ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #8101
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Yep Dax, I know where some snow is hiding :) And I have been posting invites in the forum section in thread "Weekday after work ride". Perhaps I should post it as an "Event" so it would be more visible.
Yes, as an Event it will additionally show up on the front page.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #8102
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Wednesday afterwork ride: Let's meet at the parking lot of the Boise Little Theater/ baseball fields at Fort Boise Park at the corner of Fort st and Reserve @6:00. We'll go out Reserve st-Shaw Mountain rd through Rocky Canyon to Robie Creek. There are a few side roads I would like to check out in that area, I have been through on that road but never really poked around. Depending on time, we can follow Robie Creek to Clear creek, then slab it back on hwy 21, or just hit the hwy at Robie. Does anyone know when the gate on 8th street will be open?
I believe the 8th st gate is a seasonal closure for 4w vehicles... I'm pretty sure bikes/quads are allowed yr round (at least that's how it used to be)

We used to park below the gate (when closed) and then ride up ..... none of the above trails have seasonal closures... they put the onus on the user to self police and to not ride wet trails.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear

obrianmcc screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 12:50 PM
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #8103
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Locked, private gates on public land illegal?

I posted this in “Tread Lightly” as well but someone local may have more specific facts:

While planning an upcoming ride, I threw a public lands overlay into Google Earth and noticed the nearby private owner’s locked gate I ran into on a recent ride is in fact across a public road. A little searching found this among other prohibited actions for “grazing permittees” in U.S. Code:

“Interfering with lawful uses or users including obstructing free transit through or over public lands by force, threat, intimidation, signs, barrier or locked gates” (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/43/4140.1)

Was the locked gate illegal or might there be other factors to consider?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #8104
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Hey Jason ... The gate right below the parking lot I beleive is a big ole BLM gate. It's been seasonally closed for the 20+ yrs I've lived here.

My understanding was that it was put up to prevent the cars/4x4's from tearing up the road and etc higher up until things dry out. Placed below the parking lot to keep local hoodlums from also tearing up the parking lot.

I'm pretty sure the sign reads Road Closed, but open to Bicycles and Motos.

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 05-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #8105
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
There are a few side roads I would like to check out in that area
I use Rocky Canyon pretty regularly as a main route over to 21 ... not sure if there is much to check out? You used to be able to connect over to Highland Valley, but they closed that access yrs ago.... also used to be able to ride Orchard Gulch up to the Ridge Rd...closed. Table Rock to Boise Peak ... someone built a development on the trail.

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 05-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #8106
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
Hey Jason ... The gate right below the parking lot I believe is a big ole BLM gate. It's been seasonally closed for the 20+ yrs I've lived here.
The locked gate that stopped me is this one (Google Map point) — I secretly changed subjects from the 8th Street discussion. It was just me and the cows stuck in there. Another locked one, also on public land, was this one coming off the back of Squaw Butte. That was a big hassle. In both cases I was trying to get back onto a public road from public land.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #8107
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
The locked gate that stopped me is this one (Google Map point) — I secretly changed subjects from the 8th Street discussion. It was just me and the cows stuck in there. Another locked one, also on public land, was this one coming off the back of Squaw Butte. That was a big hassle. In both cases I was trying to get back onto a public road from public land.
Time to put some bolt cutters into the tool bag!

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #8108
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
I use Rocky Canyon pretty regularly as a main route over to 21 ... not sure if there is much to check out? You used to be able to connect over to Highland Valley, but they closed that access yrs ago.... also used to be able to ride Orchard Gulch up to the Ridge Rd...closed. Table Rock to Boise Peak ... someone built a development on the trail.
When I ride Highland Valley to Rocky Canyon, I don't find any closed sign along the way until at Rocky Canyon - the back side of the closed sign.

IDRIDR screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 05:44 PM
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #8109
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Time to put some bolt cutters into the tool bag!
Not sure I'd carry one but made me curious if there's such a thing as a light weight bolt cutter.
Sure enough! Can your tool roll include one of these:
http://stores.hogsaddle.com/trx1018-...-bolt-cutters/
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Min...r,1563,103.htm
http://www.maxprotactical.com/RUHL_T...ti-fbc-024.htm

Jason Abbott screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 04:58 PM
Jason Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #8110
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Work travel precludes me from attending the ride this week. Count me in for next time.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #8111
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I believe the 8th st gate is a seasonal closure for 4w vehicles... I'm pretty sure bikes/quads are allowed yr round (at least that's how it used to be)

We used to park below the gate (when closed) and then ride up ..... none of the above trails have seasonal closures... they put the onus on the user to self police and to not ride wet trails.
I went around the gate on my F800 Weds 5/7 and I believe a sign said 5/15 or maybe 5/31 to be open. But I concur that --with an OHV sticker-- this should be no issue. (They had recently bladed the road, as it had been pretty gullied out, so they have prepped to open soon anyhow.)

But heck, avoid the issue by riding the 8th St MC Trail? A few weeks back I rode the upper part, up hill, all the way to the Ridge Road on my F800 while the trail still had snow in spots, so it should be cake if you all'd like a little trail between your FS roads.

During that same ride the few weeks back, there was snow in the road that stopped me from getting through from 8th Street to Lucky Peak Tr, but I had no problem by 5/7 getting to Robbie Creek (other than throwing myself violently to the hard-pack doing something dumb).

Little Theatre is close by me and I have dispensation for the time being, so I'll work on joining if you'll have me along on 5/14 (I am on the right week I hope?).

Alex
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #8112
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
When I ride Highland Valley to Rocky Canyon, I don't find any closed sign along the way until at Rocky Canyon - the back side of the closed sign.
Used to be posted closed at the 4 way just past the bird watching area … I haven't been up there since...

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #8113
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 548
Thanks for the input guys. I never made it up to the bird watching area when it was a challenge site, so I'd like to check that out. Also at the top of the hill on Shaw mountain road, where you turn left to connect to the ridge rd, there is a road on the right just before that intersection, just after cottonwood creek, that appears to make a loop and comes back to the intersection, if its not private property. Also right after Rocky Canyon connects to Robie, turn right and the first road on the left is Flowing Springs, which I would also like to check out. Maybe see how far we can take Tollgate rd up the backside before we hit snow? I would also like to check out the roads up on the ridge just east of the Hwy that run parallel to it from where Clear Creek connects to 21, to a point near Robie. Depending on the size of the group and the time, I might just save those exploratory side trips for a later time.
I have never ridden the trails in the foothills, but I am sure willing to give em a go. I can't ride next Wednesday the 21st, but perhaps the week after that I can bring the TW and hit some trails.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot

FoolHardy screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 09:01 PM
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #8114
bdefen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Gate behind Squaw Butte

Saw the note about the locked gate behind Squaw Butte. I don't have a public land map in front of me, but I thought that Lt. Gov. Brad Little's family's land began about where you were....I know the west slope of Squaw Butte around that long draw and the road upward is public. We hunted Squaw Butte years ago, and a lot of the surrounding area is private.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #8115
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdefen View Post
I thought that Lt. Gov. Brad Little's family's land began about where you were
This nationalatlas.gov map shows a small block of private land immediately behind Squaw Butte but where the trail meets the road is back on public land. I'd like to know if that map isn't accurate since I was planning to incorporate it into my GPS unit.