Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #76
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,484
I had no idea these existed in the northeast. Great photos/report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #77
SRTie4k
Zed Head

Oddometer: 11
I just happened across this thread and I've gotta say I've always wanted to contact the owner of that silo and ask for a tour. Last year I did a bunch of research on the Atlas sites surrounding the Plattsburgh Air Base. My family has a house up on Isle La Motte, so one weekend that I was up there I drove to Atlas Site 2 in Alburg VT. Right now they use it for town vehicle storage, but the gate is open all the time.

I wandered around a bit, walked across the massive concrete and steel bay doors, found the escape hatch (which was, as you said, filled with sand...I thought it was filled by the town, guess I was wrong). There was also a huge metal grate which I presume was a ventilation shaft of some sort, which looked pretty rusted out, so I didn't bother walking on it. If you looked down into the grate, there was tons of twisted, rusted metal that disappeared into a vast cavernous structure underneath.

Eventually I found the actual entrance to the LCC, a big concrete doorway that led underground. The outer door frame was still intact, although it was welded shut, but I climbed through it (seems like there were maybe glass, plexiglass or steel panels there at one point that had been removed). There were a bunch of birds nested just inside the entrance, and they flew out in a frenzy, but I kept going.

Unfortunately I was not very prepared for the journey, and did not have a camera or a flashlight, but it didn't really matter anyways. Once I descended the first flight of stairs, at the bottom I found about a foot of water flooded the first hallway. I could only stand at the bottom of the stairs and see the hallway turn the corner about 20 feet beyond me. I read that this site was flooded out, but I didn't realize to what extent. It really evoked a sense of wonderment and a slightly eerie feeling thinking about all that history, all of that structure, the leftover remnants of a gone era laying dormant under hundreds of feet of water, most likely never to be seen by human eyes again.

After the roadblock I encountered, I poked around the surface a little more, than left the site and headed to Swanton VT, Site 3. Unfortunately either the town or some construction company owns the land and also uses it to park their vehicles, but this time the site was fenced off and gated, and the gate was closed, ending my little morning journey.

I'm glad that you guys could share the excitement and wonder of an age that some of us have never and probably will never experience. Thanks
SRTie4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #78
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar Beemer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_7

A really chilling book about...... Level 7. Sorry, not sure if it ever got made into a movie.

Great report - WOW!
Level 7... Sounds like a cool book. I'll start searching for it.
Thanks.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #79
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Cool stuff, SRT.

~Q, you going to the Mass dualsport this weekend?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #80
vokoun29
Preds Addict

Oddometer: 105
awesome!

I would love to see this place. Thanks for the story and photos.
vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #81
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Hello All.

I've been trying to think of all the movies that I have seen that have something to do with Nuclear war and or Underground Shelters.

Alex has invied us over for a Science Fiction Movie Marathon at the Silo some evening....

So far I have:
Dr. Strangelove (of course)
Red Dawn
FireFox
K-19 Widowmaker
The Day After
A Boy and his Dog

Can the ADV collective come up with any others?
Thanks in Advance.

Also, does anyone have any leads on a Atlas Missile?
Might be nice to have around the base.
You know, to cheer things up a bit.
Q~
Not to overly necro a thread, but what War Games or from the Z-list Massive Retaliation?
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #82
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,160
Cool2 bump

it's on a show called "you live in a what?" on hgtv now. also @midnight and 2 pm eastern.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #83
Oilboiler

Oddometer: 394
Fascinating

In the 70s and 80s i lived on the other side of the Iron Curtain, as my homeland unfortunately was part of the Soviet empire back then.

I was never afraid of the nuclear annihilation though. I was always convinced that the nuclear weapons guarantee peace. States only start wars when they think they can win.

Now, if the western governments would have been stupid enough to listen to the protesting hippies and disassembled all nuclear weapons, the soviets most likely would have marched on Berlin, West-Germany, etc
Oilboiler is offline   Reply With Quote