User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #46
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Hilliberg

I love my Hilliberg Nalo 3 GT. It's bloody huge. Not big enough to put a motorbike in the vestibule..but plenty for a kermit chair or two and a dollop or twenty six of whisky! The light weight was part of my purchasing decision...Cross Country Traveling..you have enough weight on your bike as it is. The Hilliberg has everything going for it except it's not freestanding. I don't plan on setting it up on a rocky plateau and even if I did..I'm sure I could figure out something. It's of the very finest quality..it's huge..it's lightweight..Packs super small...it's waterproof and it's versitile. Set up camp in the pouring rain and listen to your buddy's bitch about their soaking wet clothing and sleeping bags...in the Hilliberg..you're inside is connected already and is bone dry after set up...get changed in the vesitbule..dry off and into your main tent area.
Photobucket
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #47
AmuleK
What bike wants, it gets

Oddometer: 699
Another possibility - $199

Found this one at costco.com. The Backside makes good stuff...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...at22101&topnav=

This tent is so cool because the vestibule offers enough room for extra friends that want to get out of the rain, or for all your goods, like packs, boots, cats and dogs. you could chill out with a little micro stove and cook your dinner.

Specifications:
  • Capacity: 3 people
  • 3-season
  • PU waterproof design
  • Body: 2-pole free standing design w/additional pole added for stake-out vestibule; Front/side double doors with no-see-um mesh; Water proof-True bucket style; 4000 PU floor w/taped seams Breathable ripstop nylon
  • Poles: 3 poles; ultra light 9.5 mm Air-craft-Aluminum pre-bent poles
  • Fly: Diamond Rip-Stop nylon full coverage rainfly; fully taped seams with 4000 PU coating
  • Canopy: High tenacity Rip-Stop nylon
  • Ceiling: Double stitch & bar-tack design webbing for long life
  • Floor Fabric 210 D. Oxford Nylon with 4000 PU coating
  • Heavy-duty YKK zippers
  • External guy point: 6 (Guy lines included)
  • Doors: 1 inside, 2 in vestibule
  • Pockets: 3
  • Gear loops: 5
  • Suggested Use: General backpacking/ camping
Dimensions:
  • Floor Dimensions: 7' x 7'
  • Peak Height: 4' 3''
  • Floor Area: 49' tent + 35' vestibule (sq. ft.)
  • Vestibule: 64'' x 85''
  • Pack size: 25" x 6" x 4.75"
  • Overall Dimensions:
    7'x7'+ 3.3' + 3.9 x 4.3
  • Total wt: 9 lbs. (includes vestibule)
Attached Images

(On a plaque given to me by friend, Jeff Walker - gunned down in the Trolley Square shooting spree Feb. 12, 2007)
AmuleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #48
michaeln
Old And In The Way

Oddometer: 821
I have a Big Agnes BigHouse 4 with vestibule. The tent (which is 68" tall inside) with attached vestibule looks like this:

The vestibule is 60" tall, 101" long, and the width tapers from 82 to 74". The vestibule has doors on both sides like the one shown. It looks like one of the blimp hangers at Moffett Field inside. Kermit chair? Heh... I think you could put a Kermit Kouch in there. It makes its own weather!

I'm bringing this monster to the Mayday Melee.

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/

San Francisco, CA

michaeln screwed with this post 03-20-2008 at 09:29 AM
michaeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #49
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuleK
Found this one at costco.com. The Backside makes good stuff...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11203900&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|22101|48806&N=4014042&Mo=4&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48806&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11000-Cat22101&topnav=

This tent is so cool because the vestibule offers enough room for extra friends that want to get out of the rain, or for all your goods, like packs, boots, cats and dogs. you could chill out with a little micro stove and cook your dinner.

This thing looks awesome with the 2 openings in the vestibule.
Too bad there are no pics of just the tent.

Anyone seen this before?
Anyone find a review?

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #50
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
I did a write-up on a Vango Omega 250 here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321786

Shameless Plug: My Coleman Phad X3 is for sale, here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322199
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #51
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by querc
But worth every penny! Even devalued pennies

Found a pic of the tarp in action which gives a sense of scale. (near Bering STrait)

Its a big sucker, to be sure. But for a modest 7lbs, provides an unbelievable amount of living space. Good for and what not.

I was at MEC yesterday and bought one of these Mantis tarps and got it setup in the TV room as it was raining out and I don't want it dirty if I return it. It's going outside today for more evaluation. There's a lot of room inside but not enough to get the bike in like some tarps. The netting is really fine so bugs won't be a problem. I'm thinking about sleeping inside it in some kind of a bivy or 1 man tent with no fly just to give a bit of privacy and keep crawlies off me in the night but maybe that's just me being a chicken.

In my early car camping days I bought one of those 10 x 10 polyester shelters to go over the picnic table which kept some rain off but let bugs in. I progressed to a more expensive one with screening around the sides but it still let rain in so I attached clear plasticI with clothes pegs on the windy side. Then I moved on to one with screening and roll down panels which worked well but was huge.

Any one of the open sided tarps on the thread will have the same problem I had years ago so I'm trying a different solution. I'm thinking about a couple of pieces of siltarp material or maybe I can find sone of that clear plastic they use on tent windows cut to fit the shape of the two open sides of the Mantis and use those little plastic covered metal cloths pegs or maybe velcro to attach if rain gets to be a problem on either side.

It's a strange looking contraption to be sure but I think it has possibilities and I need to discover it's quirks, kind of a half tent / half tarp ... so it's a work in progress, I'll update as it gets along.

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 05-18-2008 at 05:40 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #52
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

If you want something to put your bike in, just bring this along ....

http://www.eurekatent.com/pc-91-4-atv-garage.aspx

Or roll the bike right inside with you

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-69-freedom.aspx
Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #53
michaeln
Old And In The Way

Oddometer: 821
This is the Big Agnes Bighouse 4 with optional vestibule... with my Kermit sitting in there.

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/

San Francisco, CA
michaeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #54
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I was at MEC yesterday and bought one of these Mantis tarps and got it setup in the TV room as it was raining out and I don't want it dirty if I return it. It's going outside today for more evaluation. There's a lot of room inside but not enough to get the bike in like some tarps. The netting is really fine so bugs won't be a problem. I'm thinking about sleeping inside it in some kind of a bivy or 1 man tent with no fly just to give a bit of privacy and keep crawlies off me in the night but maybe that's just me being a chicken.

In my early car camping days I bought one of those 10 x 10 polyester shelters to go over the picnic table which kept some rain off but let bugs in. I progressed to a more expensive one with screening around the sides but it still let rain in so I attached clear plasticI with clothes pegs on the windy side. Then I moved on to one with screening and roll down panels which worked well but was huge.

Any one of the open sided tarps on the thread will have the same problem I had years ago so I'm trying a different solution. I'm thinking about a couple of pieces of siltarp material or maybe I can find sone of that clear plastic they use on tent windows cut to fit the shape of the two open sides of the Mantis and use those little plastic covered metal cloths pegs or maybe velcro to attach if rain gets to be a problem on either side.

It's a strange looking contraption to be sure but I think it has possibilities and I need to discover it's quirks, kind of a half tent / half tarp ... so it's a work in progress, I'll update as it gets along.
looks cool, we need a full review of that sucker...get to work
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #55
jcrider48
Adventure Boy

Oddometer: 9
I've got one of these tents and love it. it only take 30 seconds to set up and take down. Excellent quality as well. I can even set it up in the dark after a long days ride.

http://www.atuffy.com/modelspecs.cfm
Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #56
earthman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Heres another tent with a garage attached but check out the size & weight!

http://www.sunnflair.com/tents/dome_...mx_tourer_plus
earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #57
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Cool tent but must be 40 lbs.

The Europeans sure do camp differently
Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #58
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
looks cool, we need a full review of that sucker...get to work

I'll get right on it! I had it outside yesterday and it was really windy and billowed up a bit when the wind got inside. I have to modify the tie downs a bit and I bought two of those big orange plastic stakes from HD to hold it down better. I got some neon rope and a couple of clips so I tied one clip to one end of the rope and attached it at one bottom end of the pole arch where it goes into a gromet and ran it across the ground to the other bottom end and clipped it to hold it open so it doesn't need to be staked. I can then move it easier. I put 5 or 6 loops in the rope so I can move the clip and adjust how wide the arch spreads open.

At first I was thinking about sleeping inside and was looking for a large bivy or bug bivy or small solo tent to fit the dimensions but realized I could still set one of my other tents up outside it and just use it for hanging out in. Means two things to set up but a reguler tarp and tent both take time too .. this is a bit extra to carry around as it's heaveier than just a tarp.

I've got to keep the thinking cap on.

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 05-20-2008 at 05:16 PM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #59
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
2-3 Person Tents with Huge Vestibules...?

What 3 season tents are being offered with 'really big' vestibules?

The Sierra Designs Tengu 2 and 3 have large ones. I know there's the tarp route, but I'm now interested in researching tents suitable for one person that offer a lot of undercover space.

Musts: can open vestiibule w/o getting mild rain in the tent, quick and easy setup
Wishes: one very large is better than 2 mediums

Something livable for a couple of days while Noah wanders in his ark...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #60
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604
I have the REI Half Dome tent. It says it is two person, but I consider it a "1 person plus living space" tent. The vestibules (one on each side) are of a pretty decent size, and do a good job keeping the rain out. It also packs small enough to easily fit into a Jesse bag... I guess it kinda comes down to your definition of "huge"... Another option to consider is hanging a tarp from a line between two trees that goes over your tent. Keeps EVERYTHING dry. Good luck with your search!