ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #7636
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Sam, when were you out there? And which direction did you run it? I ran into a few other motos (a new style Wee Strom 2 up and a couple Hondas, both running counter clockwise if that makes sense) but no KTM's.
hey, I was riding Saturday left the house around noon got home about 5. Run it clockwise and I saw no bikes nada! none. What a great day though!!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #7637
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
hey, I was riding Saturday left the house around noon got home about 5. Run it clockwise and I saw no bikes nada! none. What a great day though!!
Ha, I must have been right behind you, I left a bit before 1 and got home in the 5 range as well. Agreed on the day, wonderful weather and scenery.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #7638
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Anyone want to ride this Thursday or Friday?

Pending weather, I'd like to get the drz out Thursday or Friday and hit up a few check points. Been a quite summer for me as the XR didn't last all but 12 hours of riding... But it's not over!

Planning on ridding to Thorn Creek, Pioneer Cemetery, and Barber Flat Cabin if anyone wants to join. Never been that way, and would always rather ride with a partner or more than alone. Let me know if you are free, and want to head out that way!
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #7639
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 589
Betcha have snow on the thorn creek lookout
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #7640
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
obrianmcc and I had a nice autumn ride no crashes a couple weeks back. Here are some pictures and a video:

http://trailimage.com/atlanta-loop

Thanks for your outstanding ride report and I enjoyed the history that went along with it too. You guys planned out a really scenic and diverse route that has me looking forward to planning a ride out that way. I've not been as far as Rocky Bar and Atlanta and I also have my sights on Swanholm Peak Lookout as well.
bikerlibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #7641
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlibre View Post
Thanks for your outstanding ride report and I enjoyed the history that went along with it too. You guys planned out a really scenic and diverse route that has me looking forward to planning a ride out that way. I've not been as far as Rocky Bar and Atlanta and I also have my sights on Swanholm Peak Lookout as well.
Swanholm LO is another of my favorites … I thought about running up that day, but we still had a few miles to cover. There is a trail that runs the ridge from the LO that takes you over to Warrior Lakes ….. pretty easy ride unless you drop off the ridge to the lakes, where it gets a bit more interesting.

Looking N from the LO into Deer Park/Goat Mtn

SE Ridge towards Warrior Lakes, the trail runs along this ridge …

View off the west side ….

View off the east side looking down into Graham ….

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #7642
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
Swanholm LO is another of my favorites I thought about running up that day, but we still had a few miles to cover. There is a trail that runs the ridge from the LO that takes you over to Warrior Lakes .. pretty easy ride unless you drop off the ridge to the lakes, where it gets a bit more interesting.

Looking N from the LO into Deer Park/Goat Mtn

SE Ridge towards Warrior Lakes, the trail runs along this ridge

View off the west side .

View off the east side looking down into Graham .
Wow! that's an awesome view from up there. Right in the Sawtooth's backyard! Thanks for digging up the photos. I had wondered if you guys had been up there before. I'm sure after today, the peak is covered in snow...until next year I guess.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #7643
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Pending weather, I'd like to get the drz out Thursday or Friday and hit up a few check points. Been a quite summer for me as the XR didn't last all but 12 hours of riding... But it's not over!

Planning on ridding to Thorn Creek, Pioneer Cemetery, and Barber Flat Cabin if anyone wants to join. Never been that way, and would always rather ride with a partner or more than alone. Let me know if you are free, and want to head out that way!
I'm open and want to get as much riding in as possible before it gets too cold.....yea I'm a mostly fair weather rider. My bike is street legal, but I don't want to ride too much pavement so where would be a good point to meet??
SCExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #7644
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Quote:
Lets put it on the list for next year. I think we could just use Jason's reports as a guide for a lot of great rides.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #7645
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Lets put it on the list for next year. I think we could just use Jason's reports as a guide for a lot of great rides.
Yeah, for sure. Lots of good routes those guys know. Following in their tracks with just a trusty map or two makes it that much more fun!
Have a great ride if you get out this week. The rain has cleared away all that smog that built up. Higher up may have some snow.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #7646
trav520
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Hey guys, I'm a rider from Tennessee and ride dual sport and dirt.
So I'm gonna be in boise on sunday, Nov 17 and would really like to rent a bike or two for the day and ride around. Any recommendations for places to rent a Klr, drz, or Similar? I would even consider a private rental if anyone is interested. Just PM me.
Will there still be good riding that time of the year? Was up in the area this summer and saw a ton of dual sport areas to ride it seemed and really wanted a bike!
Thanks!
Trav520
trav520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #7647
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav520 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a rider from Tennessee and ride dual sport and dirt.
So I'm gonna be in boise on sunday, Nov 17 and would really like to rent a bike or two for the day and ride around. Any recommendations for places to rent a Klr, drz, or Similar? I would even consider a private rental if anyone is interested. Just PM me.
Will there still be good riding that time of the year? Was up in the area this summer and saw a ton of dual sport areas to ride it seemed and really wanted a bike!
Thanks!
Trav520
at that time of year, above 6000' elevation will start to be risky for snow, but below that, you should be safe... but depends on weather...

West of Boise out in the Owyhee Desert will probably be good, the Owyhee Back Country Byway via Jordan Valley Oregon and Grandview Idaho is a fantastic DS loop ride...

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #7648
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
I'm open and want to get as much riding in as possible before it gets too cold.....yea I'm a mostly fair weather rider. My bike is street legal, but I don't want to ride too much pavement so where would be a good point to meet??
The Gowen rd chevron would be the best jumping off point. fuel up then head out. pioneer cemetery is up hwy 21, then we can hit barber flat cabin, then thorn creek lookout, and finally back to boise. Never ridden this way, but I'm guessing with stops, it'll be about 4-5 hours max from boise and back. Weather permitting meet up at Gowen rd Chevron @ 10:00am?
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #7649
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Wow! that's an awesome view from up there. Right in the Sawtooth's backyard! Thanks for digging up the photos. I had wondered if you guys had been up there before. I'm sure after today, the peak is covered in snow...until next year I guess.
Was kinda fun digging those out of the archive.... they were taken about 4 yrs ago.... however have been up one other time since. If so desired... one can connect almost entirely via singletrack from Granite ..... Rabbit (Whoopty Hell), Hungarian, Barber Flat, Horse Haven.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #7650
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
The Gowen rd chevron would be the best jumping off point. fuel up then head out. pioneer cemetery is up hwy 21, then we can hit barber flat cabin, then thorn creek lookout, and finally back to boise. Never ridden this way, but I'm guessing with stops, it'll be about 4-5 hours max from boise and back. Weather permitting meet up at Gowen rd Chevron @ 10:00am?
Sounds good....so how about Friday? Something just came up for Thursday.

SCExpat screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 01:11 PM