Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #916
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
What's the tank bag and GPS on the '98?
PJ - tankbag is the (SW Motech) Bags Connection "City" bag. First trip with it and it's working well. No issues on rough offroad usage so far. The larger version was just too big for regular use for me. Easy on/off except when seated on the bike and then it's a bit fiddly for me but I've only used it 4 days now and have been in a rush each time. Good bag so far - only complaint might be that such a big section of the interior space is lost due to the mounting block area but I think it's a keeper.

GPS is the Montana 600 - it's new and making it's second maiden voyage.

One note is that the Bags Connection bags sit far forward, and combined with my 1.5" bar risers I couldn't use the TT locking cradle on the cross bar. I ended up buying a cross bar mount from Gadget Guy, redrilling it to accept the TT hole spacing and it moved the mount forward about 2-3 inches. It clears the bag now, but sits too high and blocks the instrument panel. I may switch to Rox Risers and push the bars forward more, allowing the TT mount to fit (maybe) or seek another mount solution that would place the TT mount somewhat down between the cross bar and risers.

LoneStar screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:53 PM
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #917
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 301
It is hard to find the ultimate tank bag. Most have too small of a map pocket for me. You'd think a manufacturer would take a standard map and try to stuff it in the map pocket with a visible area large enough to read for a distance of at least a tank of gas. If you double the folded area of a AAA map, that would be ideal.

I've got a Wolfman Explorer Lite. The interior is about right, but I wish I had a larger map pocket. A Giant Loop Fandango is right for my Xchallenge (like to stand without the bag interfering), but the map needs changing too frequently.

OK, enough whining. Good looking bikes, all of them! Built to ride.

Edit: found a great-sized map pocket on the RKA tank bags. Twice as wide as a AAA map.

ridepjride screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 09:47 PM
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #918
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,206
Ditto on the map pouch - had a Wolfman Rainier previously and got so pissed about the map pouch being just a 1/2" too small to get a standard map opened to two panels in. I sent a bitchy email asking if they EVER actually used their tank bags or if they just designed them from a cushy recliner. I had to get a seamstress to make me a bigger map pouch for it. Then sold it on principle

BTW did I mention how AWESOME LOOKING THE PICS OF R1100GS's ARE???!!!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #919
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
hey guys,

I have the hepco & becker top crashbar for the 1100gs to let go.it's in matt black.

yours for $140.Giving you guys a headstart before putting it in fleamart.

Oh,so shipping from Singapore.so you have to be prepared for the cost.
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #920
Graminal95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
First Real Ride of the season

On a normal road in NH.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #921
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graminal95 View Post
On a normal road in NH.

Very nice headlight/beak setup!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #922
PaperBoy
Dig that Crazy Beak

Oddometer: 341
There's wisdom in those eyes and beak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarling View Post
Very nice headlight/beak setup!
A very wise looking GS
BMWMOA #142415
Valley BMW Riders member "Bigfoot"
PaperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #923
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 708
Laugh Drool thread

I have one!

Never thought I would actually. Back in '05 I rode that year's Multistrada, GS and Tiger; chose the Tiger because it bested the others in price, weight and horsepower. I never regretted it. But today I can't afford a long-haul dual-sport-ish in that generation, and weeks of Ebay, Adv and Craigslist brought me to my new crush: ST. ( = SchwarzerTier.) Look how awesome he is!

(Confession: I'm only up to page 45 of this thread. But I'm working on it, I promise. Quickly, too.)

So here's what we got:

I'm the 5th owner of this 1996 R1100GS. It has 66k miles on the clock. The engine and transmission feel great; I've owned it since Sunday (that's three days now) and ridden highway and street, and it feels sound. I don't know much about it. Came with no repair records, but claims of transmission replaced at 45k. PO indicates everything was just flushed and filled, trans, rear end, motor oil, valves done within the last 500 miles. We have older, possibly Touratech? crash bars and little LEDs mounted on them (wired to ignition). We have a pair of red LEDs next to the tail light doing brake duty, and a set of BMW side cases. We have cylinder covers (with highway pegs, since removed).

For the price (sub $4k) and considering it was only 30 min away, ST and I were clearly destined for each other.

Here goes!

I've removed the fairing for now, and asked Corbin for a quote on re-covering the driver and passenger (not shown) seats. I'd consider swapping them for stock or something else...depends on budget. Ebay and BeemerBoneyard are new friends.

A canisterectomy is next on the list according to the instructions here. I did one on my 650X; should be drama-free...

The LeoVince is said to need no ST brain remapping.

As far as this goes, I can say that the front of the bike goes up and down OK. Beyond that...well, yuck.

Man, I have like no money, but want this bike to be my friend for many years to come. I bought a cover, a Clymers and some LED turn signal bulbs for him. The next priority will be to get a spare ignition key made, because I'm stupid that way. I started a running list of all the shiat I hope to someday do, here.

Anyway...more and better pics to come, I promise. Thanks guys for being here.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #924
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
I have one!

Never thought I would actually. Back in '05 I rode that year's Multistrada, GS and Tiger; chose the Tiger because it bested the others in price, weight and horsepower. I never regretted it. But today I can't afford a long-haul dual-sport-ish in that generation, and weeks of Ebay, Adv and Craigslist brought me to my new crush: ST. ( = SchwarzerTier.) Look how awesome he is!

(Confession: I'm only up to page 45 of this thread. But I'm working on it, I promise. Quickly, too.)

So here's what we got:

I'm the 5th owner of this 1996 R1100GS. It has 66k miles on the clock. The engine and transmission feel great; I've owned it since Sunday (that's three days now) and ridden highway and street, and it feels sound. I don't know much about it. Came with no repair records, but claims of transmission replaced at 45k. PO indicates everything was just flushed and filled, trans, rear end, motor oil, valves done within the last 500 miles. We have older, possibly Touratech? crash bars and little LEDs mounted on them (wired to ignition). We have a pair of red LEDs next to the tail light doing brake duty, and a set of BMW side cases. We have cylinder covers (with highway pegs, since removed).

For the price (sub $4k) and considering it was only 30 min away, ST and I were clearly destined for each other.

Here goes!
Not a bad looking bike. You did well
Quote:
I've removed the fairing for now, and asked Corbin for a quote on re-covering the driver and passenger (not shown) seats. I'd consider swapping them for stock or something else...depends on budget. Ebay and BeemerBoneyard are new friends.
Corbin will probably want more than 1/2 the cost of new seats. Then you've got to ship those heavy bastards back and forth. Suggest you find out which local upholsterer can do bike seats - There will be one or more for sure. If you want to replace with stock seats, note that the stock rear won't fit with the Corbin front - Not sure about the other way round but you should plan on getting both together.
Quote:
A canisterectomy is next on the list according to the instructions here. I did one on my 650X; should be drama-free...
Piece of cake. Make sure you plug the vacuum ports. Cut an inch long piece of the original hose and plpug it with a 6mm screw.
Quote:
The LeoVince is said to need no ST brain remapping.
How loud is it? If it's not too annoying and runs ok you're in good shape. Double check the cat code plug in the fuse box to see if it's be screwed about with.
Quote:
As far as this goes, I can say that the front of the bike goes up and down OK. Beyond that...well, yuck.
New shocks are going to be spendy. You can get the originals rebuilt but that's still not exactly a cheap option. Somehow seems worse when it's a significant fraction of the cost of a used bike but if you find some decent used aftermarket shocks, when you have the $$$, you will be pleased withh the result and will be able to get most of your money back when you sell the bike.
Quote:
Man, I have like no money, but want this bike to be my friend for many years to come. I bought a cover, a Clymers and some LED turn signal bulbs for him. The next priority will be to get a spare ignition key made, because I'm stupid that way. I started a running list of all the shiat I hope to someday do,...
I'd have saved the bulb money for the key but if the bike is running ok, you shouldn't need to much luck to get a decent amount of use from it before you need to spend a lot. If it has the original brake hoses, plan on replacing those before you indulge in any other improvements.

PM me if you want to sell the fairing.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 06:18 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #925
Basic_Gerd
Gerd

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post

Scrap. Swap it to a good one from an early 1200GS. The early years (05 and 06) were equipped with WP, later they switched to Showa. Been there, done that.

BMW Airhead -> www.zeebulon.de/bmw
BMW R1100GS -> www.zeebulon.de/R1100GS
XT 500 -> www.zeebulon.de/xt
Basic_Gerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #926
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Corbin will probably want more than 1/2 the cost of new seats. Then you've got to ship those heavy bastards back and forth. Suggest you find out which local upholsterer can do bike seats - There will be one or more for sure. If you want to replace with stock seats, note that the stock rear won't fit with the Corbin front - Not sure about the other way round but you should plan on getting both together.
Eeewwwww...hm. And me with all these double-ply black Hefty lawn trash bags in the shed...I think the seats will wait.

Quote:
How loud is it? If it's not too annoying and runs ok you're in good shape.
It's not too loud and it seems to run well! The engine trembles a bit unevenly at low rpms but there could be so many reasons...I'm not blaming the LV. Gerd (below) has a page about how changing the spark plugs, for example, made a big difference in that regard.

Quote:
Double check the cat code plug in the fuse box to see if it's be screwed about with.
...The who now of the which what...?

Quote:
New shocks are going to be spendy.
Yeah, I got that sense. I'm only 150 lbs soaking wet and don't plan to head off road any time soon (...thank you, DC metro area...), so that's lower down the list.

I'm keeping the fairing, thanks for asking...god knows what it is but it seemed to do an ok job on the highway. I'll let you know if it's destined for departure.

Gerd--thanks for your post, and the link to your pages. I bookmarked them and now have another resource. The White Power shocks...A quick 5 minutes doesn't turn any up, so I'll start keeping an eye out to get a sense of prices.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #927
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
a good resource

some good info for us R11GS fans

http://translate.google.com/translat...ari%26rls%3Den
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #928
AK-57
United Flight XXX

Oddometer: 135
Question Refurbish OEM Shocks

Can anybody recommend a place to get the OEM shocks refurbished? Mine are clean but have 65,000+ on them.

Maybe it isn't worth the cost savings compared to springing for Ohlins/Hyperpros.
AK-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #929
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
1100 GS parts

Congratulations on your new bike! I am just sending you a message to let you know that I have the original front and rear shocks from my 97. They were removed at around 25K miles so that I could have a big splurge farkle for my bike. Ohlin's. $1500! I also have an original saddle and pillion seat (black) that fits a 97. It should fit a 96 too, but one would have to check for sure. The cover is not torn. If you are interested, PM me and we could discuss.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #930
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
To Ridin gaijin

Sorry, my last post was meant specifically for "ridin gaijin." Can't seem to quote properly.