User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #31
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,096
My profile pic.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:36 AM   #32
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Pearl

Here's Pearl, not new, but new to me (got her with only 18k miles). What a fun motorcycle!
Attached Images

Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #33
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,457
And I still think it is the best of the GS's.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #34
S2W
I said wax ON you idiot!

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways
And I still think it is the best of the GS's.

I see your using the BMW system cases. People say the panniers themselves and their mounting rails vibrate apart on the gravel.

Had any problems or perhaps thats only something that occurs over here in Australia with our long distances and bad corrugations.

Just wondering
Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #35
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie2wheels
I see your using the BMW system cases. People say the panniers themselves and their mounting rails vibrate apart on the gravel.

Had any problems or perhaps thats only something that occurs over here in Australia with our long distances and bad corrugations.

Just wondering
Mine have held up nicely. The trip up the Dempster is 1000 miles to Inuvik and back plus I have done a lot of gravel roads throughout Canada and Alaska over the years.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #36
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Now that GS's that suck got unsticky'd, it's only fit for each model to get its own pic thread.

I'll start.

Yeah, we should eventually switch out to Old School :-)

The R12GS and new kid on the block F8GS taking the masses...

Here's my RatBikeBumbleBee in action...

And of course in its more natural Habitat:

If you ride a lot thre's no time for cleaning :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #37
Bruce Caldwell
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
[IMG][/IMG]

My 99 bought new in 2000. Only 60k on it but haven't had any major trouble yet. Never have kept a bike this long before & plan on keeping it till death do us part.

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #38
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Yeah, we should eventually switch out to Old School :-)

The R12GS and new kid on the block F8GS taking the masses...

Here's my RatBikeBumbleBee in action...

And of course in its more natural Habitat:

If you ride a lot thre's no time for cleaning :-)

For some reason, i think thats a really cool version of the bike. Can you upload some more pics?? Looks alot like the hp2, but honestly yours looks better.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 AM   #39
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Eh? The story of the R3B , or how a bike has 9 lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
For some reason, i think thats a really cool version of the bike. Can you upload some more pics?? Looks alot like the hp2, but honestly yours looks better.

Okay it's quite a long story, but perhaps it will inspire others to tell them long stories also about the transformation of their respective rides :-)

Well lets start with the Fairytail :-)
It al started verry long ago in a land under the sea, when I met my princess riding her 1995 R11GS Bumblebee, and me riding my XT.

We write the year 1997, a good year for the roses, and we fell in love which eventually resulted in a sort of motorcycling marriage of two kindred spirits, still traveling the world :-)

She named her bike BumbleBee after that little lardy insect whose able to fly witstanding all laws of aerodynamics, ilkewise the GS witstands all laws of Offroading (and style :-)

I was an old fart in Offroading on my XT riding knobbies all my life

And so after a few trips through the mud, she bought some Knobbies for her ride too (TKC80's) but alas in the rain it's a tricky tire, and the first time she rode in the rain she flew out of a highway ramp (a ramp (dutch for disaster) it was) so the salvage people who tore it away under the guidingrail made it into a chopper, which isn't my style so to say

So after she got a new one of the ensurance, i bought the remains and got to work, putting away the lardy beak construction, and very heavy rack and tool drawer, original exhaust and stripping it of the really annoying ABS, which made it about 6 stones lighter :-)

The first guise of the R3B (Rat Bike Bumble Bee 1R 3B's )
Made with pieces lying around in my personal scrapyard, a headlamp of a German SR500 (XS11) a Guzzi Californian buddyseat and aecerbis crossfender

A few moths later a good friend of ours sayd he was going to "compete" in the Transdanubia with his GS, i thought that would be a shame to ruin his pritty red GS, so I proposed him to lend the R3B, he agreed, and we transformed it into a ralleyworthy aparatus, stripping off the heavy headlamp (would be a shame to crash that one (which a did myself later on...)

And putting on plastic bodywork for the numberplates (CR250 stuff) a light aecerbis headlight, and some automobile auxillary lensbeams in the holes where the beak once found its foundation, i'm still a bit cross about BMW never wiring the patent money for that invention which they stole for their Adventure ! :-)
So once in its lifetime it was even more than 6 stones lighter than an original

He did his stinking best to get it some Ralley-patina

So when i got it back it looked like this, beware of lending your bike !!!

It was all worth it, making a man as happy as he can be :-)
Still it was Quite a shock :-)

And me being somewhat Eric Idle-ish gave it another overhaul putting back the lamp, and giving it a handy toolchest:

Putting back the lardy lamp sure as hell got it stuck in the Yorkshire moors

And now we live in the rural south of the netherlands it has got a towing hook so it can tow a trailer (or trialer?) to get over the limiting factor of not having a car to haul lots of groceries and trialbikes around.

About the technical side of the makeover:
I replaced the humongeous oilcooler in the first makeover in 1997 with one of a R11R placed under the headstock.

The first engine ran 400.000 with this setup until 2004, and at the end it consumed only 1 litre oil in 8000 km, so the engine is really rock solid, i stripped it, because i could not believe the timing chains could run much longer, but the the garage said that if i exchanged the cups and cam which were really pitted it could run for another 100.000 but then the main bearings should be overhauled.

That being a costly operation (and putting together the engine again costing a lot of time too) i opted for a RT engine they had lying around after a big crash of one of their customers only run 45K and costing 800€... So if you want a bike that serves you a troublefree lifetime get an old R11GS from the year 1996 :-)

In 1997 the factory cut some corners in quality management, like replacing nice RVS clamps with cheap Ty-Raps and putting silly rubbers in the tranny taking away any feel and mushing up fast clutchless gearchanges.

In all the years it has consumed 2 clutches one in the beginning at 90K and one at 400K (that time i opted for the Touratech, being indestructable and whith real transparent feel (but give it some extra slack to get a wider working area, standard its got real short travel...)) and one tranny at 80K, when 3rd gear popped out regularly by worn out dogs...
(typical problem of the 1995 and earlier builds)

Well, it's become quite a story, but hey every bike has a story, for now this concludes the histor of the R3B one of the first real Off-Roadable R11GS's inspiration for lots to come.

Please share the story of your Bike!
And make this a real threadfest of special R11GS biographies.

Satisfied with the pictures for now?

Or do you want still more?

P.S. hey mister Diess when do i get my reward for the inspiration of the Adventure lighting system?
(some licence fee would be nice now i think about the stunning similarities and your remark about the HP2, this being the original fourvalve HP1 :-)

Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #40
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Well, it's become quite a story, but hey every bike has a story, for now this concludes the histor of the R3B one of the first real Off-Roadable R11GS's inspiration for lots to come.
Absolutely fascinating.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #41
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Absolutely fascinating.
Well come on tell us your story...

BTW, dear Moderators, why isn't this thread a Sticky, and were is the 1150 version?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #42
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,573
With only 41 posts over 5 days it needs a bit more girth. AND it isn't the only 1100 GS thread of this type.

As for an 1150 only thread they also exist. Seek and you'll find.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #43
Teager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Grand Tetons heading to the Canadian Rockies.
Teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 AM   #44
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
With only 41 posts over 5 days it needs a bit more girth. AND it isn't the only 1100 GS thread of this type.

As for an 1150 only thread they also exist. Seek and you'll find.

JJ
That's just what i ment (sorry for my dutchlish)

There are lots of loose threads lying around, so every once in a wile someone starts another...

Its something like the garage catch22, if its hard to be found in the overwhelming traffic of our ever expanding adventurerideruniverse, it will eventually get lost, and started over again...

Thats why i thought of a sticky, so you'll get a broad sammelsorium of one specific bike, were one can get inspration for own projects, especcially with so much dull standard bike riding around and around the world ;-)

Perhaps i'm to much of an organiser, but i think it would evenly have a efficiency bonus for the moderators, less need for threadfests mergers, don't you think so?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #45
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
That's just what i ment (sorry for my dutchlish)

There are lots of loose threads lying around, so every once in a wile someone starts another...

Its something like the garage catch22, if its hard to be found in the overwhelming traffic of our ever expanding adventurerideruniverse, it will eventually get lost, and started over again...

Thats why i thought of a sticky, so you'll get a broad sammelsorium of one specific bike, were one can get inspration for own projects, especcially with so much dull standard bike riding around and around the world ;-)

Perhaps i'm to much of an organiser, but i think it would evenly have a efficiency bonus for the moderators, less need for threadfests mergers, don't you think so?
R3B,
I think you're onto something here. Good idea

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote