ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #8116
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
I was planning to incorporate it into my GPS unit.
Eh ... what .... how? ... oh, nevermind, forgot who I was talking to!

(I have a hard enough time just turning my GPS on!)

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #8117
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
This nationalatlas.gov map shows a small block of private land immediately behind Squaw Butte but where the trail meets the road is back on public land. I'd like to know if that map isn't accurate since I was planning to incorporate it into my GPS unit.
I have questions about it. An area in Montana that I am very familar with shows as all FS when in fact it is checker board FS and private.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #8118
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
This nationalatlas.gov map shows a small block of private land immediately behind Squaw Butte but where the trail meets the road is back on public land. I'd like to know if that map isn't accurate since I was planning to incorporate it into my GPS unit.
Does this help?

IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #8119
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Does this help?

What a friggin' mess!

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #8120
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Does this help?
Nice detail. Publicly available? I found the same detail from the Department of Lands (turn on the Federal Lands layer with aerial view) but it's a PITA to use. They do demonstrate that the Google Maps version is low resolution.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #8121
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Nice detail. Publicly available? I found the same detail from the Department of Lands (turn on the Federal Lands layer with aerial view) but it's a PITA to use. They do demonstrate that the Google Maps version is low resolution.
It is an ArcGIS shapefile of either ownership or managing agency that was publicly available with 100K quadrangle as the base layer. I can't seem to find it now on-line. If a shapefile is something you can use, PM me. Also check these links.

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/conten...e-earth-layers

http://cloud.insideidaho.org/webApps...ml%C2%A0%C2%A0

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #8122
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
I use Rocky Canyon pretty regularly as a main route over to 21 ... not sure if there is much to check out? You used to be able to connect over to Highland Valley, but they closed that access yrs ago.... also used to be able to ride Orchard Gulch up to the Ridge Rd...closed. Table Rock to Boise Peak ... someone built a development on the trail.
That route actually opened up last spring and I rode it through to Highland once and then on to Hwy. 21. It swings around Lucky Peak bird observatory. But one day in early summer we tried again and there were FS workers installing a gate back in the woods and they said it was private land and would be closed. It didn't seem right that FS people would close off private land. We accessed it just before reaching Adalpe Summit where there was a gate which was open and led a few miles into the woods before you reach this now closed gate. I haven't been back to see if the 1st gate is still open and if so , if there is a route for bikes around the 2nd gate. Perhaps the closure intent was just to keep vehicles out since the road is gnarly but bike-worthy.
bikerlibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #8123
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
It is an ArcGIS shapefile
I filtered the shapefile to private ownership and exported as a KMZ that can be opened in Google Earth. Note that Idaho Trails are also now available as KMZ downloads. Between the two you can see motorcycle/ATV/Jeep trails and exactly where they cross private land (where you might want a plan B).
Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #8124
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I never made it up to the bird watching area when it was a challenge site, so I'd like to check that out. Also at the top of the hill on Shaw mountain road, where you turn left to connect to the ridge rd, there is a road on the right just before that intersection, just after cottonwood creek, that appears to make a loop and comes back to the intersection, if its not private property. Also right after Rocky Canyon connects to Robie, turn right and the first road on the left is Flowing Springs, which I would also like to check out. Maybe see how far we can take Tollgate rd up the backside before we hit snow? I would also like to check out the roads up on the ridge just east of the Hwy that run parallel to it from where Clear Creek connects to 21, to a point near Robie. Depending on the size of the group and the time, I might just save those exploratory side trips for a later time.
I have never ridden the trails in the foothills, but I am sure willing to give em a go. I can't ride next Wednesday the 21st, but perhaps the week after that I can bring the TW and hit some trails.
Tomorrow looks like a good day for riding.... Count me in for this weeks adventure!

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #8125
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Wish I could join up, but will be packing and cooking for a long weekend at Twin Springs.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #8126
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Can't make tonights ride, but have fun and be safe... I hope to get out a little this afternoon at Bonneville point and practice some....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #8127
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Wednesdays just don't seem to be working for me... I am sure I can make it eventually though...

Hope I can make it next time, really looking forward to meeting this great group.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #8128
DeadOhioSky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Dangit!! Literally just found out I am working late. File Share Cleanup. Looking forward to the next ride.

Hope you guys have fun!!!
DeadOhioSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #8129
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOhioSky View Post

Hope you guys have fun!!!
With thanks to Foolhardy for being ringleader, four fellow ADV travelers had a fine time enjoying a delightful evening romp in the Great Idaho Outdoors.

Gents, I have a report from my Highland Valley Rd (gate now open) solo side trip after we split up. Lucky Peak Trail #8 is a dead end near the top of said peak but well worth the out-n-back from ID-21.I did it while the sun was setting, the landscape was really nice in that light, and the air was thick with wildflower perfume. It's a steep climb over 6 miles to now seriously barricaded dead end short of the park-n-hike summit. It was not barricaded in 2013 late summer when I rode it last, could get all the way to Rocky Canyon Rd. thus on to Ridge Road for an interesting way to get to BoDo. Doable on a big bike if you don't mind bombing over some erosion issues and can deal with a couple steep sections.

I have a crappy video from last year, featuring portions of this trail and some other nearby stuff...
http://youtu.be/MDkSEKwHSH0?t=2m30s
The vid shows no dead-end gate at top of Lucky Pk Tr where now exists freshly-installed one, so something changed recently with this route.

A.
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #8130
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Good ride last night guys .... Thx for the report Alex

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear