User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Dirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
New but older '05, 1200GS

My dealer has a 1200GS with low miles, 3200 miles. This bike belonged to a Doctor. He just never used the bike, he didn't have the time.

The 1200GS is sitting at the dealer here at Charleston. The owner of the dealership, is asking $8,500 for bike. I wanted the new '14 f800gsa, but that's a little costly.

So, what do you guys think? Is there anything I should worry about? The dealer still wants me to purchase the '14 f800gsa.

I was told the doctor, who owned the bike, went through batteries, since he didn't use a battery tender. As for options, the 1200gs has a Baja light kit, with a light modulator, headlight guard, and the vario expandable panniers.

So, what do you folks think???
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,924
That is an OK price. Get a 30 day warranty and offer $7500 out the door. He might go for it. $8K is OK for that bike.

The reason for the warranty is that that bike sat a LOT, and sitting like that can be very hard on a bike, particularly since the owner obviously didn't do much storage maintenance, based on the battery.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
I don't often disagree with Jim VB. But I own an 05. It had problems that showed up at longer mileage than this bike that were covered under warranty that no longer applies to this bike. For example my 05, which was a first year of production experienced 3 final drive failures, one Canbus failure and a couple of other things before the warranty ran out. Do you want to risk paying to fiix these things out of your own pocket? Dave
Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I don't often disagree with Jim VB. But I own an 05. It had problems that showed up at longer mileage than this bike that were covered under warranty that no longer applies to this bike. For example my 05, which was a first year of production experienced 3 final drive failures, one Canbus failure and a couple of other things before the warranty ran out. Do you want to risk paying to fiix these things out of your own pocket? Dave
You had unusually bad experiences, I'll admit. That is why I suggested a 30 day warranty.

Fortunately I never had any of the issues you had, on any of my three higher miles 05 R1200 bikes.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,726
My 2005 GS had almost 110k miles when I sold it, I bought it new and other than routine maintenance items I had to replace a cracked rear flange for $300.
I won't say what I was able to sell it for, but it wasn't a whole lot less than the dealer wants for this bike.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You had unusually bad experiences, I'll admit. That is why I suggested a 30 day warranty.

Fortunately I never had any of the issues you had, on any of my three higher miles 05 R1200 bikes.
Jim, didn't you have the infamous leaky tranny seal issue? I did with my '05 and lots of other folks I know did, too. Typically showed up in the 20K to 30K range, I think. I recommend people buying an '05 with less than 40K miles to check if the seals were replaced. If not Depends upon how good the price.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Jim, didn't you have the infamous leaky tranny seal issue? I did with my '05 and lots of other folks I know did, too. Typically showed up in the 20K to 30K range, I think. I recommend people buying an '05 with less than 40K miles to check if the seals were replaced. If not Depends upon how good the price.
True, I did on two of three. The trans seal on my first 05 went 20K miles before replacement, the R1200ST about the same. Both under warranty. The 06 and early 07 had the same issues.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 264
Extended warranty ?

Wonder if it is possible to buy one for this bike since the miles are so low.

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
Dirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post

No, I don't. Though I really want to own, a 1200gs, the cost of ownership is a different matter.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 805
I have an '05 GS, build date of 01/04. I'm the 3rd owner. Previous owner had clutch seals replaced at 36,000 or so. I bought it with 44,000 miles. It's now at 63,000 miles. The only issues I've had are a cracked rear flange, which I was able to replace following marchyman's write-up on his own site.

Oh, and I bought mine for $8600, with Hepco-Becker bars, PIAA 004x lights, Jesse Odyssey I bags, Sargent seat 3 years ago. So definitely negotiate a lower price.

And if you're at all handy with a wrench, this forum has pretty much all the maintenance guidance you'll need, and plenty you won't.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 167
I have an '05 1200GS with low miles, 25,000, and so far have not had any issues. All scheduled maintenance and recalls done by the dealer.

Been to Alaska and mexico on it and it is a great bike. I also had an 800GS, just sold it to get a street bike. While they are both GS's the 1200 and 800 are different bikes. I say if you are going to do a lot of hard off road, the 800 might be better. That said, I have had the 1200 on some really rough single track in Mexico, river crossings with water up over the cylinder heads, etc. It is an awesome bike and will do most anything that the 800 would do, but is heavier.

If you could get it for less than $8000 you would have a great 'new bike' for not much money. Have the dealer go through it and do the fluid changes and any updates / recalls. Take it on a long test ride, even some dirt road if you can, get a feel for it. It will be great.

But get the bike you want....
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,068
05 50k no real issues so far other than the final drive BIG seal starting to ooze a tiny bit (simple to replace). I do "all" my own maintenance and keep an eye out for know problems. no leaks, no drips, no abs faults, no cracks, no final drive shimmy....

I did have the horn start blowing continuously once going down a real rough dirt road. I pulled the plug, then plugged it back in a week or two later, no problems since.

Waiting for my recall letter on the fuel pump thingy.

Plan to ride it into the ground.

I have a buddy with an 05 RT 235k miles and just had his first major problem. The transmission is starting to whine. HE IS NOT A MAINTANENCE PERSON AT ALL. And he rides the shit out of it. mine should last forever.

I have a set of factory bags and mounts if you need them... good to better condition LOTS of STICKERS. reasonable offer would own them.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,566
I bought my '05 (extremely over-farkeled) in July 2008 with 17K miles for $10K.

Original owner had replaced the clutch under warranty at 5K miles. Paperwork said the slave was bad but they replaced the clutch too because it had been slipping as result of the slave failure.

I replaced the Final Drive at 60K miles. ($1,800 part)

Other than that and intermittent lamp failure errors with the taillight/brake light that seem to have finally been resolved with a new taillight unit, no real issues.

Personally, I would be concerned with that low mileage on an '05, but I don't know if that is valid concern or not.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,129
My 05 bought new has had just a few problems. Two stick coils, a ZFE and a few headlight bulbs have failed. It's had no warranty claims except for the 5 recalls. No leaks at all yet! Yes, my front brakes are still squeaky
05-GS- Rock Red 86k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
I bought my '05 (extremely over-farkeled) in July 2008 with 17K miles for $10K.

Original owner had replaced the clutch under warranty at 5K miles. Paperwork said the slave was bad but they replaced the clutch too because it had been slipping as result of the slave failure.

I replaced the Final Drive at 60K miles. ($1,800 part)

Other than that and intermittent lamp failure errors with the taillight/brake light that seem to have finally been resolved with a new taillight unit, no real issues.

Personally, I would be concerned with that low mileage on an '05, but I don't know if that is valid concern or not.
I had that same fault issue. I cleaned the contacts on the bulb and the fixture and added dielectric compound and no issues since.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote