ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #7606
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Early end of season

My season came to an early end last week. I was on my way to work early in the morning. I locked the back tire making a left turn. The bike high sided. I ended up with a broken/dislocated right foot.

The top of the bones on the front section should line up with the top of the bones on the back.

This angle shows the fractures better.

They put a bunch of pins in to reduce the dislocated bones.

I go back to have more hardware installed on Monday. The doctor says that I will be at least 6 weeks before I can put weight on this foot again.

The bike has some minor damage, twisted forks, broken mirrors and broken hand guard.

WhichWayNow screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 08:17 PM
WhichWayNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #7607
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Ouch, sorry to hear that man, but glad the damage wasn't too bad. Hope you heal up quick and get back in the saddle.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #7608
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 548
Dayam Ron... that just plain sucks. If there is anything you need help with don't be afraid to ask.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #7609
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the offer Mike. We have things covered at the moment, but I do appreciate the thought.

Thanks to you also Jeff.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #7610
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
I broke my foot last summer and it sucks!
I hope things heal well for you, if your insurance doesn't cover a knee roller you can use mine. It makes it so much easier to get around and you don't have to worry about eating shit on your crutches ( I got a little cocky with mine).
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #7611
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Just curious .... were you wearing riding boots? ..... not suggesting that the outcome would have been any diffrent as I do not know the circumstances.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #7612
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
Just curious .... were you wearing riding boots? ..... not suggesting that the outcome would have been any diffrent as I do not know the circumstances.
I was wearing tennis shoes. I've been aware that I was taking chances doing that, but felt that the risk was lower when commuting. I will probably start wearing boots and leave a pair of shoes at work in the future.

In this case, I just don't know if boots would have made a difference or not. When the bike went down, I was still vertical with some forward momentum. I planted the right foot down and the momentum tossed me face first down on the pavement. That caused my foot to be folded too far which is how the fractures occured.

It's tough to say if a boot would have prevented injury, but at least I would know that I had done everything I could to protect myself.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #7613
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I hope things heal well for you, if your insurance doesn't cover a knee roller you can use mine. It makes it so much easier to get around and you don't have to worry about eating shit on your crutches ( I got a little cocky with mine).
I'm currently getting around on crutches, but it is a challenge. I'll give the knee roller some thought.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #7614
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayNow View Post
I'm currently getting around on crutches, but it is a challenge. I'll give the knee roller some thought.
I fell on crutches before surgery and made the break worse, plus the knee roller makes you the envy of all the kids in the neighborhood!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #7615
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Tire involved with foot breakage

[QUOTE=WhichWayNow;22578230]My season came to an early end last week. I was on my way to work early in the morning. I locked the back tire making a left turn. The bike high sided. I ended up with a broken/dislocated right foot.
/QUOTE]

Curious to know what tire was involved and whether the pavement was wet. I've been out of town for a while. Hope they gave you good meds. Looks painful.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #7616
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
Curious to know what tire was involved and whether the pavement was wet. I've been out of town for a while. Hope they gave you good meds. Looks painful.
The back tire is a Shinko. I don't recall the exact model and the bike is at Carl's so I can't go look.

It was early morning and fairly chilly, so I do believe there was some moisture on the road. I was still in dry road mode which was what got me in trouble.

WhichWayNow screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 10:16 PM
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #7617
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
was that you that caught your foot on a log protruding into the trail going down to the old mine site at Helena?? perhaps I have you confused with someone else... if so, sorry...

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #7618
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayNow View Post
The back tire is a Shinko. I don't recall the exact model and the bike is at Carl's so I can't go look.

It was early morning and fairly chilly, so I do believe there was some moisture on the road. I was still in dry road mode which was what got me in trouble.
Ron;
sorry for your pain and suffering... hope you heal quick... the knee rider is a great idea... when I ripped my achilles tendon in half a few years ago, my arm pits got raw from using the crutches, and my butt got so sore from bumming up and down the steps in my house (easier than going up and down them with crutches)... the knee cart is a really good idea... good luck with your healing...

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #7619
Road Janitor
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
I fell on crutches before surgery and made the break worse, plus the knee roller makes you the envy of all the kids in the neighborhood!
On a late dirt bike ride two years ago my riding buddy crashed on a muddy uphill section. As he went down his left foot twisted and went into the still spinning rear wheel and he got one of those neat x-rays out of it that looks just like yours! (work boots, NOT riding boots!) Doc prescribed him the scooter, which was great when he first started out, but like all good things, you have to test the limits. Once he had the squeeze bulb horn and two point antlers installed it was time to test the limits of speed. He never REALLY crashed on it, but he did mention it could use disc breaks and traction control. Funny............he said the same thing about the '76 Yamaha 500 he was riding when he dislocated his foot. On the up side, he said it was a great conversation starter with the ladies, although that comment made his wife frown!
Road Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #7620
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

^^^

I almost had a second crash that morning.

Initially, my foot didn't seem that bad. I picked the bike up and moved it out of the street. Eventually I got back on the bike and went on into work. It was when I had to put the bike on it's side stand that I realized my foot was hurting. I limped into my office and sat down at my desk before calling my wife to take me to the ER.

When my wife arrived, I decided to just roll my office chair out to the car. There's a little bit of a ramp from the front door into the parking lot. When I hit that ramp, I realized that office chairs don't have brakes or direction control of any kind.

My buddy who had been helping caught me before I bashed into the side of my wife's car.