Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Aprilia RXV550 with a paddle, fun at Oregon Dunes

Sand!

Work has taken most of my time recently, but I managed to get out on the RXV550 at Oregon Dunes in October. With info from a fellow RXV550 rider SLOrider, I got a flag and fabbed up a mount for a flag whip holder.

Then I had a SKAT-Trak 10-paddle tire made from my old used OEM rear knobby and took my gearing back to stock. I had to buy a new chain to allow the rear wheel to go back far enough to allow the paddle tire to clear the swingarm. Then I headed for the Oregon Dunes 6 hours away.

The Aprilia is rarely trailered, but in this case I can't ride it very far on pavement with a paddle tire!

Oregon coast on the way down. It was raining pretty hard.

but then it got nicer with a bit of sun

The destination

Nice campsite. Most of the campground was empty midweek, not surprising on October. It had just rained and the sand was wet.

And off into the sand! Lots of tracks from the weekend 3 days before, due to the wet sand. Great traction!

Several miles on a sand road called "Ten Mile Sand Road" takes you to the beach. The road was very whooped-out and rutted. Lots of work on the bike and had to keep the speed up on it..

Had the whole beach to myself for miles...

and miles...

and miles of empty beach. Sweet!

Obligatory ADV posed picture. Camera propped on my backpack.

Next day I rode solo from Spinreel staging to Horsfall staging area, approximately 10-12 miles one way across sand and weaving through tree/grass sand trails. This is starting at Spinreel. Again, nobody else out on the dunes.

Little lakes all over the area. Often had quicksand near them.

Fun hills, but some needed a run at them or this would result. Easy enough to flip the bike around, ride down and take another run at it. The Aprilia RXV550 with the 10-paddle tire was very rarely stopped by anything...

...except the rider. Here I took a power turn a bit too hard in the wet sand... no harm done.

cyborg screwed with this post 10-19-2007 at 07:44 PM
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

More sightseeing in the dunes during the traverse of the area.

Tricky dead-ends, had to loop around quite a few areas. I had my GPS and maps in the backpack just in case I got lost -- which you could easily in this area.

Nice rolling dunes.

until off in the distance I see the bridge to North Bend, which means I'm nearing the other end of the dunes area near Horsfall campground.

Stopped here to transfer 3 liters of fuel from my backpack into the tank, since the RXV got about 8-10mpg in the sand. You have to keep the power on all the time in sand, no loafing along.

Reached the other end, Horsfall.

Since the RXV is street legal, I rode about 2 miles of pavement over to the beach for the run back to Ten Mile Sand Road, rather than backtrack on the dunes the way I came, which non-street legal ORV's have to do, else risk a $250 fine for riding the paved road.

Almost high tide, but enough beach to run tapped out in 5th. A very enjoyable cruise back to Spinreel, and again no riders anywhere.

Passed Hauser Sand Road about halfway back on the beach run, then back to Spinreel via the Ten Mile Sand Road.

Then back out in the sand to play. This is how you park when the kickstand won't hold up the bike.

SLOrider had logistics problems and was unable to join up with me for the previous 2 days of riding but he was able to meet me on the last few hours of the last day here, so we got a bit of riding in. Two RXV550's with paddle tires!

SLOrider tears it up a little (w/sound)

SLOrider recently had his full suspension (forks and rear shock) done by RG3 and it's awesome in the sand and jumps. I want that too! My suspension was too soft with OEM springs and rates, but still lworked well in the sand, I just had to keep the altitude down on the jumps.

So ends a great time at the Spinreel area of Oregon Dunes!

An finally a little ending video for you (w/sound)

Old 10-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Awesome!!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
DKADV
Travel is education

Oddometer: 451
Thumb Sand is good!!

Was in Florence and at Sand Lake.

Good fun on the bike and I got to ride a lot of other bikes tooo

Mine:

Borought this one from a good guy from Redmond:-)

Had some real good fun on the 4wheeler too.

Second time was here at Sand Lake OR with Uffeman, a really good friend from Denmark. He's trying the sand too for the first time. Fun as .....!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one has a nano of the action on it...

Nano+ action.....

Like that 550 though.... Now THAT would be fun in the dunes!!!!!!

Yamaha '03 WR450F '05 WR450R '94 TT350 '04 YZF (450)
MZ '81 MZ151
DKADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Great fun Cliff,

I liked the last video, where's the Corona?

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacWestGS
Great fun Clif,
I liked the last video, where's the Corona?
Not far enough South for the Corona!

However I did find the best burgers in the area! Near Hauser, between Horsefall and Spinreel. Run by Monique. Truly huge burgers and really good. Suggested by the local rangers and couple good 'ol boys in pick-em up trucks. They were right!

Complete with large dining area!

In the same parking lot as Dune Burgers I saw this wild vehicle! Owner said it didn't work that well in snow or sand because the SUV is too heavy, but it sure looks cool.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Those "Scat Tracks" are cool, dumbfounded though that they would not work well in snow or sand. What's he use them for? Road driving?

I wonder how the X-CH would work in the sand, guess I'll have to find out someday, even though the YZ would be more fun.

We should make a plan to go camping on the beach sometime.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Those "Scat Tracks" are cool, dumbfounded though that they would not work well in snow or sand. What's he use them for? Road driving?
The owner figures a lighter vehicle on those tracks would work a lot better.

Quote:
I wonder how the X-CH would work in the sand, guess I'll have to find out someday, even though the YZ would be more fun.
We should make a plan to go camping on the beach sometime.
The Aprilia is a really excellent sand machine. It has so much power that with the Rekluse auto-clutch I could blast around, though and up anything in the way very easily and have a lot of fun surfing over the sand. Sand is one medium where you can really use as much power as you can get.

I would have taken my KTM990S into the sand, but no need to since I have the Priller and it has more than enough beans for the sand.

I have a tough time getting away from work, but I do want to go back to ride that area, maybe Winchester Bay dunes. We can talk at the next Engel's...
Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
I have a tough time getting away from work, but I do want to go back to ride that area, maybe Winchester Bay dunes. We can talk at the next Engel's...
Work, yeah me too, I'll see you at the pub sometime.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Looks awesome, my buddy has been and says it is. How do like the aprilia?

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Sloppy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Looks like a blast!

Newbie question: Are the flags required? Why?
Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Sweet report. Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Looks like a blast!

Newbie question: Are the flags required? Why?

So some drunken jackass on a quad coming the other way over the dune knows you're over the hill. Ouch.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Sweet report. Looks great!

So some drunken jackass on a quad coming the other way over the dune knows you're over the hill. Ouch.
PackMule has it right, plus it's the law there too. It really does help a lot in rolling dunes when there's a crowd. The day I left for home in an area just North of Spinreel, a 16yr old on a quad flew over a dune into a dune buggy, injuring the buggy driver and killing himself.

I much preferred riding the dunes alone, more relaxing. The one caveat to riding alone in a deserted area is I had to control myself and keep the jump elevations down because if I endo'd it could have been a few days until somebody found me. Cell phones did work there fortunately, at the top of bigger dunes.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #14
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
Looks awesome, my buddy has been and says it is. How do like the aprilia?
See post #8 above. The Priller is an awesome sand machine.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #15
Mz660
Rydethere

Oddometer: 333
Awesome Report! How well does that 550 do on the road?
Mz660 is offline   Reply With Quote