ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #8386
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
..... and Mountain Lakes, Installment #4

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=53

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #8387
godaddygo
drdude

Oddometer: 331
Route help for west then north of Boise area

Greetings Boise riders,
I am looking for some route advise. The area in question would be to the east of of Boise and then north. Here are a few spots that look sweet. Southern Butte (the road to the top does not show on map but on google earth?) I would like to see some of the volcano fields also seems like Anthony dunes would be of interest to a northern ID guy? From there I will be going north to Saw tell peak,and then the centennial valley east to the magruder. So the route in question is from Boise to Anthony dunes? Hoping the weather is cooler but I am thinking some fast desert roads some over-look buttes and some craters of the moon stuff. Can you help me? I solo on a DR-650...would be camping...here are some examples of how i roll.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993438
Thanks
DRdude
Post falls ID
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #8388
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by godaddygo View Post
Greetings Boise riders,
I am looking for some route advise. The area in question would be to the east of of Boise and then north. Here are a few spots that look sweet. Southern Butte (the road to the top does not show on map but on google earth?) I would like to see some of the volcano fields also seems like Anthony dunes would be of interest to a northern ID guy? From there I will be going north to Saw tell peak,and then the centennial valley east to the magruder. So the route in question is from Boise to Anthony dunes? Hoping the weather is cooler but I am thinking some fast desert roads some over-look buttes and some craters of the moon stuff. Can you help me? I solo on a DR-650...would be camping...here are some examples of how i roll.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993438
Thanks
DRdude
Post falls ID
ok, here's a suggestion: your choice of routes to Featherville, once there, follow South Fork Boise river up to Dollarhide summit into Sun Valley, then Trail Creek summit over to hiway 93. then South on 93 to Pass Creek Rd coming out on Little Lost River Hiway, then South to Howe Idaho. (If you want the lava fields/Big Southern Butte, head South at Sun Valley and go out through Carey and Craters of the Moon and to Arco)... Then take hiway 33 and 22 East to Dubois. Then East on the Kilgore/Yale rd to Red Rd and this will take you South to the Sand Dunes. Once done there, Head back to the Kilgore/Yale Rd to the Camas Battle Field. After the Battle field, stay on the Kilgore/Yale rd East to hiway 20... then North on Hiway 20 to Sawtell Rd...

When you head home, go North on 20 to the Red Rock Lakes Rd, take it West over to I-15, then North to
Montana 278 to Bannack, then take the Bannack Bench rd South to 324, head West to Lemhi Pass rd and go over Lemhi/Lewis and Clark Pass to Hiway 28 near Tendoy. Head South on 28 a few miles South of Gilmore to FS road 296 or Spring Mountain Road, take this road over the top of the mountains West over to Pahsimeroi Rd, from there, take the Pahsimeroi Rd North to Double Springs Pass rd, head West on DSP rd to hiway 93... from there, any way home is a good one... this route will get you to some of the best Mountains and riding in Idaho... enjoy.

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200

silverspurs screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 08:12 PM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #8389
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
ok, here's a suggestion: your choice of routes to Featherville, once there, follow South Fork Boise river up to Dollarhide summit into Sun Valley, then Trail Creek summit over to hiway 93. then South on 93 to Pass Creek Rd coming out on Little Lost River Hiway, then South to Howe Idaho. (If you want the lava fields/Big Southern Butte, head South at Sun Valley and go out through Carey and Craters of the Moon and to Arco)... Then take hiway 33 and 22 East to Dubois. Then East on the Kilgore/Yale rd to Red Rd and this will take you South to the Sand Dunes. Once done there, Head back to the Kilgore/Yale Rd to the Camas Battle Field. After the Battle field, stay on the Kilgore/Yale rd East to hiway 20... then North on Hiway 20 to Sawtell Rd...

When you head home, go North on 20 to the Red Rock Lakes Rd, take it West over to I-15, then North to
Montana 278 to Bannack, then take the Bannack Bench rd South to 324, head West to Lemhi Pass rd and go over Lemhi/Lewis and Clark Pass to Hiway 28 near Tendoy. Head South on 28 a few miles South of Gilmore to FS road 296 or Spring Mountain Road, take this road over the top of the mountains West over to Pahsimeroi Rd, from there, take the Pahsimeroi Rd North to Double Springs Pass rd, head West on DSP rd to hiway 93... from there, any way home is a good one... this route will get you to some of the best Mountains and riding in Idaho... enjoy.
That's a Great ride!!!!!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #8390
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:

Yup
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #8391
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
That's a Great ride!!!!!
Most of these roads have been a part of the IAMC challenges over the past 4 years... just not all of them at once!!

Sam; you and Ryan have been the instigators/inspiration for many of those routes... we owe you both...

Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #8392
godaddygo
drdude

Thanks
got that plotted but having trouble finding camas battle field?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #8393
godaddygo
drdude

Found it...it Big South Butte worthy of a look see? The road open to the top?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #8394
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Thanks
got that plotted but having trouble finding camas battle field?
it's a battle field from the Nez Perce war... it's along the Kilgore road East of the Red Road junction a few miles... you'll see some Indians on horseback in attack mode on the small ridge to the south... (full size metal sillouettes)... along with an info center kiosk and parking lot...

Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #8395
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Found it...it Big South Butte worthy of a look see? The road open to the top?
Big Southern Butte LO definately worth a visit, on a clear day, you'll be able to see 70 to 90 miles in every direction... and it's an IAMC challenge site this year... whether the road is open to the top will be anyones guess... usually better chance if getting open gates to lookouts on weekdays, they tend to lock them up on weekends... not sure why, maybe to stop being overrun on weekends??

Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #8396
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Awesome route X2!
The only part I have missed is Spring Mtn. (Windy Pass), I have been up the west side but stopped by snow.

How does the east side compare?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #8397
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
ok, here's a suggestion
Out of curiosity ... like so (Google map)?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #8398
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
_______ _____ Doctor visit yesterday and with great trepidation he gave me the OK to mount my 2 wheeled steeds. Of course there is an addendum. His biggest concern was and is to not fall down and mounting and dismounting (twisting of hip). easy rides are OK, ease back into it... his words. 6 months is better but he understands my instance (whining).

This morning I went for a short ride....... on both Moya and Bagheera.... I was so happy and well I think I teared up a bit.... from the wind in my eyes.

So that said I am thinking of riding up to the Yellowpine to the.... http://yellowpinemusicandharmonicafestival.org/ via HY55, Warm Lake, FS 474-412 that sounds pretty easy. Probably an overnight sleeping bag, then home.

Hope to see you all out there....

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #8399
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
_______ _____ Doctor visit yesterday and with great trepidation he gave me the OK to mount my 2 wheeled steeds. Of course there is an addendum. His biggest concern was and is to not fall down and mounting and dismounting (twisting of hip). easy rides are OK, ease back into it... his words. 6 months is better but he understands my instance (whining).

This morning I went for a short ride....... on both Moya and Bagheera.... I was so happy and well I think I teared up a bit.... from the wind in my eyes.

So that said I am thinking of riding up to the Yellowpine to the.... http://yellowpinemusicandharmonicafestival.org/ via HY55, Warm Lake, FS 474-412 that sounds pretty easy. Probably an overnight sleeping bag, then home.

Whoop!! welcome back!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #8400
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:

Great news Sam

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote