ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #61
PlatedDirtBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post

Oh and random trailer rant speaking of taking it to dealer, WTF is up with the nonsensical 55mph trailer limit in CA? I bought a Kendon trailer precisely so I would be able to transport with ease, drove 80mph across the country with no issues, then get to CA on I-15 welcomed by all these crazy signs about a rolling roadblock speed limit enforced for trailers... Notice no one seems to follow it, but played it safe (at least I thought so) and set the cruise to 62mph... Was 10miles from new home and got pulled over and given a $750 ticket for speeding and not traveling in most right lane. CHP officer was a rotten human being, extremely hostile for no reason, and not interested in my explanation that I needed to merge left in 1mile from 210 to Ventura fwy (same fine for 'speeding' at 62mph with trailer in 75mph traffic as going over 100mph!!!???).

Between the discovery my new 1190 was eating dirt with no great options to take it to, the 100%BS $$$ fine, and the realization using a trailer is untenable in CA, this has been a really crappy first couple days here.
I pull a toyhauler here in CA a lot. A couple pointers that may not be apparent to those originally from free states. You may know this, but here it is...
1> Stay in the slow lane, that's the far right lane , unless passing. If the freeway is at least four lanes wide and traffic is merging onto the freeway, you can roll in the lane next to the slow lane. That's the law. Three lanes wide means slow lane except to pass. Nothing says "Bust Me!" like pulling a trailer in the fast lane or the one next to it. Not to mention pissing off the locals like me trying to get to work.
2> Drive the speed of the truckers. Roll and hide with the herd. They're usually rolling 65 anyway.
3> Be nice to the popo. A smile and respectfull manners will save ya hundreds of dollars!
God, guns and guts. KTM 500 EXC, BMW F 650 GS (800), YAMMY 225 XT & TTR 125. Proverbs 25:24 Shut up and Ride!
PlatedDirtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #62
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatedDirtBike View Post
I pull a toyhauler here in CA a lot. A couple pointers that may not be apparent to those originally from free states. You may know this, but here it is...
1> Stay in the slow lane, that's the far right lane , unless passing. If the freeway is at least four lanes wide and traffic is merging onto the freeway, you can roll in the lane next to the slow lane. That's the law. Three lanes wide means slow lane except to pass. Nothing says "Bust Me!" like pulling a trailer in the fast lane or the one next to it. Not to mention pissing off the locals like me trying to get to work.
2> Drive the speed of the truckers. Roll and hide with the herd. They're usually rolling 65 anyway.
3> Be nice to the popo. A smile and respectfull manners will save ya hundreds of dollars!
+1 ,20 plus years Cali towing RV +22' car hauler , pulled over once and warned 62mph ok ,65 ticket.flow with the big rigs....they be knowing
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #63
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,716
I hate, hate, hate to have anyone work on my bike, with the notable exception of Chris Parker (a client).

However.

I recently experienced a very pesky electrical issue. Intermittent, as they tend to be, and elusive. I knew damn good and well it was a worn spot somewhere, grounding out and popping the fuse, but the bike would go for months- 8000 miles- before blowing the fuse again. Last time it was ascending the pass near Animas Forks. Tore the bike apart on the side of the trail trying to find the problem, but couldn't. Replaced the fuse the 5th time (after a lift from a fellow inmate into Durango) and it held until I got home. Clearly I needed a second set of eyes on the problem.

I have a KTM dealer within 1/2 mile of my home. I could damn near roll a bowling ball down the hill there and it would stop in their parking lot. They are a very hip kinda place, offer Ducatis, etc- lots of bearded hipsters. I know the owner and his family- great folks. I really, really want to be their customer.

But I take my bike (and bought my 500) from All American KTM in Ramona because they seem to actually WANT my business. RJ actually tries to help with issues and research- when I bought my 990 (used) he was instrumental in researching that bike and finally encouraging me to buy it- and not from him.

Yes, as with all dealerships, there are unsatisfied customers and/or bad experiences. Those suck, too. But he, unlike the guys downhill, don't blast their pride of indifference. Of course, I might just be an ass and they don't want me there (that's what they act like)- you'll have to decide that for yourself.

Nevertheless, I held my nose tightly and dropped my bike off in Ramona- about 45 minutes away from my home. They made special arrangements so I could drop it safely on July 4th, when they were closed. I wanted them to FIND THE ISSUE, not just make the bike run- it was running fine.

And they did. The found the worn wire, duplicated the fuse blowing, and have made the repair. I've not yet retrieved the bike, but suffice to say I'm very pleased with their service. Because I'm lazy and no-good, I had them adjust the valves and replace the waterpump while it was there.

Great guys, and I'll go back.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #64
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayes View Post
You tear down your bike take it to the Mall to have them do a compression test ?
Uhm, no. The the exact opposite as I explicitly stated; a leakdown test. I am blowing oil out the CCV and know the engine ate some dirt, so a comp test would not tell me much. I want to know if the engine is losing pressure and if so where, much better info than simply how much pressure it can generate.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #65
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 452
Like most of us I detest the atmosphere of the big stores ,grew up in a different time out of the 50 or so bikes my family has owned not one has ever seen a strange wrench on them. To me working on them is part of the game .I do know that if you show loyalty to a shop they will repay you. I have been dealing with the Mall since the 60s Have a very good discount can order parts over the phone without paying up front which is great seeing that I live 70 mi away If someone choses to have shop turn the wrenches so be it Bring them a clean complete motorcycle so they can do their job to the best of their ability .Don't tell them that you read it on the internet and take it apart because you don't trust them
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #66
slidewayes
slidewayes

So you build the p.s.i. and see where it go's
Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #67
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So you build the p.s.i. and see where it go's
Yes... except you don't build it, you charge it with compressed air.

Comp test measures the engine's ability to generate pressure. Leakdown measures its ability to hold pressure. Both will tell you if your engine is shot if that is all you want to know, but leakdown is more useful for diagnosis, and offers a bit more precision in measuring how hosed it is.

With leakdown you will charge the cylinder to X psi and measure the pressure loss over Y time. If the damage is there you can often isolate where by finding the leak.

In hindsight to your point about doing it yourself, I probably should have just bought a basic leakdown testing setup and then taken it to the dealer if I confirmed I had an issue for warranty claim but I want to get my bike to healthy state ASAP. Since I just moved all my stuff is still packed in boxes and the garage is a mess so I wasn't really in DIY mode and was working with only the KTM tool kit outdoors.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #68
PlatedDirtBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
LBring them a clean complete motorcycle so they can do their job to the best of their ability .Don't tell them that you read it on the internet and take it apart because you don't trust them
That's what one would think. I'm glad to see not everyone gets jacked. But I've bought 3 bikes from the same dealer, all at different times. I got seriously jacked on purchase #3. Was it partially my fault? I guess maybe so but I expected to be treated well due to my history with them. I wasn't. The bottom line is the big places don't care about loyalty unless you know the owner. You're just a number.
Walk into the Mall and price some things. Bikes, parts, etc. They will gladly take your money at Above Retail prices. Whether it be a mom and pop garage or a giant retailer, price gouge and people go elsewhere. The only thing that keeps The Mall alive is having a large selection and the uninformed buyer.
With all honesty though and in fairness, I never had any service done by them.
God, guns and guts. KTM 500 EXC, BMW F 650 GS (800), YAMMY 225 XT & TTR 125. Proverbs 25:24 Shut up and Ride!
PlatedDirtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 562
All American KTM in Ramona. Small shop. Awesome service. Worth the drive!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #70
slidewayes
slidewayes

What was the outcome
Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #71
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
I've had the guys at Inside Line Moto do work on my KTM's and Lior at Liors motoride do work on my BMW. You can't go wrong with either shop. Good guys, great work and fair pricing.
Tim and Matt (Inside Line Moto) are both solid guys. I have never had any work done by them. But a lot of the district 37 guys have had KTM's done that are very satisfied.

Another option is Mach 1 Motorcycles. http://mach1ca.com/ I personally know Long. He and his crew do nothing but top notch work on any sport bike, adventure bike, and anything in between. I had my Ninja valves adjusted and dyno tuned. Proof is in the work. Look at the results of a good dyno tune. I regret selling that bike. He has a full service shop that can do any kind of motor or chassis work from stock to full blown race machine.

2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #72
jnyrav
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Three Bros in Costa Mesa
Ask for Rod.
40+ years experience working on bikes
jnyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #73
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What was the outcome
If directed at me... Leaktest was good. 1% in both front and rear cyl.

No issues at all with Burt's, in fact I would call it good from my experience.