ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatroper
Do you do something special to maintain your charging system?
Nothing special, I just keep an eye on it and look things over from time to time.

I also don't believe in electric/heated gear, so that is not a concern for me. I use the charging system for just that: charging.
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #17
Cigars&Scotch OP
My eyes are up here
 
Cigars&Scotch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Fancy Pants of North Moran
Oddometer: 1,796
Well you are right that the charging system should be used for charging. That was then and this is now. You can keep the stock system and maintain it, and it will do exactly what it was designed for.

Now a days we might be doing things a little different.

My PD has a HID headlight system which actually reduces my draw on the system by 20 watts or so. It has an LED tail light to also reduce the draw and make that tiny light look more visable. I run a GPS pretty much all the time. It has an MP3 player built in and that drives my helmet speakers. It has a set of Touratech HID driving and regular fog lights. Heated grips and the outlet to drive my heated jacket and pants. Plus up here in the NE we have this thing called traffic. I really do not like watching the red light flicker on and off on my daily commute because I am boderline charging at 1100 rpm's. And that is without any of the said items above.

All these things draw from what is admittedly the weak point on these bike. They were originally designed to run of the camshaft at twice the rpm or so thats what I have been told. So the system is a compromise.


I think you can not go wrong with either system here if that is what you need. Be it for the reasons I stated above or what ever issue you might be running against.

It seems from the thread that a few more people have the Omega installed on there bike and a few would have like to have tried the Enduralast.

Service and customer support is not an issue so that is a wash in my book.

Omega uses the standard diagnostic procedure.

Enduralast has no wear items.

Omega parts are a direct replacement.

Enduralast need to be wired into the bike.

Omega still has the issue of the diode board in a hostile enviroment.

Enduralast could have heat sat on the magnets( guess thats why there are 2 sets of vanes)

One is $475 and the other is $575, one is 450 watts and the other is 400 watts respectfully.

I would like to here from some more Enduralast customers.
__________________
Mike

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Southpawman
Overpowered by Funk
 
Southpawman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Lower Alabama - The original L.A.
Oddometer: 280
Hey, Mike. I'm leaning toward the Enduralast myself. Bob (aka Snowbum) from the Airheads list has this on his website. A bit on the verbose side, but the guy is very thorough.
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/AftrMrktAlt.htm

P.S. Nice to meet you at the rally, and thanks for brining the keg! . )
__________________
"I got it, I got it! We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em..."
- Taggart

'89 R100GS - El Chivo Blanco
'94 R100M - The Pink Bike
ABC 8573
MOA 129626
RA 30960
ECV 1.5
Southpawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #19
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer
 
R-dubb's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
It seems from the thread that a few more people have the Omega installed on there bike and a few would have like to have tried the Enduralast.

Service and customer support is not an issue so that is a wash in my book.

Omega uses the standard diagnostic procedure.

Enduralast has no wear items.

Omega parts are a direct replacement.

Enduralast need to be wired into the bike.

Omega still has the issue of the diode board in a hostile enviroment.

Enduralast could have heat sat on the magnets( guess thats why there are 2 sets of vanes)

One is $475 and the other is $575, one is 450 watts and the other is 400 watts respectfully.

I would like to here from some more Enduralast customers.
Excellent summary. I have no direct experience with either. I've thought long and hard about popping for an Enduralast. I would not buy an Omega. Comes down to the rotor. My motor will gladly spin to 8200 rpm. Rotor windings come apart at that speed. Happened to my stocker. The Omega rotor is heavier and generates even more outward force. Maybe it holds up, but Rick did not recommend it for high rev use. I'd be curious if anyone has spun a rotor with the Omega. The brush-less magnet is very attractive by comparison. So is getting rid of the diode board.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #20
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
Excellent summary. I have no direct experience with either. I've thought long and hard about popping for an Enduralast. I would not buy an Omega. Comes down to the rotor. My motor will gladly spin to 8200 rpm. Rotor windings come apart at that speed. Happened to my stocker. The Omega rotor is heavier and generates even more outward force. Maybe it holds up, but Rick did not recommend it for high rev use. I'd be curious if anyone has spun a rotor with the Omega. The brush-less magnet is very attractive by comparison. So is getting rid of the diode board.
Intersesting point on th high RPM problems. I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense for sure.
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead
 
jtwind's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Madison WI
Oddometer: 3,473
Snowbum finally got a chance to test a omega system recently. I was surprised to see that the omega system put out more watts than the enduralast. This dispite the manufactors claims where the opposite is true.

His website will be updated soon with this info.
__________________
JT

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.


jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
Southpawman
Overpowered by Funk
 
Southpawman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Lower Alabama - The original L.A.
Oddometer: 280
He just updated it, and I put the link above. here it is again:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/AftrMrktAlt.htm
__________________
"I got it, I got it! We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em..."
- Taggart

'89 R100GS - El Chivo Blanco
'94 R100M - The Pink Bike
ABC 8573
MOA 129626
RA 30960
ECV 1.5
Southpawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #23
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,261
from snobum's site (you can thank me later for removing the yellow background with red text):


"Conclusions:

1. The stock 280 watt Bosch system is adequate for most Airhead riders. If driving lights and heated grips and other accessories are contemplated, one may well be marginal or negative on electricity generation. It depends on how much additional load is being actually used, for how long, and what the average rpm is, peak rpm, and idle time. Very difficult to make a definitive statement, as riders differ in how they ride and use the engine.

2. For COMMUTERS with high electrical loads who do a lot of short distance stop and go, I recommend the EnDuraLast over the Omega. For those with similar electrical loads, but who do mostly open highway riding, the Omega will produce the additional electricity that might be needed.


EITHER of these systems will perform adequately enough for those that need more electricity. The Omega has the maximum output edge."
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #24
datchew
Don't buy from Brad
 
datchew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah - the dirty south
Oddometer: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
"Conclusions:

1. The stock 280 watt Bosch system is adequate for most Airhead riders. If driving lights and heated grips and other accessories are contemplated, one may well be marginal or negative on electricity generation. It depends on how much additional load is being actually used, for how long, and what the average rpm is, peak rpm, and idle time. Very difficult to make a definitive statement, as riders differ in how they ride and use the engine.

2. For COMMUTERS with high electrical loads who do a lot of short distance stop and go, I recommend the EnDuraLast over the Omega. For those with similar electrical loads, but who do mostly open highway riding, the Omega will produce the additional electricity that might be needed.


EITHER of these systems will perform adequately enough for those that need more electricity. The Omega has the maximum output edge."


(Blake, thx for saving me the need for welding helmet)


Translation: if'n you want a helluva lot of juice, buy the omega and drive really fast. If you just want to power your accessories ALL the time even when just putzing around or climbing the alps in 1st gear, and want to get rid of a few maintenance issues, get the enduralast.

yes, that was biased, and all in jest. Looks like they both do a damn fine job of increasing output. For me, it's all about reliability and less maintenance. I think i'm going enduralast. (or else a honda )
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
hogmolly
Dude
 
hogmolly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: McKinney, TX and San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 3,141
It's a mistake to generate reliability data from pictures. Most failures will be likely be from shielding, glue joints, faulty assembly, or such. You really need to look at track record in the field to talk about reliability.
__________________
10 FLHCUSE-BLK, 09 FXDL, 08 FXDWG, 98 FLHR, 07 R1200GS Adv, 95 R100GSPD Classic, 93 R100GSPD, 92 CB750
hogmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #26
datchew
Don't buy from Brad
 
datchew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah - the dirty south
Oddometer: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmolly
It's a mistake to generate reliability data from pictures. Most failures will be likely be from shielding, glue joints, faulty assembly, or such. You really need to look at track record in the field to talk about reliability.
you're right, but I think a well developed gut sense of mechanical workings can be sufficient license to make a judgement call... which is what is needed in this thread. Naturally, data and time will judge us all, but who wants to wait that long when it getting cold and we need more juice?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #27
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: North Coast (Lake Erie)
Oddometer: 1,058
Enduralast

I installed the Enduralast on my '92 GSPD in the early part of the Summer. I haven't ridden it enough to have an opinion yet but, I find myself not thinking about charging issues when I do ride the bike.
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #28
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard
 
lesman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 432
Duralast

Hi all,
My rotor died for the second time in 3 years /21,000 miles. I had MPH install my Duralast. I've run it 2 months/2500 miles. It starts to charge at 1200-1400 rpms versus stock is 2600-2800 rpm. It has 400 watts by 1800-2000 rpms(I've been told)I've changed to a LED tail light. I can run my 2 PIAA 35watt lights with no problem and hit my Stebel nautilaus for 10-15 seconds (because I can)before it not charges. From my short experience it's one big improvement over stock. I chose Duralast because of less components and price.


Les
lesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
norton73
drinkin'
 
norton73's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful Downtown Springville, Alabama
Oddometer: 8,182
good thread

I think you cannot interchange the Omega rotor and/or stator with the stock parts. I believe the rotor is slightly larger in diameter.

I'm biased towards the Omega just 'cause Rick lives about 25 miles away. As an added reason, as JT said, I'm already familiar with the troubleshooting.
__________________
Loose nut holding the handlebars
He’s one of those who knows that life is just a leap of faith. Spread your arms and hold your breath, always trust your cape. Guy Clark "The Cape"
norton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,261
i seem to remember that the stock parts dont mate up correctly as well.

also, last i heard rick wasn't selling the omega rotor by itself, so if you wished to carry a spare you had to order one from somewhere in europe.

i'm leaning toward the enduralast.


Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
good thread

I think you cannot interchange the Omega rotor and/or stator with the stock parts. I believe the rotor is slightly larger in diameter.

I'm biased towards the Omega just 'cause Rick lives about 25 miles away. As an added reason, as JT said, I'm already familiar with the troubleshooting.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014