ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #8266
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
Got out yesterday to enjoy the sunshine a bit. Ran Harris Creek Summit to Bogus Basin - flowers were in full bloom around 6000 ft.
Outstanding shots mate!
I got to trail/DS ride the area last Saturday, and the air was just thick with fragrance. What a great time to ride!
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #8267
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
OHV Training Range permit hearing July 10

Please pass along if deemed appropriate:
- - - - -

October 2013 saw the closure of IDPR's OHV training range at the Warm Springs office in east Boise due to a zoning permit technicality that surfaced due to an anti-'s complaint.

On July 10, Ada County will hold a public hearing in contemplation of issuing the zoning permit that IDPR needs to re-open the training range for OHMs, ATVs, and UTVs. See details in the linked PDF.

The positive result of the hearing would be more likely if interested and well-spoken OHV enthusiasts would be willing to attend and speak in favor of the zoning permit application on the merits of re-establishing readily-available OHV training for residents in Boise City and to the east.
There's also an opportunity to mail/email comments, which would be helpful even if you can't attend.

Opposition to the range, which range pre-existed the new housing development that I now live in (I am the closest to the range of my neighbors), will likely be from non-neighbors who make it their sport to oppose OHVs just on principle.
At a meeting at IDPR of neighbors that was required to precede the zoning hearing, I was able to facilitate some understanding among my neighbors: they are supportive of a properly-managed range, which IDPR assured us will be the case. To my knowledge, no one among those at the meeting who actually live in the adjacent housing development knew the range was there, in spite of regular classes being held throughout the Summer, until the meeting was called.

Thank you, and I hope to see you at the zoning meeting.
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #8268
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,204
Alex,
Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue. I've put it on my calendar.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #8269
BDizzle8732
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGAlex View Post
Please pass along if deemed appropriate:
- - - - -

October 2013 saw the closure of IDPR's OHV training range at the Warm Springs office in east Boise due to a zoning permit technicality that surfaced due to an anti-'s complaint.

On July 10, Ada County will hold a public hearing in contemplation of issuing the zoning permit that IDPR needs to re-open the training range for OHMs, ATVs, and UTVs. See details in the linked PDF.

The positive result of the hearing would be more likely if interested and well-spoken OHV enthusiasts would be willing to attend and speak in favor of the zoning permit application on the merits of re-establishing readily-available OHV training for residents in Boise City and to the east.
There's also an opportunity to mail/email comments, which would be helpful even if you can't attend.

Opposition to the range, which range pre-existed the new housing development that I now live in (I am the closest to the range of my neighbors), will likely be from non-neighbors who make it their sport to oppose OHVs just on principle.
At a meeting at IDPR of neighbors that was required to precede the zoning hearing, I was able to facilitate some understanding among my neighbors: they are supportive of a properly-managed range, which IDPR assured us will be the case. To my knowledge, no one among those at the meeting who actually live in the adjacent housing development knew the range was there, in spite of regular classes being held throughout the Summer, until the meeting was called.

Thank you, and I hope to see you at the zoning meeting.
Hey Alex,
Thank you for the update. I will make the meeting if I can.

In the mean time, can you help me understand something? You say the range pre-dates the housing development, but now we have to go back through a permitting process, due to a "technicality".

How long has the range been in use?
Has it always been operated by IDPR?
How long has the housing been in the vicinity?
How far is the range from the homes?

Thank you!
Brandon
BDizzle8732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #8270
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDizzle8732 View Post
Hey Alex,
Thank you for the update. I will make the meeting if I can.

In the mean time, can you help me understand something? You say the range pre-dates the housing development, but now we have to go back through a permitting process, due to a "technicality".

How long has the range been in use?
Has it always been operated by IDPR?
How long has the housing been in the vicinity?
How far is the range from the homes?

Thank you!
Brandon
I don't have a lot of info on this, but I have been to the range during one of the training classes. A challenge to the use of this location can only really be an effort by people who are against multi-use and wish to make it more difficult for people to seek off-road certification and training.

The course is small, about the half the size of a football field, and is used for various exercises (starting, stopping, turning, traversing obstacles, practicing off camber turns and hill stalls). It is not used for racing or nor would it be possible to use it for that.

It is located near the Shakespeare in the Park facility and the ID Parks and Rec Building. Housing has slowly been creeping out Warm Springs into this vicinity for the last 5 years, but the current housing is only 2-3 years old.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #8271
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Bristle Cone National Forest byway

If you ever get the chance to be along US-396/CA-14 and pass near Big Pine, CA I strongly recommend you take this detour! The road is well paved, twisty and has 100s of little rises and falls (sometime mid road bend)!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx BristleCone Desent.gpx (253.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #8272
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Boise View Post
I went down to Murphy Days yesterday. There I got a chance to meet Jason Abbott and his family.
Here is a bit more about that non-motorcycle trip to the area: http://www.trailimage.com/birch-creek-sandcastle
Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #8273
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Here is a bit more about that non-motorcycle trip to the area: http://www.trailimage.com/birch-creek-sandcastle

Great pics. Very pretty. How'd you find that area ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #8274
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Oakley Road

I saw this question last week. The Oakley Road through the sawtooths between Rogerson and Bostetter campground still has that big drift on tbe road. Was up there playing popo yesterday and it will be a few weeks.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #8275
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Boise ride this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
I saw this question last week. The Oakley Road through the sawtooths between Rogerson and Bostetter campground still has that big drift on tbe road. Was up there playing popo yesterday and it will be a few weeks.

Thanks for the info. That's a beautiful area. We hit snow on that road, too.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 02:50 PM
Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #8276
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Needed: Day rides out of Boise

Boise Posse-

Two or three good day rides are all I'm looking for. Some additional info:

- I'll be solo.
- Experienced dual sporter on a DR650.
- Big IMS tank.
- Garmin eTrex 20.

I'm not looking for anything hard core or technical. Dirt/gravel/logging roads are perfectly fine. Easy single track is the most I'm up for doing.

If you have two or three .gpx files of some loop routes that would allow me to enjoy the grandeur of Boise NF and Sawtooth NF I would be much, much obliged. If you're in Boise I'd be happy to repay you with a lunch and some tall tales.

Thanks in advance...

Knobby
Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #8277
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKnobby View Post
Boise Posse-

Two or three good day rides are all I'm looking for. Some additional info:

- I'll be solo.

- Experienced dual sporter on a DR650.

- Big IMS tank.

- Garmin eTrex 20.

I'm not looking for anything hard core or technical. Dirt/gravel/logging roads are perfectly fine. Easy single track is the most I'm up for doing.

If you have two or three .gpx files of some loop routes that would allow me to enjoy the grandeur of Boise NF and Sawtooth NF I would be much, much obliged. If you're in Boise I'd be happy to repay you with a lunch and some tall tales.

Thanks in advance...

Knobby

You looking for loop day rides out if Boise?

Old 06-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #8278
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
You looking for loop day rides out if Boise?

Sure am. I'm marooned in the midwest for now but the wife and I are looking at Boise as a possible ultimate destination. Riding opportunities will be a huge factor in where I cast my vote. I'll be spending a few days there next month and am looking to do some exploring...
Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #8279
Ron in Boise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I know the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKnobby View Post
Sure am. I'm marooned in the midwest for now but the wife and I are looking at Boise as a possible ultimate destination. Riding opportunities will be a huge factor in where I cast my vote. I'll be spending a few days there next month and am looking to do some exploring...
I live in Boise and am free 7 days a week for a ride. There are many areas right out of town that are easy to get to and can be looped. I am thinking Forest Service two track roads. If you want, contact me when you get here:

Ron in Boise
ronhbr@cableone.net
208-859-7909
Ron in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #8280
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
How'd you find that area ?
I've asked him that exact same question