ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #7921
dirtywurty
Emmett ,Id

Oddometer: 182
Thanks for the pictures Sam. Always entertaining ...
dirtywurty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #7922
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ed View Post
Great news riders the no motorized sign on the west side of the dam and the fence will be down within 3 weeks. They are doing some work on the dam and it will be completed soon. The sign was put up by an over zealous environmentalist with Idaho Power, it will be removed very soon. So the damn closing will be over soon.
My wife and I were out bird-watching in the area yesterday and after reading Jason's ride report last year, I wanted to check out the dam and the trail across the river. It was, like you say, fenced off but I'm glad to hear it will reopen soon.
I'd like to plan a ride along the south shore of the river sometime to see the petroglyphs. When you mention the west side of the dam, are you referring to the south-side of the river across the dam and thus implying that once reopened, we should be able to push our bikes across the dam and ride on the other side?
bikerlibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #7923
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlibre View Post
When you mention the west side of the dam, are you referring to the south-side of the river across the dam and thus implying that once reopened, we should be able to push our bikes across the dam and ride on the other side?
Exactly. You'll be able to "legally" do the ride I did with my son when the dam is opened. If you're up for company, I wouldn't mind popping over there again to see the rock art. (The river at that point bends northward so the generally south-side is more westerly.)
Old 04-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #7924
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywurty View Post
Thanks for the pictures Sam. Always entertaining ...
WURTY, your welcome, and thank you for not busting my chops about my music selection.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #7925
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Exactly. You'll be able to "legally" do the ride I did with my son when the dam is opened. If you're up for company, I wouldn't mind popping over there again to see the rock art. (The river at that point bends northward so the generally south-side is more westerly.)
Ho-ray! I was hoping for that.
And yes, I'd like it for sure to join you when you next go. The more (rock)heads the better when trying to interpret the artwork.
bikerlibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #7926
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
It apparently has the greatest density of redband trout around. So I read. I can only vouch for crawdads and caterpillars. Would be nice on a hot day to wade through the shade and scare up some fish. Easy to get to the water (just down a hill) at the wilderness trailhead.
Ya, that was my understanding too (about the redband).

There's some good fishing down in that canyon area, in various places.

One place Sam took us to, years ago, was suppose to be legendary for having excellent Fall fishing. I'd have to look on a map to remember where the hell it was - we were SERIOUSLY out there in the desert. For Sam and I, it was a trip worth forgetting, given the company we had at the time.

But the ride was good, and I always told myself I'd get back there with a pole someday.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #7927
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,109
Ryan, when your ready I can PM you the no tell'em coordinates I know exactly where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post

One place Sam took us to, years ago, was suppose to be legendary for having excellent Fall fishing. I'd have to look on a map to remember where the hell it was - we were SERIOUSLY out there in the desert. For Sam and I, it was a trip worth forgetting, given the company we had at the time.

But the ride was good, and I always told myself I'd get back there with a pole someday.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #7928
J T M
Hold my beer, Watch this!

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ed View Post
Great news riders the no motorized sign on the west side of the dam and the fence will be down within 3 weeks. They are doing some work on the dam and it will be completed soon. The sign was put up by an over zealous environmentalist with Idaho Power, it will be removed very soon. So the damn closing will be over soon.
Thats Dam good news!!!
J T M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #7929
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post

Speaking of years ago......

Remember when some of us would post level 4 and 5 rides on IAMC and then went on the rides and lived to tell the story? Ah, the good old days.

Level 4 - Master Rider

A level 4 ride will require an experienced rider who is willing to take the risk of falling at some point during the ride. Trails may include the following:
  • Single track (less than 2' wide with tight turns)
  • Steep grades
  • Large rocks and ruts to navigate
  • Water crossings
  • Slick conditions (patches of mud or snow)
  • Deep gravel and/or sand
A level 4 ride is for experienced riders who are able to ride quickly and comfortably through very difficult conditions. Level 4 rides often take riders to remote places in the backcountry, which means that those who participate need to be able to support themselves with tools, tire changing skills, basic mechanical abilities, and some survival equipment such as GPS or maps & compass, first aid kit, etc.

Level 5 - Insane
On a level 5 ride, you will go places that the dual-sport motorcycle was not intended to go, and do things that a 650cc or larger motorcycle was not intended to do. A level 5 ride will include extreme water crossings, exceptionally steep inclines, and tight, narrow, single track trails. Speeds may be exceptionally quick at times, and riders must be advanced and skilled to safely participate.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #7930
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post

Remember when some of us would post level 4 and 5 rides on IAMC and then went on the rides and lived to tell the story? Ah, the good old days.

Level 4 - Master Rider

A level 4 ride will require an experienced rider who is willing to take the risk of falling at some point during the ride. Trails may include the following:
  • Steep grades
  • Water crossings
A level 4 ride is for experienced riders who are able to ride quickly and comfortably through very difficult conditions. Level 4 rides often take riders to remote places in the backcountry, which means that those who participate need to be able to support themselves with tools, tire changing skills, basic mechanical abilities, and some survival equipment such as GPS or maps & compass, first aid kit, etc.

Level 5 - Insane
On a level 5 ride, you will go places that the dual-sport motorcycle was not intended to go, and do things that a 650cc or larger motorcycle was not intended to do. A level 5 ride will include extreme water crossings, exceptionally steep inclines, and tight, narrow, single track trails. Speeds may be exceptionally quick at times, and riders must be advanced and skilled to safely participate.
Post it up Beyotch
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #7931
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 576
MMM,,, so I have something to back out of later for some unforseen circumstance.

effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #7932
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post

Level 4 - Master Rider

• Steep grades
  • Water crossings

Level 5 - Insane
I loved the RWC disclaimer.

Yeah! that's why we joined IAMC there were others that liked to ride terrain we did.

Sadly, I fear the challenge stifled some of that spirit as well, not many level 3,4,or 5 sites!

Let the flogging begin!!!!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #7933
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
Post it up Beyotch
See ya at Clay Peak Sunday.

http://www.sidraracing.org/images/Fl...opy%20copy.jpg

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #7934
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post

Yeah! that's why we joined IAMC there were others that liked to ride terrain we did.

Sadly, I fear the challenge stifled some of that spirit as well, not many level 3,4,or 5 sites!

Okay, flogging over.

I never had any interest in the challenge. It's probably good for new riders.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #7935
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post

Personally I love the Challenge because it gets me out and a destination (i.e. purpose). That said, if you have some level 3, 4, 5 sites suggest them! I'm not afraid of a challenge (even when I fail).