Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
TaperOne OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Have I popped my ECU?

Greetings All,

I have a 2004 60k GSA which I purchased from a mate about 10 months ago.
Anyway, L/H throttle body was knocking like crazy so rebuilt both throttle bodies using Carta Dan kits and set up the stop screws using the great info that Roger 04 rt posted up (cheers Roger). Well this all went very well and had perfect balance throughout the rev range. Went up the pub that night really happy.
Next morning I fitted everything and finished off ready for a test ride. It was a bit of a pig to start and whilst I was letting it warm up I noticed that the bike did not sound right and there was no oil temp gauge. Also noticed that I had left the two wires that I used to measure the TPS voltage hanging in mid air.
So I stopped the engine, removed the wires and ran a diagnostic using GS-911 and it showed that the TPS, Oil Temp and Air temp were shorted or open circuit.
Tried to clear the faults but they would not clear. After much checking and tracing of wires I have found that these three components share a common 5 volt feed from the ECU.
I have checked for broken wires and resistance readings on the components and all seems well. My concern is that I may have shorted one of the wires that I was using to measure the TPS voltage and popped the ECU. The bike runs but is obviously in limp mode and the GS-911 shows no movement on the TPS and the oil and air temps are stuck on 60c and 20c respectively.
Could I have popped my ECU or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Cheers
Pete
TaperOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Jim H
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Pete - just saw your post - did you check your fuse #5?
If you haven't found a fix yet, suggest you PM Roger for his input. I doubt he has seen this post.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
MassiveLee
Banned

Oddometer: 1,613
I would pull the connector off the TPS and see what happens on the GS911. Maybe the TPS is shorted. If you have used tinsels and a DVM to set the TPS, it is possible a tinsel is still caught there and shorting two pins.
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
TaperOne OP
n00b

HI,

thanks for the replies. However, I seem to have managed to post this problem twice. There has been a few suggestions and developments in my other post here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074050

The outcome was that I had indeed 'popped' my ECU. The track on the underside of the board from pin 22 had burnt off and broken.
I am pleased to say that restoring the track with some jumpering wire has restored my ECU to its former glory and everything is back to normal.
So, a cautionary tale. When measuring your TPS voltage using 'tinsel' or jumpering wire. DON'T SHORT THEM in any way or form, especially in the plug like this numpty did and took many hours of diagnosis.

Saves me the price of a replacement ECU

cheers

Pete
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 10,840
Well, I'm happy for you there in the UK that you were able to repair your ECU and restore performance.

Me? Personally, I haven't had much success with the electrics on British motorcycles having come from the late 50s and early 60s Brit bikes like Triumphs (positive ground....what's that about?) BSAs and others.

And what's the 240VAC, 50 Hz mains thing?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 18,210
Very interesting Pete.

I have left the tinsel wires in my 1100gs since 2009 or so, I do sometimes take care to make sure they arent shorting on the bail clip for the tps connector. I guess I should take more pre-caution!

great diag and fix, I wish the guys in the "Fear of FI" thread would read a few more stories like this.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
TaperOne OP
n00b

Here are a couple of photos, one showing the damage, one showing the repair
Diagnosis was supported by other members (thanks all)
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
TaperOne OP
n00b

OK, one picture at a time it seems.
Repair
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,371
Good job. Why did we end up with two threads: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...#post27036250?
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote