User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #1
Cigars&Scotch OP
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,817
Enduralast or Omega Charging upgrade revisted

Yes I know we have talked about these for a while now. But it's been some time now and I would like to get an update from the guys that have had these systems installed.

I want to upgrade my system over the winter while I have the PD appart doing the tranny and driveshaft.

Here is what I see in refference to these 2 systems.

Enduralast-450 watts $475.00

Replaces all the stock parts. Whether this is good or bad, I don't really know
No brushess to wear.
Regulator and inverter is one unit.
Said unit mounts out by the battery and is in a cooler enviroment by not being inside the engine.
Permanent magnet alternator. It could heat saturate and reduce efficiencies.
1 year warranty

Omega system- 400 watts $575.00

Hot rodded stock parts. So can be replaced with stock parts if needed in emergency, which I will have just removed.
All parts go in the same locations.
Known trouble shooting procedure as they are in a stock config.
Still uses brushes.

Ok so lets hear from the guys that have had these systems on there bikes and tell me what you like or dislike about them.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,220
This is gonna be my next mod, as soon as I get a little extra dough. I hope some folks chime in on this one.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
omega

I put the Omega system in my 1990 GS/PD a couple of years ago. I didn't know about the Enduralast at the time.The Omega was simple to install, even for an "electrical neophtyte." The system worked well for a few thousand miles then appeared to be having problems. Several calls to M.E. and a new diode board was on it's way. Re-installed that and it's now been 12K of trouble free riding. Support was great, the parts apppear to be very well made, install was simple. I learned a lot by doing the install and reading the book on the basics of the airhead electrical systems. I run a couple of electrical add-ones and the charging is always very good. Customer service was excellent. I'd do the Omega again.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
snoop
Sven from Road Rash

Oddometer: 228
i plan on doing the enduralast, it seems more simple and reliable. Plus cheaper!
snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS
I put the Omega system in my 1990 GS/PD a couple of years ago. I didn't know about the Enduralast at the time.The Omega was simple to install, even for an "electrical neophtyte." The system worked well for a few thousand miles then appeared to be having problems. Several calls to M.E. and a new diode board was on it's way. Re-installed that and it's now been 12K of trouble free riding. Support was great, the parts apppear to be very well made, install was simple. I learned a lot by doing the install and reading the book on the basics of the airhead electrical systems. I run a couple of electrical add-ones and the charging is always very good. Customer service was excellent. I'd do the Omega again.
Ditto to this entire post - almost exactly my experience. Was having trouble after awhile, discovered the diode board was all burnt up,. I called Rick at ME and he sent me a new one for free, and only asked that I send the old one back for him to figure out what went wrong. Bike's been great ever since, no more problems.

I wonder if there was a bad batch, or a redesign on the diode board? Odd that there would be another case like mine... Rick has always been great with me, in every dealing I've had with him, and his products are always top-notch.

I might have felt differently about the diode board issue if it'd happened to me when I was in the boonies, but it happened at home and was as minor inconvenience. So overall I still feel the Omega is a real good product, though I might be tempted to try the other option just to get those extra 50 watts. I tend to find a use for every watt I have, am now considering a sidecar on the PD and will want to add some lights to the car.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,997
20K on Omega and no problems, at all. (knock wood)

I might have gone for enduralast had I known more about it at the time. Cheaper, 50 more watts, and less moving parts. Sounds good.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Cigars&Scotch OP
My eyes are up here

So we had 2 fried diode boards on the Omega. I realize that they stand behind there products and sent you guys out free replacements, and that is a positive. I wonder why though?

Did it give the classic fried board signs? Light on when the bike was running all the time.

The Enduralast does have 50 more watts and is $100 cheaper. I realize that the reg/rectifier is a standard Ducati/Moto Guzzi product. Question is if it goes, can you get a replacement.

I also still have the issue of heat sat into the magnets. I have had quite a bit of experience with high performance brushless motors. One of the issues is that when the core gets hot, it will start to loose gauss (magnetism). We got away from it by using high temp powdered magnets that were pressure fused at very high temps.

I would like to here from someone with an Enduralast.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

77 BMW R90S Huh ?

Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,738
15k on Omega, no problems.
I had solid mounts already, saved $20.00

Old 10-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,724
www.bmwmotorcycletech.info

This is Snowbum's site, and he's done a comparison of the two. He helped the Enduralast folks refine their kit. It's a great site for Airhead Tech info.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
I plan to go towards the Enduralast route when I have the extra cash. What attracts me to it is its cost and more importantly, the brushless rotor. I have had 2 rotors die down on me due to shorting and maybe that's what helped me make my decision. I've had other dealings with Rayski and he appears to have very good customer service. YMMV.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,482
I don't need the watts so haven't needed the swap. I did just spend the weekend with two friends that have had the omega on their bikes for 3 years now. No problems at all. I'd guess the diode board problem mentioned above was a problem with the diode board manufactor and not the system design.

In addition to the pros and cons mentioned above a positive in each camp is the sellers, both Rick and John are way above average to deal with.

That being said if I was going with a system I'd go with the omega for a couple of reasons, one I like that diagnostics stay the same. I haven't heard of any problems but like the idea that I already know how to figure out a problem. Plus I like the stock appearance and mounting. The enduralast system requires you to mount the rectifier ( I think) out in the wind somewhere. Not a big deal but with most everything else being equal it sways my opinion.

I won't even mention that I've never heard Ducati and Moto Guzzi electrical parts mentioned in the same paragraph with reliablitly before. Just kidding, sort of.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Cigars&Scotch OP
My eyes are up here

Well we know that Ducati has been turning motorcyclist into mechanics since 1937.

While Moto Guzzi is Strong like tractor, smart like bull.

77 BMW R90S Huh ?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
It's Enduralast for me

Motorad Elektrik (Omega) has good products and Rick provides superb customer service, however, I chose the Euromotoelectrics Enduralast charging system for my '85 RT. The Omega system seemed to be a tweaked version of the inherently unsatisfactory BMW Bosch design. The argument that heat will degrade the performance of the permanent magnets in the Enduralast system might be true, but has not been evident in my two years / 24 K miles of use. On the other hand, the Omega system had (has?) the rectifier diodes under the front cover and diodes really seem to suffer in that location. I am not an engineer, so make your own choice, but I am in the process of recommissioning a /5 and will install the Enduralast system in that too.

No matter which system you choose, you will ride more when you have heat, lights and reliable starting in any weather. So don't put it off.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
I guess the question I have is why the need for an upgrade at all?? I ride my /5 w/ the stock output year 'round, and have never had any issues w/ lights, starting etc...

I did, however, replace the stock voltage regulator w/ a SS one from Motorrad, and will also replce the diode board w/ an Omega when the need comes, but that is because these two items are inherently better designs than the original, not because I hope to get more power out of the system.

What are folks trying to run that requires so much power and necessitates the need for such a costly, and, in my mind, questionable upgrade??

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Yo Kix

I run a Gerbing's jacket, heated grips and (sometimes) a 55w aux lamp. I also ride year round and with the stock ('85 RT) system, the battery was not always up to the task when temps were in the 20's or 30's. My /5 has never had amps to spare, so it never drove accessories. That you are happy with the stock /5 system might be due to better maintenance on your part or maybe that you accept its limitations. Do you do something special to maintain your charging system?
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote