ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Beaufort County SC Dual Sport/Adventure Riders

I wanted to start a thread where myself and others could post all sorts of information that might be helpful for the Beaufort County rider.

I am interested in dirt roads and trails as close to Hilton Head and Bluffton as possible. I just got my first bike, a honda crf250L, and with my schedule I don't always have time to ride out to the prime dirt spots near Savannah and Charleston. I have a few leads on riding areas and will post my findings when I discover them.

But feel free to talk about whatever!

I am not sure how many inmates are from this specific area but I figured I would give this a shot! Hope to meet and ride with y'all soon!

If anyone wants to join I will be searching for dirt later today near the New River Parkway area in hardeeville. If google maps is semi up to date it looks like lots of dirt roads in the area. I am hoping some trails as well!

New2Moto screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 04:53 PM
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rained out

I wasn't able to make it out today due to thunderstorms in the Bluffton area and my lack of rain gear/ riding experience. I am trying to make it out Tuesday afternoon now. Any ones welcome!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
CB350ER
Pavement Pounder

Oddometer: 8
Where's the "prime dirt spots" near savannah?

(I'm the guy on a black KLR you met at Palachuola)
CB350ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB350ER View Post
Where's the "prime dirt spots" near savannah?

(I'm the guy on a black KLR you met at Palachuola)
Mark said he had a ride that was along the river but was more challenging than the roads we met on.

Other than that I am not too sure! There are some forest roads near me on 278/170 (like 30 minutes north of Savannah) that I will be checking out soon if you want to join
Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
hey guys. My wife and I are headed down your way this week. getting off the ferry from ocracoke, and heading towards folly.
Anything to see? cool places to camp near folly? thanks

And if anyone sees a loaded KTM 950, and a husky 630 tard, stop and say hello!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
hey guys. My wife and I are headed down your way this week. getting off the ferry from ocracoke, and heading towards folly.
Anything to see? cool places to camp near folly? thanks

And if anyone sees a loaded KTM 950, and a husky 630 tard, stop and say hello!
Folly is a little more north than I can make on a regular basis, (about 60 miles north of Beaufort county). I have heard there is a lot of prime off roads in that area but since it is so far north from me I don't make it up very often. Let me know if you plan to come town to Beaufort!

The firefly vodka distillery is 40 minutes away from folly https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Foll...669!2d32.64756

Feel free to continue discussing but I think there are some threads with more people from the Charleston County area who could probably help ya out a lot more than I can

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...582531&page=90

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748408

O, and Edisto and Hunting island south of Folly have camping..I have never been though

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hilton Head and Bluffton Dirt

Hey Beaufort County Inmates!

I have been exploring the areas around Hilton Head and Bluffton and have been pleasantly surprised about how much off road there is in the area, granted its all scattered. There is a decent amount of pavement between some of the spots and some spots are larger than others...

*Disclaimer*
I am not sure how legal some of these spots are. While there are no signs or gates telling people to stay out, some are in pretty well traveled areas. Please be respectful so we can continue to ride in these limited areas near my home! and keep in mind I have just recently discovered these areas so ride at your own risk! Several Bluffton PD have told me if there is no sign or gate you are good to go unless someone complains about ya..

Starting from Hilton Head and moving inland on 278...

Spot 1: Dirt on Hilton Head? What?!? Yes! Granted it is only a mile or 2 long but there is a little dirt power line trail on the island. You start in the middle by turning right onto the last street before crossing the bridge off the island on 278. Go left and it will dead end at the marsh/bay and go right it dead ends at a really really old cemetery and what seems to be a fishing spot. Trail is wide enough for a car but is pretty uneven, its pretty mellow for a bike. Nothing special except for the fact that its on the island haha

Spot 2: Sand pit on Bluffton Parkway/Burnt Church Road intersection (Across from Piggly Wiggly) This seems to be a vacant lot for sale that is primarily covered in shimmering white loosely packed sand. I entered on a back entrance off burnt church so I am really not sure what signage is at the road front section of the lot but I have heard its cool to ride as long as you don't linger too long

Spot 3: Met this dude with a drz400 that was very nice and showed me a little sandy loop trail about 2 miles long (some spurs but not much hope of much more because of where it is). On the other side of Burnt Church Rd from Spot 2. Heading towards 278 on Burnt Church turn Right on Bluffton Pkway. Immediately look right for entrance (you will have to ride pike path for a minute or jump the curb)

Then its a nice loop with slightly banked curves and a dirt/sand mix, mostly hard packed. I have been warned not to go after a rain as it completely fills with water and mud...unless your in the mood to get dirty, prob not much fun after rain

Spot 4: (unexplored) As you leave hilton head on 278 and turn left onto Burnt Church Rd, immediately to your right is a powerline trail which seems to weave behind businesses in bluffton. There are no signs or gates but I haven't checked it out yet

Spot 5: This is the largest I have found so far and feel there is much much more to explore! Off Argent Road behind the Walmart on 278 there is a major system of dirt forest roads. Some wider than others and some more over grown than others (some barely passable they are so over grown)

If you look at Google maps the whole area north or 278, west of argent and east of 95 seems to be completely unpaved if not completely void of mapped roads. There are many entrances with no signs and gates, specifically speaking north of new river parkway on the left within a mile or so. There are also a few with gates and 'authorized use only' signs but these are only found in the communities that border the off road area. These are gates and signs are located: if you go onto new river pkwy until it dead ends north then you will pass a sign. If you continue north on Argent road turning left into the next new community (with big flags to attract renters) then there is an entrance that is gated. I also came across a few dead ends on the trails which seemed to be owned by hunting clubs (some gated and some signed)

I just got my Spot GPS Beacon w/ tracking so I will come back and post photos and gps points/maps in the future. I will try to be quick about it but I own my own business and run it solo and the busy season is upon me! Many of my rides will be short and sweet with no time to document... but I will get it done and I hope these descriptions help for now!

I know I would not have tracked many of these spots down without the help of fellow inmates and riders I have met!

I look forward to scouting the whole area from the Savannah River to Beaufort SC (and a little north) and East of 95!

If anyone wants to come with on these scouting missions please let me know! Or if anyone has recon reports please share!

Cheers!

New2Moto screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 06:04 PM
Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Owen06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hey guys,
I'm just south of Savannah in Hinesville. If anyone wants to meet up in the future and find some trails, let me know. Ready to get my bike dirty and use it more than just a commuter.

Josh
Owen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen06 View Post
Hey guys,
I'm just south of Savannah in Hinesville. If anyone wants to meet up in the future and find some trails, let me know. Ready to get my bike dirty and use it more than just a commuter.

Josh
Sweet! What r you riding? I would love to meet up if you can handle my cautious newb pace! I just did some exploring north of Savannah where highway 46 and 170 meet.

Would you be willing to cruise up to that area to find some off road?

I will make a write up of my new findings soon! I don't remember if I mentioned it before but I am trying to patch together as much dirt/sand roads and trails so I can leave hilton head and ride off road for the majority of the way out towards the other riding area on the other side of 95. I have actually been finding a lot all around the area right off the island but it is patchy for sure. Report coming soon!!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Recent off road found...

Unfortunately as the local farmers markets pick up I am getting busier and busier (I vend at many of them for my business) and am not able to ride as much as I would like! I am only getting out on serious recon missions every few weeks or so.

Here is some of what I have found in the area so far!

#4 from my previous recon post was indeed a trail, leading from Burnt Church Rd to behind the Target on 278. There are also some split off trails that circle some of the ponds in the sat photo. The trail seems to continue on the other side of 46 although I have not fully recon'd over there yet

There are also a few miles of dirt roads and logging trails south east of burnt church road near HH national golf club. They are limited and hemmed in by pavement on all sides, but being so close to HH I thought I would mention it still

My friend informed me of a dirt trail leading out the back of a parkers gas station on Buckwalter Parkway between both bluffton parkway sections. I checked it out the other day and took the route as followed and save the other 2 options for another day. After only a little while on power line trails they led me into the woods where I found a concrete path that was all over grown...I followed the path and it turned out to be 9 holes that a golf club had abandoned. They still had active holes and club as I found out by coming across the active cart path and golfers teeing off. They did not like hearing a D/S bike in the middle of their back swing. The path is cool but I would not go back very often. It is worth checking out once real quick though because it is pretty surreal looking...like what the world would look like 10 years after the apocalypse lol

As I stopped for gas at the parkers near the int of 46 and 170 I saw some atv's coming out of the woods. I asked about some trails in the area and they told me about some and turns out they are pretty cool! Sandy and more narrow than a dirt/sand road. I didn't explore further cause I had to get back but it seems this area has some good riding... This would be semi-close to come explore with me Owen06!

I will get some more pictures next time I am out exploring these and new spots. I just get so into exploring and so hot and sweaty that I don't ever wanna stop

Hope this helps some folks who are looking for off road to ride on in the area without traveling too far or paying $20. I am still hoping to find larger more diverse riding areas close by. I have heard right north of beaufort there is some good riding.

Lets try to get a small local scouting party together for a Sunday soon! Let me know if anyone else is interested

More to come soon!

edit: more to come already haha I forgot I used a fitness gps tracking app to track my last ride...one of the area to the south was not mentioned because it turned out to be gated private property for hunting. I just found the one way in and out with not signs or gates... ride at your own risk :) http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...umdgfplsfb86p3

New2Moto screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 09:05 PM
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Owen06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Moto View Post

As I stopped for gas at the parkers near the int of 46 and 170 I saw some atv's coming out of the woods. I asked about some trails in the area and they told me about some and turns out they are pretty cool! Sandy and more narrow than a dirt/sand road. I didn't explore further cause I had to get back but it seems this area has some good riding... This would be semi-close to come explore with me Owen06!

Sounds good! I'm down. A Sunday would be best (not this one though). Hope more people can join in.

Josh
Owen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #12
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen06 View Post
Sounds good! I'm down. A Sunday would be best (not this one though). Hope more people can join in.

Josh

Sounds good! I try to ride most every Sunday unless business is too busy.

ill send u a PM sometime soon with some contact info so we can link up 2 sundays from now if you want and do some exploring.. Did u say what you were riding?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Recon Ride Sunday?

I am pretty sure I will be able to make time to ride this coming Sunday!

I will be continuing the search for the dirt ride away from Hilton Head.

Riding the sections I already have (burnt church to bluffton rd) as well as the google earth recon'd sections between bluffton road all the way to 170.

After 170 there looks to be a mandatory pavement section to reach any further dirt. I may try to connect the path from 170/bluffton pkwy with Argent blvd behind walmart on 278 ...and then I can get half way to Augusta with barely a few miles on pavement

I will only be doing the section from bluffton to around 170 area Sunday though.

If anyone is interested on meeting up or joining the recon in its entirety they are more than welcome!

EDIT: Text or PM me if you want to meet up tomorrow and search for some dirt! 4043757795 - Matt

New2Moto screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 08:19 PM
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Damn work keeps comin up and postponing my recon rides

Looks like I will be gettin out Friday...Hopefully!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Not for sure if this is the right thread, but you guys might lead me in the right way! :)
I'm coming to your beautiful area this July. I have talked my wife into letting me pull the small cargo trailer so I can bring my bike crf 450x road legal to Charleston to visit her aunt. I plan to do some dirt road/ trails riding, never been to your area and road with adventure riders last year in destin fl had a great time!

Anybody recommend a good riding area plus a few guys want to take off work and show me some nice trails:)

Thanks for your time!
Todd
Southwest Missouri hillbilly at heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote