ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #151
eoneil60
RYOR
 
eoneil60's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Oddometer: 17
Very Impressive - Cogratulatios!
eoneil60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #152
Tigrou
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tigrou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: France
Oddometer: 233
My 1200 GSA just reach 70.000 miles (but not without any problem ) and I just think " where is Hank"
Happy to see some pics and infos about him here.
__________________
French GS/GSA Forum http://gsfr.forumactif.com/
GS'02 - 95.000 miles
GS'06 - 85.000 miles
GS'13 - 7.000 miles …for the moment
Tigrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #153
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
enkil's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: On the road
Oddometer: 153
Amazing...
__________________
Having fun while at it...
enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #154
GypsyWriter
Sarah
 
GypsyWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Hanford CA
Oddometer: 1,432


Where ya at on miles now?
__________________
2012 R1200GS Rallye - Gypsy
2003 R1150GSA with DMC sidecar
Ask A Self-Publisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #155
little foot
Scratch and Sniff
 
little foot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The Springs, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,920
amazing
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #156
martīn
Adventurer
 
martīn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark
Oddometer: 90
Time for an update

So whatīs the mileage now?
__________________
Even a broken clock is right twice a day
martīn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #157
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

YES Time for an Update. Sadly, very sadly I sold my 1998 R1100 GS because I thought the R1200GS ( 2007) , I would like more. In some ways I did, in some ways I did not. The Guy who bought my 98 R11GS back in 2006, is still riding it, has over 100,000 miles. I offered him $9,000 to buy the OLD gal back. He said no way in hell. I had to sell the R12GS because of the crappy economy at the end of 2008/ 2009. ( got laid off). Have not had a job worth a crap since. A friend who owns a 1998 Anniversary edition, is willing to sell it to me. It is clean and has low miles. All i need now is a good job! I will NEVER SELL that bike if I am honored enough to get to own it. I will be tempted to park it next to the bed and hold the kick stand during the night. I think I can convince my wife that the bike is not a male...and the only sex we have is in the mind!!!!

Hank, If ever I get the chance I will come visit you in Tx. You are about a 8 to 10 hr ride from me. Lafayette, La. If ever you come this way, let me know.
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #158
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,547
a question for R1100GS ( R1150gs, R1200gs ) owners

I was reading info on Antons site ( http://www.largiader.com).
He talks about many things and I know he really knows his stuff.
I am wondering/ concerned about 2 things.

A.L. talks about:

1. gas getting from the left side of tank to right side ( where the fuel pick up is) .. I never had that problem on my bike ( http://www.largiader.com/tech/crossover/)

2. Old tanks will flake off their inner coating. Does he mean just if tank is welded on.... or what?

I ask because I want to buy a R1100gs as soon as funds become available, and I want to know what I am getting into.
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #159
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
I was reading info on Antons site ( http://www.largiader.com).
He talks about many things and I know he really knows his stuff.
I am wondering/ concerned about 2 things.

A.L. talks about:

1. gas getting from the left side of tank to right side ( where the fuel pick up is) .. I never had that problem on my bike ( http://www.largiader.com/tech/crossover/)

2. Old tanks will flake off their inner coating. Does he mean just if tank is welded on.... or what?

I ask because I want to buy a R1100gs as soon as funds become available, and I want to know what I am getting into.
On the non-Adv model there is always a liter+ of gas left on one side unless you lean the bike nearly over to the right to move it. The adventure has a crossover tube.

The metal tank has a coating that can flake off. It appears to be worse when stored long term dry. It doesn't have anything to do with welding.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 04:59 PM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #160
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
On the non-Adv model there is always a liter+ of gas left on one side unless you lean the bike nearly over to the right to move it. The adventure has a crossover tube.

The metal tank has a coating that can flake off. It appears to be worse when stored long tern dry. It doesn't have anything to do with welding.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
So are you saying that as long as tank has gas in it... the interior wont flake or it will be minimal?
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #161
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Thanks Jim,
So are you saying that as long as tank has gas in it... the interior wont flake or it will be minimal?
That appears to be the case.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #162
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus
 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Texas Hill Country, Zip Code EIEIO
Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Thanks Jim,
So are you saying that as long as tank has gas in it... the interior wont flake or it will be minimal?
Racegun, the older steel tanks will lose the sprayed on lining, and some believe it's due to ethanol.

My 98 had big sheets of it when I first pulled the filter to swap in a new one. Hank pulled out more residue later when he did some work on it about 5 years ago. Recently when my bike was having mileage issues I cleaned it out once again and got more flakes...

Hank's tank did the same before he took his bike to Tierra del Fuego, and he had the tank burned out and repainted but not relined. We were discussing this recently and he has a source for relining the tanks but neither of us have had the time to get it done.

I've not found the lining flakes to be an issue (yet) and I've been riding it for 6 years that way. Recently I've had a mileage drop and feel it's probably due to 15 yr old injectors, and it's possible some of the rust particles from the bare steel may be involved. Who knows

Expect it on an older bike with a steel tank but don't lose sleep over it
You can have it cleaned and relined or can buy the relining kits and do it yourself. I researched all the liners and there were a couple that were highly recommended (not Kreem or Creem??).

LoneStar screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:10 PM
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #163
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,547
also "ricky bars" please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Racegun, the older steel tanks will lose the sprayed on lining, and some believe it's due to ethanol.

My 98 had big sheets of it when I first pulled the filter to swap in a new one. Hank pulled out more residue later when he did some work on it about 5 years ago. Recently when my bike was having mileage issues I cleaned it out once again and got more flakes...

Hank's tank did the same before he took his bike to Tierra del Fuego, and he had the tank burned out and repainted but not relined. We were discussing this recently and he has a source for relining the tanks but neither of us have had the time to get it done.

I've not found the lining flakes to be an issue (yet) and I've been riding it for 6 years that way. Recently I've had a mileage drop and feel it's probably due to 15 yr old injectors, and it's possible some of the rust particles from the bare steel may be involved. Who knows

Expect it on an older bike with a steel tank but don't lose sleep over it
You can have it cleaned and relined or can buy the relining kits and do it yourself. I researched all the liners and there were a couple that were highly recommended (not Kreem or Creem??).
Thank you Lonestar. Specially the not loose sleep part. I am looking at 2 different R1100GS 75th anni series. So you can understand my concern.

One of the bikes has ricky bars. What are the bennifits of those vs stock bars... does anyone know?
__________________
Cheers!
Dave
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #164
catundaseskin
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Kelso Scotland
Oddometer: 22
milestone

Just read this through again. I cant count the number of times I have said Im selling mt 1100gs because I dont use I enough. Every time I ride it it puts a big grin on my face and decide I cant get rid of if. These bikes get under your skin and almost become part of you,and because of that mine will never be sold. Unlike hanks it is a mere baby with only 50000 miles on it. Dont think I will ever wear it out,but I intend to have fun trying
Ride safe everyone
Cheers Dave
catundaseskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #165
Twinz
Studly Adventurer
 
Twinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: VT
Oddometer: 542
Congrats! That's a lot of miles on one bike. Have you estimated how much you've spent on tires? We should have a poll! My guess...$17,500
__________________
Twinz, Montpelier, VT
04 aprilia Futura, Ash Black - love it!
Gone but not forgotten:
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014