User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

Oddometer: 32
Help with a F650GS problem

I know many dont consider this the right place for a thumper however this is where I go for BMW issues, with that said:

Problem just started Saturday; all was well I stopped at a light and the bike died, would restart but would not idle. Rode for several more hours and the problem continued. Only other odd things was once the RPM gauge fluttered for a few minutes. Once home continued starting and letting it die, on about the 10th time idled fine. Sunday went out for a ride; yep....same problem.

Battery cables are tight and clean.
Always keep on a charger.
Refueled twice, added a little methonol "heet" for any water issues.

Any ideas? 06, 3000 miles, all fluids fine, run only good fuel, have not added any parts in the past year.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
You can bet it's an electrical connection. I've had this same problem on my 06 during a trip to Baja, and a friend did as well with his 03. These bikes are very sensitive to poor electrical connections. Start with the battery, even if they look good take them off and clean them really well. Event though you say they're clean, clean them again with a wire brush until they're shining. If that doesn't do it start looking at the other major connections such as at the FI unit.

The tach surging without an actual rise in RPM's is usually the telltale. Don't worry, it's nothing major.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

Thanks, I will get on it tomorrow after work. Any suggestions on how to clean connections i.e. contact cleaner or leave dry?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
frankiedakar
X MOTO-CROSSER

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by coferjm
I know many dont consider this the right place for a thumper however this is where I go for BMW issues, with that said:

Problem just started Saturday; all was well I stopped at a light and the bike died, would restart but would not idle. Rode for several more hours and the problem continued. Only other odd things was once the RPM gauge fluttered for a few minutes. Once home continued starting and letting it die, on about the 10th time idled fine. Sunday went out for a ride; yep....same problem.

Battery cables are tight and clean.
Always keep on a charger.
Refueled twice, added a little methonol "heet" for any water issues.

Any ideas? 06, 3000 miles, all fluids fine, run only good fuel, have not added any parts in the past year.
HI I have a 2003 Dakar. Mine was doing the same thing. It's a total guess, but take a look at the "KICKSTAND SAFTEY SWITCH". They are known to go bad...............
Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

I will look at that, thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
john3500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Cheap guesses. Might replace the main relay. It could be weak. The fluttering tach can indicate a intermittent loss of power to the system. Another possibility, on some coils ( I forget the technical design feature) a bad power input or shorting can cause them to fail until a full power down reset. Intermittent electrical problems are very difficult. A bad battery can be the culprit. Some FI systems shut off below a set voltage. rgds, john
john3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

Is a full power down reset something I can do?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
gonzomup
ChainGang Recidivist

Oddometer: 739
Have you asked over at Chain Gang or checked the FAQ's? Lots of info over there.
In short, don't be put off by F800GS reliability reports on the net, or any reliability reports on the net for that matter - a few posts get cross-referenced and before you know it, your electric toaster will kill us all on 31/12/99...
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
gonzomup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

I havent, but I will.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

checked out Chain Gang, thanks for the info: seems I am not alone and have a checklist to run.
I will post my findings.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
I would use a wire brush. The fluttering tach indicates that it's a power problem. I'd start with the most simple things and go down the list to eliminate them one by one. I doubt it's the kickstand switch because that shouldn't cause the tach to flutter. If you have a multimeter, use it to see if your battery if fully charged.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
coferjm OP
WLDCAT

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
frankiedakar
X MOTO-CROSSER

Oddometer: 54
yes he right ,,,,i doubt its the kickstand switch also. i misread your question. I was takin it , that the rpm's were fluttering. the way i figured out it was my kickstand switch, is that i put the the kickstand up and down in nuetral, while the engine was runing.... i have learned a great deal from the "chain gang".
Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #14
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
My 01 Dakar did the same thing. Next time it does it try this. Shut the ignition off and turn it on again. Mine ran like a watch each time after that. Three trips to the dealer couldnt fix mine. Their first reaction was "Well you probably arent pulling in the clutch fast enough". Yeah right! I did all that electrical connector stuff too. Didnt change a thing. If you can get a new (or known to be working) computer for the FI installed. Perhaps the VR is bad. Maybe whatever it is that makes the engine idle is screwed up. Test all the sensors. What youre gonna have to do is swap components. Added to the difficulty is the fact this is an intermittent problem. Good luck! Tell me what happens!

jigdog screwed with this post 01-16-2008 at 11:12 AM
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 487
You checked the battery cables, did you check the cables other end? When starting the bike did you wait until the temp sensor light went off?
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote