decided we would try Peace Creek trail.

Clouds, clouds go away...

To have traveled this far and not ride, at all... well, technically we did ride on the trail, but only went this far 1/4-1/2 mile?

...but because of this

We did this

Apparently our garbage bag rain gear didn't work very well. I hear there are stores out there that sell raingear

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #7521
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post

Apparently our garbage bag rain gear didn't work very well. I hear there are stores out there that sell raingear
Nothing beats the price of a roll o' raincoats though!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #7522
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Hey .... garbage bag poncho's rule!

When Jason and I rode through there were points along upper Peace Crk and Deadwood where it was very obvious that a certain amount of water had been flowing either down or across the trail..... questions is.... how much rain is required to create those conditions?

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #7523
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 854
Hey Mike:
What roads are these??...

looks like an interesting day!

[/QUOTE]

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #7524
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopjohn View Post
So where is the ION highway, or is this something obvious I am just not getting?
Don't know if I can answer your question or not, but I'll give it a stab...

the ION road was the original toll road built by Silas Skinner in the 1860's from Winnemucca NV to Silver City Idaho... the old metal suspension bridge that crosses the Owyhee River at Rome was part of the old ION road, it went thru Arock, Danner (Inskip Station) and on into Jordan Valley...

HIway 95 follows pretty closely the original ION Road... so it could technically be refered to as the ION Hiway...

hope that helps a little in answering your question...

here is some more info for you:
"
US 95 is designated the I.O.N. Highway No. 456 (see Oregon highways and routes), with the I.O.N. for Idaho-Oregon-Nevada. This section of highway is a primary commercial route between Boise and northern California, connecting to Interstate 80 at Winnemucca, Nevada. US 95 crosses into the Mountain Time Zone approximately 35 miles (56 km) north of Nevada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_95

Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #7525
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
Don't know if I can answer your question or not, but I'll give it a stab...

the ION road was the original toll road built by Silas Skinner in the 1860's from Winnemucca NV to Silver City Idaho... the old metal suspension bridge that crosses the Owyhee River at Rome was part of the old ION road, it went thru Arock, Danner (Inskip Station) and on into Jordan Valley...

HIway 95 follows pretty closely the original ION Road... so it could technically be refered to as the ION Hiway...

hope that helps a little in answering your question...

here is some more info for you:
"
US 95 is designated the I.O.N. Highway No. 456 (see Oregon highways and routes), with the I.O.N. for Idaho-Oregon-Nevada. This section of highway is a primary commercial route between Boise and northern California, connecting to Interstate 80 at Winnemucca, Nevada. US 95 crosses into the Mountain Time Zone approximately 35 miles (56 km) north of Nevada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_95
Awesome, thank you sir, I googled it too, but didn't find this info.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #7526
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,406
Ion hwy

West out of Rome take the first left Skull creek road, than the first right and bear right at next fork. Or there is a more modern Ion Hwy crossing about a mile farther down the hwy that connects to the older Ion after the nice turns to more rustic. Then follow a nasty soft silty when it is dry, cake batter mud when it is wet road that roughly follows 395. Crosses some main roads a couple of times. It is a faint line on most maps. You can find it on Garmin Base Camp
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #7527
FoolHardy
Still Inky

We were going to ride this section of the Old ION in red. Rick, the blue flag is where the top pic was taken, where we decided to head west to the highway.

The second pic is headed south toward fields from our camp next to the Alvord playa. That is the base of the Steens on the right, covered in clouds. I wish I would have remembered to put garbage bags over my socks before I put my boots on. They work great for that.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot

FoolHardy screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 05:54 PM
Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #7528
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
We were going to ride this section of the Old ION in red. Rick, the blue flag is where the top pic was taken, where we decided to head west to the highway.

The second pic is headed south toward fields from our camp next to the Alvord playa. That is the base of the Steens on the right, covered in clouds. I wish I would have remembered to put garbage bags over my socks before I put my boots on. They work great for that.
Thanks! looks like the road would bring you into Rome and possibly cross the old metal bridge there? then on to Arock etc etc?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #7529
FoolHardy
Still Inky

I don't know anything about the old metal bridge.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #7530
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
I don't know anything about the old metal bridge.

Nice pic's!

here's a couple pics of the old metal bridge at Rome where the original ION road crossed the Owyhee... orginially there was a ferry here. Pomp Charbeneau (of Lewis and Clarke fame) had some sort of accident at the Ferry
sometime in the late 1860"s.., he fell in the river, inhaled some of it, caught pneumonia and died at Inskip Station a few days later...