User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 01:00 AM   #1
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 171
LED Headlight Guards - Heat Issue???

When these LED headlights were first introduced and everyone was coming out with these lexan guards there was some concern about the heat generated by the LED lights and whether they could "breathe" adequately with the lexan type guards in place. Any body know of any issues? I found a really nice looking guard R&G http://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-h...13-14?___SID=U

Just wondering if the heat build up is an issue with these or not?

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:47 AM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,582
For that price you can get the Touratech combo guard that includes both mesh and plastic swappable shields.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...n-Water-Cooled

Have not seen any posts of heat related issues due to the guards.
Even the laminates attached direct to the headlight such as xpel and 3M do not seem to be causing heat issues.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post Today at 01:53 AM
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #3
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,052
I have not heard of any heat related issues about the LED lamp and guards either, although now I'm certain that someone will come along and debunk this.
I bought the Altrider guard, they make it in two version, one that blocks the lower heat-sink/fan unit and one that does not, I bought the guard that does not block the opening for the heat-sink just to satisfy the anal retentive within.
Old Today, 11:10 AM   #4
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 171
Thanks for the input guys. Even though it seems like a valid concern, I hadn't seen anything on it either. Regarding the Touratech - I really don't need the steel mesh and my real concern is for cleaning. We have a LOT of bugs out here and all the washing and scraping eventually scratch the glass. I want something that I can wash without worrying about scratching and I have to admit the real reason I like the R&G is because it looks BADASS. I am all about functionality but it you can get functionality and BADASSITUDE at the same time... case closed.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #5
GeorgeKingGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Even though it seems like a valid concern, I hadn't seen anything on it either. Regarding the Touratech - I really don't need the steel mesh and my real concern is for cleaning. We have a LOT of bugs out here and all the washing and scraping eventually scratch the glass. I want something that I can wash without worrying about scratching and I have to admit the real reason I like the R&G is because it looks BADASS. I am all about functionality but it you can get functionality and BADASSITUDE at the same time... case closed.

If your goal is insect protection then do what I did and put a layer of paint protection film over the headlight lens. Simple protection that looks good and doesn't influence light pattern.
GeorgeKingGeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #6
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,015
it does look like it blocks the airflow to the lower fins on the head light. I Like my SWmotech headlight guard, but someone posted a bad review on Twisted. "it don't fit my bike" means you bought the wrong one? It fit my LED headlight perfect.