User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
epix1718 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
A Ride Around the Lake

Well after buying a used motorcycle off Craigslist last year I've had been having a lot of fun with the thing, including the not so much fun learning experience of crashing and breaking my foot and wrist last summer.. but now that I've had a year to heal up and get more experience Jeff (Thanantos) came up with the idea of riding around Lake Michigan and the southern coast of Lake Superior. Of course I was up for the trip and brought my camera along for the 2000+ mile ride. In the process of getting ready for this trip I literally the afternoon before leaving just signed the closing papers on my first home.. way excited about having my own house but I'm ready for adventure too!

We spent a total of 7 days on the road, and so I decided to pack lightly with just the neccessities; here is my bike all loaded up (minus my protection gear), tent strapped on top. Camera and small items (snack bars, waterproof gear) in the front tank bag.

Steve in our rowdy pack of 7 grabbing an ice cream the night before departure

Wine and fire

Bikes in slumber before the trek the next day

Frank didn't get the memo about traveling lightly.. here is his tent crammed with a queen-sized airmattress.. and very surprisingly he packed the most all on his little 250cc motorcycle.

I supplied Rib-Eye steaks for our first night; hope the guys like em charbroiled!

The full team

The 2nd day we did the "Tunnel of Trees" scenic drive after passing through Charlevoix, MI and at the end ate lunch at Leggs Inn

After passing over the Mackinac Bridge (no way I was getting my camera out for the ride across that! The winds are insane!!, plus you ride over grates, look down and you see the water under you) we rode up to Paradise, MI and landed up at White Fish Point.

Frank scoping out for cuties on the beach

For our 2nd night we rode over just west of Newberry, MI and camped out at a state campground, was a great location way down a dirt road and we were the only campers there :)

Reyer cooking up some dinner

Steve's 250cc Ninja all dazzled up

Super clear night

Everyone went to bed, I stayed up to get a couple night shots

Next day we set out towards Lake Muskallonge as we heard there was a newly paved road with lots of turns.. I was up here 3 years ago and well I remember it not being paved and that was the case.. was a loooong 18 miles of dirt/sand but we made it, even the guys on sport bikes pushed through.

Steve did manage to drop his bike in the deep sand but took it like a champ

Kickstands don't work too well in this sand but logs work pretty well

85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
epix1718 OP
Studly Adventurer

After making it to Grand Marais we filled up our bikes and our bodies with much needed fluids and learned this is where the new PAVED road starts! It was a very nice road all the way to Munising. We stopped and cooled off in the fridged waters of Lake Superior here before stopping in for some Chinese for lunch in Marquette and then deciding to find a camping spot for the night.. We did a quick internet seach of public campgrounds around Houghton so made our way that way.. the 1st two on the list were complete duds, swampy grounds or just nothing at all.. our 3rd and last on the list I was feeling a bit hesitant as it was just another crummy dirt road but after we crested the hill we could see the sun shining off a big body of water. We pulled up and no one was around; had our own lake to ourselves :)

Wayne was about dead tired as we pulled up.. looong day or riding especially the dirt roads.

Cooling off (and trying to remove sweaty butt smell) in the lake

Just relaxing in Reyer's hammock tent

Winds died down in the late evening and lake was like a mirror; I duely noted this camping location my GPS for future use

Steve's nice BMW bike

We headed north up the Keeneewa Peninsula and up to Copper Harbor; had to do a bit of repair on Reyer's bike.. 6 men, 2 pieces of scrap wood, and a semi-used piece of sand paper and all was well.

On top of Brockway Mountain Drive

We got some old ladies to get a group photo of us :)

After traveling back down from Copper Harbor and through Hougton we headed west out to the Porcupine Mountains.. here we are at Lake of the Clouds.

That night we camped just south of Porcupine Mountains. Actually had an outhouse here! Woohoo! Just down from our camping site was the beaches of Lake Superior.

My campsite/tent for the evening. Left the rain fly off to view the stars and keep cool.

Reyer and I head out to explore the trails and waterfalls

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
epix1718 OP
Studly Adventurer

We stroll down the river a bit where it empties out into the lake

Reyer braves it and jumps in to float out into the lake.

View from inside my tent as the sun sets upon us.

The last two days I didn't really take many photos, was a lot highway travel, we went south to Green Bay for the night and up the Door Peninsula to the tip. Very pretty up there but LOTS of traffic so and the heat was immense.. not in the mood for photos. After rounding the peninsula we stayed in Racine, WI. We decided to just motel it this night and surpsingly it was exactly next door to the Harley Davidson shop (and a Dairy Queen so that was nice too with this heat!).

After making it through Chicago along the express way we stopped finally in New Buffalo for our final good byes and split off. I made it home safely about 90 minutes after our final departure and grabbed a photo of the GPS as I pulled into the garage. Forgot to turn on the GPS for one leg of the journey but in total we did about 2000 miles.

Quite a bit of bug guts along the way.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,207
Nice ride!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Nice report dude. Thanks for doing it!

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Nice report. Great photos.

The missus and I are headed up that way soon. Cant wait.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote