Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #286
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 846

Bush Pilot, that looks great. Why don't they let you all ride on the elevated highways? Great looking side cases. thanks for contributing.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #287
zarly
Action Pants!

Oddometer: 342
+1 on both counts. Nice cases, and why aren't you allowed on the elevated highways? Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyGS
Bush Pilot, that looks great. Why don't they let you all ride on the elevated highways? Great looking side cases. thanks for contributing.

Victoria, BC
Canada
zarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #288
PaperBoy
Dig that Crazy Beak

Oddometer: 341
Old Beak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
One more:
Paperboy, Hi!
Just out of curiosity, do you still happen to have the original 1100 beak?
Liz
Hi back at you MsLiz,

Yes, I still have the original beak in all its white glory and the silver trim parts.

PaperBoy
BMWMOA #142415
Valley BMW Riders member "Bigfoot"
PaperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #289
inspector54
Just Looking............

Oddometer: 46
Handles

MsLizVT the handles are from the hardware store, door handle of some sort,
their coated galvanized steel. They were put on by the PO and I didn't care for them but they come in handy moving this beast around....
inspector54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #290
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289

Race Ready!
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #291
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Why don't they let you all ride on the elevated highways?
I suppose they're afraid of having the system swamped with a gazillion slower moving scooters. And of course the toll booths complicate things. They just didn't design the system with bikes in mind!

I was just visiting Penang, Malaysia on the GS and they have a very civilized system for bikes on the toll roads and bridges with separate bike toll areas and separate bike lanes. Very motorbike friendly I thought!

Bangkok traffic is like an insane wild west circus show! But you kind off get used to after a while and learn to avoid the rough bits and bad times of day. More often than not I opt to take a motorbike taxi around town rather than do battle on the GS.
Also the cops in Bangkok see a foreigner on a big bike as an easy mark for a little "tea money". It's only a couple bucks here an there, it's just really annoying to have them waving at you all the time. I usually don't stop if I can avoid it! It a bit of a game for them! They laugh about it!
That only happens in Bangkok. All the rest of Thailand no one bugs you.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #292
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
This is my 1995. Kind of an interesting story. I bought her in 07/2007 to take to Alaska in 08. Of course it didn't work out with all the headaches
at work. Then again in 09 it was obvious I would not be able to leave for a month. So in December of 2008 I decided to sell her since Alaska was a couple years out. A young man from Little Rock bought it and I delivered it the week after Christmas. I regretted it every day. I kept looking at other bikes, really wanted a 1150 but didn't buy since I still can't make a trip to alaska work. On a whim I emailed the guy this past Thanksgiving to see how he was getting along with her. He said it was really too tall form him and he had only put 800 miles on the bike in a year. I asked if he'd sell it back and he agreed. I picked it up about 5 days after the anniversary of delivering it. Two pictures. One on the traile coming home.......
and one after I took off the GIVI trunk, switched the screen to a parabellum and added GSA type decals on the trunk. She has Ohlins, Piaa lights touratech gel seat and only 36K miles. Runs perfect.
[IMG]attachment.php?attachmentid=228102&stc=1&d=1269613123[/IMG]

and it's on a trailer. Not the best setting. Nice bike. Shame on you.
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #293
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 846
bike

nothing worse than seeing a gs on a trailer. It was freezing rain that weekend and I couldn't wait another minute to get her back home. Note pic two is in the back yard freshly ridden. She is a beauty......

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #294
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,600
Just curious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBoy
Hi back at you MsLiz,

Yes, I still have the original beak in all its white glory and the silver trim parts.

PaperBoy

Paperboy, Hi!

I know this is a bit off topic, but what else did you have to change out when you swapped beaks?

Thanks!

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #295
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,600
Easy to find ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector54
MsLizVT the handles are from the hardware store, door handle of some sort,
their coated galvanized steel. They were put on by the PO and I didn't care for them but they come in handy moving this beast around....
Inspector54, Hi!

Ahhhh, handles like the ones on a barn door or something. Thanks! I'll check out my local hardware store.

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #296
PaperBoy
Dig that Crazy Beak

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt

Paperboy, Hi!
I know this is a bit off topic, but what else did you have to change out when you swapped beaks?
Thanks!
Liz
Perhaps the biggest difference is the new beak is one piece, while the old one is the plastic beak and the silver trim pieces on the sides.

You need both the R1150GS beak and the two rubber bits that transition between the beak and tank. These are different than those for the R1100GS. I made a rectangular mounting plate of thin steel sheet that looks like a shelf when mounted in the original beak mounting points below the oil cooler. This has four holes, two to mount the plate in the original beak's position and two to mount the new beak in its center mounting points. Then I made two Z shaped brackets for the rear mounts as the new beak's rear mounts are somewhat lower and forward of the old beaks. I made these from thin narrow bar steel. Lastly, I made two other brackets to move the turn indicator light stalks rearward and more outbound. Of course these are kind of Z-shaped as well but much longer I used aluminum flatbar for these. I believe some people just drill holes in the new beak to keep the indicators in the same location. This would leave holes in the sides for the R1150GS that aren't used, but you could maybe install aux lights there or cover with some mesh or something. Sorry, I think I've written this about ten times now and this is the shortest version yet. Anyway nothing else changed, just new rubbers and mounting points for beak and indicator lights.
BMWMOA #142415
Valley BMW Riders member "Bigfoot"
PaperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #297
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
R1100GS addiction

My 3 GS, one for the parade, one for offroad, and one to take my mother in law out.
I bought all three used during the past 6 years, and with all the farkles I have added, including the Ural chair, I even not get close to the price of a brand new R1200GSA

twintwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #298
TheVikingRider
mudonmymind

Oddometer: 455
Almost bought this 1100gs but found a great deal on a 1150, seems like a great deal and thought someone might want it. Its in north Georgia.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/1648118935.html
Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #299
treynolds
R1100GS Commuter

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Rider 7
Almost bought this 1100gs but found a great deal on a 1150, seems like a great deal and thought someone might want it. Its in north Georgia.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/1648118935.html
That is a dyno-mite deal. It has the bags and Aero-Flow windshield/half-fairing. Nice shape by the looks of it.

Somebody snap that puppy up!
treynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #300
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,096
Here is my new to me 99

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote