ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #8401
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Thats great news Sam!

check out post 8397 for Jasons map.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #8402
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
_______ _____ Doctor visit yesterday and with great trepidation he gave me the OK to mount my 2 wheeled steeds. Of course there is an addendum. His biggest concern was and is to not fall down and mounting and dismounting (twisting of hip). easy rides are OK, ease back into it... his words. 6 months is better but he understands my instance (whining).

This morning I went for a short ride....... on both Moya and Bagheera.... I was so happy and well I think I teared up a bit.... from the wind in my eyes.

So that said I am thinking of riding up to the Yellowpine to the.... http://yellowpinemusicandharmonicafestival.org/ via HY55, Warm Lake, FS 474-412 that sounds pretty easy. Probably an overnight sleeping bag, then home.

Hope to see you all out there....
Great news!!!!!!
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #8403
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
This morning I went for a short ride....... on both Moya and Bagheera.... I was so happy
Fantastic news, sir. Pretty amazing, really, you could be out riding so soon after that kind of body mod.

Quote:
So that said I am thinking of riding up to the Yellowpine to the http://yellowpinemusicandharmonicafestival.org/
Great idea. I'm filing a request with the wife right now.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #8404
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Got out of the valley heat

Last week, wife and I with a couple others spent a little time riding the roads and ATV trails in the Buffalo Hump, Dixie, Anderson Butte, Elk City area.

At Gnome Mill Site

For the record. The last six miles from Orogrande Summit to Buffalo hump was the worst road I've ever ridden. At the time I said I'd never ride it again. Rough as hell and with the Devil's Slide portion, it challenged me. Weeks gone by now, I'd do it again!

Wildhorse Lake

Smooth Section

Concord Airstrip

Past St. Louis mine headed toward Jump Camp

Oregon Butte Lookout

Fron Old Orogrande to Dixie

Dixie Forest Service Airstrip and Work Center

Old Blackhawk Mtn Lookout site on Divide Trail 505 heading towards Anderson Butte L.O.

Anderson Butte Lookout

Elk City from near the lookout

And a frequent daily visitor near our camp

From an evening ride on a trail off Five Mile Camp

Mornings at camp are peacefull too (Dredge pond)

Great 3 days of riding it was

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #8405
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
[QUOTE=TheAdmiral;24749809]Last week, wife and I with a couple others spent a little time riding the roads and ATV trails in the Buffalo Hump, Dixie, Anderson Butte, Elk City area.

At Gnome Mill Site

For the record. The last six miles from Orogrande Summit to Buffalo hump was the worst road I've ever ridden. At the time I said I'd never ride it again. Rough as hell and with the Devil's Slide portion, it challenged me. Weeks gone by now, I'd do it again!

nice report... thanks for sharing.

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #8406
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Fantastic news, sir. Pretty amazing, really, you could be out riding so soon after that kind of body mod.

Doctor was a bit concerned and wanted me to maybe wait a little longer... he said listen to your body it'll tell when......... to stop. Just going to do an easy sit in the saddle ride, I should be good as long as I don't try to follow you younger hooligans NO ON THE Pegs time............... YET!

Great idea. I'm filing a request with the wife right now.
Well hopefully I'll see you up there! Be nice to catchup.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #8407
Idahosam
Set Adrift

[QUOTE=silverspurs;24750117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Last week, wife and I with a couple others spent a little time riding the roads and ATV trails in the Buffalo Hump, Dixie, Anderson Butte, Elk City area.

At Gnome Mill Site

Me too, what he said. I will be up there in October ...

Aldous Huxley
Old 08-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #8408
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
[QUOTE=silverspurs;24750117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post

At Gnome Mill Site

..... Ditto

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #8409
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Seafoam Lake: anything left?

After Ryan's report a couple years back, I've been trying to get up to Seafoam Lake. I had plans to make it this month but found the image below geotagged to the edge of the lake for last year. Anyone know if it's all like that?

photo by grakster

Edit:
I just noticed the photographer has other images I wasn't seeing in Google Earth (click image above). Looks a bit grim. Kind of answers my question. Seafoam basin:

Old 08-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #8410
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
After Ryan's report a couple years back, I've been trying to get up to Seafoam Lake. I had plans to make it this month but found the image below geotagged to the edge of the lake for last year. Anyone know if it's all like that?

photo by grakster

Edit:
I just noticed the photographer has other images I wasn't seeing in Google Earth (click image above). Looks a bit grim. Kind of answers my question. Seafoam basin:

Yikes... does anyone know if this fire got over into Soldier Lakes basin??

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #8411
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

..... and Mountain Lakes is finished!

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=58

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #8412
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

photo by grakster

Edit:

Wow .... that sucks. Looks like I might have to cross this one off my list as well..... as you know lots of camp opportunities in the Stanley Basin.

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #8413
Idahosam
Set Adrift

................ I went for a ride this weekend.

Aldous Huxley
Old 08-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #8414
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Goat Lake, goat trail

Awesome, awesome, freaking awesome Jason. As usual. (With Michael's participation given due recognition as well.)

The week after your and Michael's July 19 ride on which you reported, MVTMA hosted the annual ITMA State Ride at the headwaters of the Salmon R., near Galena Summit, from a campground called Chemeketan, a few miles north over the ridge into the Sawtooth NRA... from where you were riding to Goat Lk. Some of the roads and trails you covered were featured on the difficulty-marked MVUMs that the host club handed out, more on that later.

The water crossing pictured on FS 889 (sign says "080" from Bear Cr. TH), which you wisely walked through, claimed one of our less-experienced group who banzai'd into the deepest spot (tip: ride through the part with the faster moving water, it is [usually] shallower), and the full stand-up-on-end-to-drain-the-pipe then turn-bike-upside-down-to-pump-out-the-engine routine ensued.

Where you turned right off of FS889 on to FS828 (Tip Top Mine Tr) then left on Tr. 189 (Goat Lk. Tr), is what my group thoughtlessly elected to bypass: The club had marked Tr. 061, which FS828 becomes after passing the lake trail 189, not as just Most Difficult but as "Gnarly" when it becomes single-track/MC-only. That designation scared the majority of the group off of even looking up FS828, and I now regret that having seen your report. I will be returning without such emotional baggage...

For a further destination, Alturas Lake and nearby Smiley Creek Inn (eat, get gas, fuel up) try this: Continue West on FS889 beyond the intersection with FS828 where you turned off for Goat Lake. 889 turns into Tr197 with its "Sound of Music" views and flower gardens, then go R/north on Tr.018 which becomes Tr227 (S. Fk. Ross Cr. Tr.; difficult and puckery in spots but nothing you can't do if you did Goat Lake switchbacks) for 9000' summit view of Sawtooth Wilderness, then further N. on Tr226 (N. Fk Ross Tr) where it joins Tr.227 and FS888. Tr.226 crosses into the SNRA and intersects left with Tr.034 (R is Tr.181 back towards FS888, then Bear Cr TH). Tr.034 becomes FS205 at lovely Alturas Lk., go R (south) on ID75 to Smiley Creek Inn, and on and on it goes in any direction, as usual for our wonderful state. EG: Loop back via nearby FS215 (Chemeketan CG) to Tr198 or 072, 070 or 224 and 063 ("The Boulders"?) etc. etc., if you like. And I like, so I will do all those things if I can upon my next visit.
Which I am planning now...
USA
Living the dream.

GGAlex screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 12:15 AM Reason: improve Tr # accuracy
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #8415
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGAlex View Post
Awesome, awesome, freaking awesome Jason. As usual. (With Michael's participation given due recognition as well.)

The week after your and Michael's July 19 ride on which you reported, MVTMA hosted the annual ITMA State Ride at the headwaters of the Salmon R., near Galena Summit, from a campground called Chemeketan, a few miles north over the ridge into the Sawtooth NRA... from where you were riding to Goat Lk. Some of the roads and trails you covered were featured on the difficulty-marked MVUMs that the host club handed out, more on that later.

The water crossing pictured on FS 889 (sign says "080" from Bear Cr. TH), which you wisely walked through, claimed one of our less-experienced group who banzai'd into the deepest spot (tip: ride through the part with the faster moving water, it is [usually] shallower), and the full stand-up-on-end-to-drain-the-pipe then turn-bike-upside-down-to-pump-out-the-engine routine ensued.

Where you turned right off of FS889 on to FS828 (Tip Top Mine Tr) then left on Tr. 189 (Goat Lk. Tr), is what my group thoughtlessly elected to bypass: The club had marked Tr. 061, which FS828 becomes after passing the lake trail 189, not as just Most Difficult but as "Gnarly" when it becomes single-track/MC-only. That designation scared the majority of the group off of even looking up FS828, and I now regret that having seen your report. I will be returning without such emotional baggage...

For a further destination, Alturas Lake and nearby Smiley Creek Inn (eat, get gas, fuel up) try this: Continue West on FS889 beyond the intersection with FS828 where you turned off for Goat Lake. 889 turns into Tr197 with its "Sound of Music" views and flower gardens, then go R/north on Tr.018 which becomes Tr227 (S. Fk. Ross Cr. Tr.; difficult and puckery in spots but nothing you can't do if you did Goat Lake switchbacks) for 9000' summit view of Sawtooth Wilderness, then further N. on Tr226 (N. Fk Ross Tr) where it joins Tr.227 and FS888. Tr.226 crosses into the SNRA and intersects left with Tr.034 (R is Tr.181 back towards FS888, then Bear Cr TH). Tr.034 becomes FS205 at lovely Alturas Lk., go R (south) on ID75 to Smiley Creek Inn, and on and on it goes in any direction, as usual for our wonderful state. EG: Loop back via nearby FS215 (Chemeketan CG) to Tr198 or 072, 070 or 224 and 063 ("The Boulders"?) etc. etc., if you like. And I like, so I will do all those things if I can upon my next visit.
Which I am planning now...
Awesome Alex, so you were in our neck of the woods!

I've learned long ago not to charge into water crossings ... this one was a good example, the upstream side had depth hence our mild arc along the downstream edge.

I wouldn't classify the trail to the lake as gnarly, just a couple of typical Idaho switchbacks .... with out gear I'd rate it as intermediate.

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear