Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Since Kenny is gone for the weekend, I'll post a few teaser pics of the next day.

We dine on the road at the famous Tortas "Kinny". Named obviously for our intrepid traveler.

Night scene from Zacatecas:

Day scene from Zacatecas:

Make sure Kenny's story of Zacatecas includes his kidnapping by a street gang and tequila bearing donkey.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

9:00pm
Kenny:"I think I'll go get a beer"

10:00pm
I wonder where Kenny went?

11:00pm
He'll be sorry tomorrow, when we leave early.

12:00am
Where do I check on police stations and hospitals?

1:00am
Hope he has MedJet. Should I keep on with the trip or stay at the hospital/police station with Kenny?

2:00am
Definitely something serious. We leave at 6 am.

3:00am
How do I tell his wife he died in Zacatecas? I don't even know her. Maybe the authorities will do it. Should I just pretend I don't know him and drop his gear off at the police station. No, his family would never get it. Better I just leave it here at the hotel.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '07
Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #18
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Viva México

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc

Dick and I had been planning this trip for some time. We wanted to explore some of the old colonial towns in central Mexico via the paved roads and then see a little more of Copper Canyon via the dirt. Dick went so far as to buy a new DR650 for the trip. When we crossed the border it had less than 800 miles on the clock. He said he wanted something a little more dirt worthy for the canyon but I think he just wanted something that would help him keep up with me in the dirt. I think he secretly has KLR envy but he would never admit it.

Bear with me because I took over 1000 pics on the trip and it may take a couple of weeks to get this report finished as I am still trying to get caught up at home. I promise not to post them all though.

Day 1, 9/29/2007

We met in Ft. Worth and headed for Presidio, TX where the ride would officially begin. Checked into the 3 Palms Inn and had a less than memorable dinner at El Patio. We cross the border en la manana.
Sí México is a crosslet of so many diferent cultures, that even for us mexicanos seems that in some places is as if we are traveling in another country. We are proud to share our traditions, food and history and to say " YES ,IT IS SAFE TO TRAVEL IN MÉXICO "

More and more riders travel through México alone or 2, from North America, South America as well from Europe." BIEN VENIDOS ".
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:10 AM   #19
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44

Make sure Kenny's story of Zacatecas includes his kidnapping by a street gang and tequila bearing donkey.
Everything is not as Dick would have you believe......I was a willing participant.

Tequila...good. Cerveza....good. New friends in Mexico.....definitely good. It was a great night.

Details at 11:00. Or sometime tonight.

Kenny
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #20
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc
Everything is not as Dick would have you believe......I was a willing participant.

Tequila...good. Cerveza....good. New friends in Mexico.....definitely good. It was a great night.

Details at 11:00. Or sometime tonight.

Kenny

You need to quit your job so you can finish this report.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #21
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Heading down to Barrancas del Cobre next July (by way of cage) and possibly all the way to Guatemala.

Nice pics and report so far.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #22
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 565
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4, 10/2/2007

Ok, where was I…..oh yeah, the road to Zacatecas.

Today was a short ride day so we didn’t get in any hurry to leave. Only about 185 miles. We had a leisurely breakfast at a great little place that is frequented by the locals, El Zocabon. It’s on the southeast corner of the square and it was good as usual. Highly recommended.

We left Durango about 10am and blasted out of town. Not long before we hit road construction signs and this time there were actually people there working. I have noticed in Mexico that when a construction project is started they place signs and then when the construction stops for lack of money or manpower or other resources they just leave the signs there until work starts back up again.

We passed several trucks and a few cars in the construction zone and then it finally opened back up into an almost U.S Interstate like road for a ways. Then back to 2 lane.

We stopped in little pueblo of La Chiripa for lunch. Had some excellent gorditas at “Gorditas Kinny”

We got into Zacatecas in the early afternoon and after some directions from a local on the street, consulting our maps and guidebooks, and several loops around town we found our hotel. The Posada De La Moneda would be our lodging for the next couple of nights.

Dtop1 had said they allowed motos to park in the lobby but they would have none of that. No can do Senor. No matter we parked on the street for 2 nights with no problems.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Took a stroll around town.................

........and found this guy snooping around our bikes.

It's Yelostn78 and his lovely wife.
Yelostn only lives 15 miles from me in Kansas and we had never met. Go figure; travel 2000 miles to meet your neighbor!

MX '07
Old 10-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
sachiwilson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Oh! Zacatecas is a gorgeous little town - Claire and I have been there often. There is a lot to see in that city (it is a center of Mexican art) with museums and galleries all over. There are quite a few archeological sites in the state too, not that far from Zacatecas itself. La Quemada and Alta Vista are two that can give you a good idea of what ancient Mexican cultures were like.

Mexico is a beautiful country and Tury is so right - the Mexicans are proud of their land and happy to share it with anyone who can appreciate their country and their past.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #26
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Out for a walk around town. A few pics.

The Cathedral

Intricate carvings on the Cathedral

Another one of the great little fountains you see in Zacatecas.

Getting ready for their performance.

Other performers on stage.

Looked a little like Mexican square dancing but what do I know.

We were walking around town and this dog in the window didn’t think too much of us. One of the few dogs in Mexico to bark at us when not on a bike

We started up the hill to the Teleferico when Dick stopped and looked up. “Sh*t, you mean we gotta go up there?”

This is what he was looking at. Whole lotta steps in Zacatecas. Must not have hurt him too bad though. The first thing he did at the top was sit down and have another cigarette.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looking back down on the city. You can see the Cathedral from earlier in the center.

The Teleferico to the top of Cerro de la Bufa.

We passed by this little sushi bar on the way back down and Dick decided he wanted some sushi. California roll or some sh*t like that. Give me my fish cooked.

I’m not really sure what this building is but it sure looked impressive.

Later we ran into a couple of Dick’s neighbors from KC that he had never met before. Small world huh? Yelwstn78 from Advrider and his wife. Sorry her name escapes me at the moment. Lita maybe? I thought I had a picture but I can’t seem to find it. Oh well, maybe Dick has one.

We decided to meet later for a couple of beers in the hotel bar. Had a good time and it was a pleasure meeting you two.

Later Dick and I went to the Acropolis for dinner. I had a Torta de Puerco and Dick had a cheeseburger or something forgetful.

More of Zacatecas tomorrow. Markets, gardens, fountains, and oh yeah, the Callejoneada!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #28
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 5, 10/3/2007

I awoke at 6am, showered, shaved and out the door to find some coffee. Ha! Forget it! Mexico is not for the early risers. Wandered around town and found an Oxxo at about 7:15 with hot coffee.
Dick finally rolled out of bed and we went to the Acropolis for breakfast.

After eating our fill we headed out and about to see the town. We had no plans to ride anywhere today, just wander about and see the sights.

Zacatecas is one of Mexico’s most storied silver cities. By the early 18th century the mines of Zacatecas were producing 20 % of Mexico’s silver. Mining has diminished somewhat since then but Zacatecas remains a mining center with the 200 year old El Bote still producing.

It also is home to some of the finest colonial buildings in all of Mexico. The Cathedral shown previously is one of the most stunning examples in a country of beautiful Cathedrals. Another pic.

And a few more pics.
Teatro Calderon.

Very intricate stonework in this wall.

Every inch of space is used in downtown Zacatecas.

This building is getting a new mural. He does pretty good work.

The old aqueduct still runs through the south side of town.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Narrow, winding cobblestone streets run throughout the city and everywhere you turn there is another park or garden or fountain. It is truly a beautiful city.

We wandered down to where all the street vendors were set up for the day to sell their wares.

Lots of goodies to eat. Everything looked and smelled so good. The tantalizing smell of sugary candies, fresh baked goods, fruits, and spits cooking pork, beef, and chicken was making me hungry again and we had just finished eating.

We saw these everywhere. I didn’t have a clue what they were but they were being sold as tunas. Didn’t look like any tuna I ever saw. They looked and smelled delicious so I decided to try one. It tasted much like a kiwi fruit but with bigger and harder seeds. It would have been almost impossible to spit out all the seeds since there were so many, I just ate them. Very sweet and tasty.

After I got home I had to find out what it was I ate because we saw them for sale all over Mexico. I googled it and found out that it is actually the fruit of the Prickly Pear Cactus. They have a thorny skin and the thorns can be removed by burning or scalding in hot water. It is then peeled to reveal the juicy and delicious fruit.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #30
kennyanc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another street scene.

Beans, chilies, peanuts, dog food, cat food, you name they had it at this place.

Need some boots? They got’em here.

I knew these were some type of cactus but I had to google them when I got home also. It too comes from the Prickly Pear Cactus. The big leaves are called nopales and the chopped pieces are called nopalitos. The slices in the middle are cooked like string beans and the nopalitos are usually cooked with other foods such as eggs. Never had any that I know of and never saw them in a restaurant. I would like to try them though.

Then I saw these and had to have one. I don’t know what it was called but it too was quite tasty. Some kind of ooey, gooey, coconut stuff.

More Italika’s for sale. 200cc was the biggest I saw.

Looks like they were getting this guy ready for the evenings festivities. Can you say Callejoneada?