User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
IndyTim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Farkling report

Thought I'd keep this thread updated with "improvements". I'll post pics soon, once I get the bike cleaned up again.

Recent mods:

- installed 15t front sprocket. This makes a huge difference in the character of the bike. The stock 16t is just too tall IMO, and I was slipping the clutch constantly on rocky trails. Love the 15t, the bike now pulls off idle (almost). I don't notice that it's any more vibey at speed on the highway either, and as a bonus it's more in the powerband at the speeds I ride (72-75). All in all, a very worthwhile mod for my riding conditions.

Bike looks better with the 15T sprocket, eh?

- I put on Dunlop 908 Rally Raids front and rear. Rear is good, better at climbing rocky hills. Front not so good since it's a lot more floaty/twitchy at speed on the highway. I probably went a bit too aggressive on the front tire, and am looking for a more stable front. Got a Karoo 2 on order - we'll see if that helps. No thumbs for the tires, yet.

Good view of the rear knobs:

- Running the Wolfman Explorer Lite tankbag. Love it. Also "accidentally" ended up with a KTM tankbag, which surprisingly does not fit the bike as well as the Wolfman. Doesn't have the same feeling of overbuilt quality that the Woflman has, either, although it's a nice bag.

(Nice shot of the cool metallic orange paint here):

- Solved the toolbox problem by getting the Wolfman toolbag. I just wrapped up my existing KTM tools in the Wolfman bag, along with a few extras, and threw this and some tire irons in the tank bag. I'm good to go.

- Got the KTM tailbag. This is a great fit on the bike. Has three velcro straps that mate up exactly with the 3 tabs on the rear rack. I don't like how the bag is organized though. One center area with two side pockets, so the bag is split up and keeps you from putting anything large back there.

- I"m alternating the tailbag with the Touratech rear rack -- they don't play well together. Right now the rack is there since the tail bag makes it harder to get my leg over when dismounting.

- The biggest news of the day: got the Garmin Zumo. I love this thing! I got the 550 instead of the 450, thinking I would maybe use the bluetooth features at some point. (I'm getting techno-phobic in my old age -- had waaaaayyyy too many electronic whatnots crap out 1 day past their warranty. So I just prefer not to hassle with this shit, generally.) But the Garmin, well... It found my Motorola bluetooth headset no problem, lets me make cell calls. AND, I can also hook up my Shure SE420 earphones and play MP3 files. The Zumo cuts out the music to give me directions. Very, very nice and superior sound quality with the Shure noise cancelling 'phones.

- The Zumo is currently mounted to the handlebar using the included RAM mount. (Power is spliced in to the lines running to the accessory socket.) However, I've got the KTM roadbook rack and the Touratech MVG locking mount on order -- looking forward to getting those installed.

(EDIT: Switched to the TTech mount today):

- Also got the Akrapovich slip-on. I like it, and it's not too loud. Got a nice crackle now when I get on the power, but if I stay off the power the sound level is fine. The slip-on definitely increases power -- a quick roll-on of the throttle brings the front end up, right now.

- Had the poly skidplate on, thought the stock aluminum too loud. However, dug deep into the ol' wallet to shell out 7 bucks for the foam, and installed that with the old stock aluminum skidplate tonight. Voila! Noise problem solved, and now I've got real protection again.

- And, last but not least, ordered and installed the Euro lowbeam headlight tonight. (Thought I would try the low-beam first, at 80 bucks or so. The high-beam is, like, $160 or so.). MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. The light is much whiter than the stock light, and gives a very nicely spread pattern of illumination, without being so dramatically clipped. And it's brighter too. WHY IS OUR GOVERNMENT TYRING TO KILL US BY MANDATING THESE CRAPPY LIGHTS??????? Anyway, for the Euro headlight.

"I didn't know where I was going but I knew it was somewhere..." -- Mr. Steward
-----------
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2000 KTM 380 EXC
2006 Kawasaki KLR300R

IndyTim screwed with this post 11-20-2007 at 06:27 PM
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #17
SpringOly
Old Swede

Oddometer: 188
Hi IndyTim,

Do you have a part # for this?

Thanks!

- And, last but not least, ordered and installed the Euro lowbeam headlight tonight. (Thought I would try the low-beam first, at 80 bucks or so. The high-beam is, like, $160 or so.). MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. The light is much whiter than the stock light, and gives a very nicely spread pattern of illumination, without being so dramatically clipped. And it's brighter too. WHY IS OUR GOVERNMENT TYRING TO KILL US BY MANDATING THESE CRAPPY LIGHTS??????? Anyway, for the Euro headlight.[/quote]
SpringOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #18
IndyTim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
The part number for the Euro lowbeam is 58311010000 "Headlight Low Beam Duke '94".

"I didn't know where I was going but I knew it was somewhere..." -- Mr. Steward
-----------
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2000 KTM 380 EXC
2006 Kawasaki KLR300R
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #19
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Does the Euro headlight consume any more wattage?

I need to fix two problems with my 07: Not nearly enough light output, plus not nearly enough alternator output. I'm guessing I could solve both problems by using HID lamps but there doesn't seem to be any drop-in replacement. Did you look into this option?

Jeff
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #20
SpringOly
Old Swede

Oddometer: 188
Thanks IndyTim!

I'm gonna check it out!

SpringOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #21
joekanter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Congrats on the bew baby-

-Master Tim. Sweat bike you got there. Nice options as well. I'm hoping my new baby will be here soon (07 Adv). Just waiting for the bank to finance the conception. LOL.
joekanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,008
Make a tool box out of a stick welding electrode holder.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g?t=1195677691

You can see mine sticking out of the side panel on the oppisite side of the nuffler.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #23
losiu
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 577
The black rims rock on the Adventure.
I WANT ONE TOO !!!!!!

Cool bike, IndyTim.

Losiu
losiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #24
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,988
The tank bag seats perfect. Thanks for posting the picture. I'll get myself one too.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote