ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
SilverFaux OP
never satisfied

Oddometer: 134
CA108 to CA120/Yosemite on Fire roads - Possible?

Just wanted to know if anyone has done CA108 to CA120/Yosemite on fire roads only. Is it possible?

I'm a complete dirt newb but wanted to take a real worthwhile trip before summer is out.

I'll be riding my Dad's (RIP) 82' Suzuki DR125. New knobbies, rebuilt carb, fresh oil and ready to come off of non-op. I figured if I stay on fire roads it should be pretty drama free.

I'm an experienced slabber who really needs to see how the other half lives! I'm also looking at dropping the dime on a decent adventure bike in the next year or so and this experience surely couldn't hurt.

Your Wisdom is appreciated!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Pretty sure there is the issue might be what is actually open from last years fire season. Last time I was up on 120 near YNP, tons of land had been closed due to fire damage.
The Forest Road that I know of takes off from Forretti Rd just outside of Groveland. Think it is designated 1n10, but I have never ridden to 108, although pretty sure some folks here have
Hope that helps!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 458
If the 108 to 120 doesn't work out there are some nice routes between 4 and 108.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I have ridden from Groveland (120) to Cherry Lake on Fire roads and then pavement to 108 in Sonora. Nice ride nothing difficult. I believe you ride fire roads from Cherry Lake to Long Barn if you map it out.
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
It has been about a month since I've been up on Hwy 120, but the forest roads were still closed from last year's fire.

There is another fire burning in that area now, which prevents accessing Yosemite Valley from Hwy 120. Currently, you can still cross Tioga Pass, but you should check road conditions before you go.

Quote:
Originally posted by DRGNHTR
If the 108 to 120 doesn't work out there are some nice routes between 4 and 108.
I was going to suggest the same. If you wanted to extend that, you could cross one of the Sierra passes in combination with the ride through Hell's Half Acre. For example: go up Hwy 108 and make a left at the Beardsley Res. turn off, through Hell's Half Acre to Hwy 4. Go up and over Hwy 4 (Ebbett's Pass) and come back over Hwy 108.

There are also some good riding opportunities along the Hwy 4 corridor, such as the Slick Rock Trail at Lake Alpine, or the forest roads near Arnold.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
SilverFaux OP
never satisfied

Oddometer: 134
Thanks!

Those are all great ideas thanks for the advice. If anyone is interested in a noob ride when I go, just let me know. I'll keep ya in the loop.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFaux View Post
Those are all great ideas thanks for the advice. If anyone is interested in a noob ride when I go, just let me know. I'll keep ya in the loop.
Speaking of noob rides; have you seen this?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988954
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Possable before the Rim Fire-I have done it.The area is supposed to be closed until the clean-up logging is done.
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
[QUOTE=SilverFaux;24705887]Just wanted to know if anyone has done CA108 to CA120/Yosemite on fire roads only. Is it possible? /QUOTE]

That would be Route 3 of the Statewide Motorized Trail System which is the same as the Pacific Crest Quest.

GPS Tracks are available on http://www.gpsxchange.com/
Old 07-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
It is possible to do on fire roads. It is very unlikely that you can do it this year, because of a 250,000 acre fire has closed the roads until further notice.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/stanis...telprdb5433438