ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #4036
Cuttle
me? what?
 
Cuttle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mars
Oddometer: 10,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
Any pictures from Wedgeday?

just a couple
__________________
Cutītle (k?tīt'l)
1.(Zool) A cephalopod of the genus Sepia, having an internal shell, large eyes, and ten arms furnished with denticulated suckers, by means of which it secures its prey. 2. A foul-mouthed fellow
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #4037
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer
 
kennyanc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 2,020
Hey all you locals. Ian, a.k.a. mon the biffy is just getting started on a 3 month tour of the US and is coming thru our fair city this evening. We thought we might take him to the Wedge this evening around 5:30-6:00 for a beer or 3. Stop by if you can.

Here is a link to his ride report.

3 months to explore the USA
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #4038
Cuttle
me? what?
 
Cuttle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mars
Oddometer: 10,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Hey all you locals. Ian, a.k.a. mon the biffy is just getting started on a 3 month tour of the US and is coming thru our fair city this evening. We thought we might take him to the Wedge this evening around 5:30-6:00 for a beer or 3. Stop by if you can.

Here is a link to his ride report.

3 months to explore the USA

as it happens, I already planned on going to the Wedge today...
__________________
Cutītle (k?tīt'l)
1.(Zool) A cephalopod of the genus Sepia, having an internal shell, large eyes, and ten arms furnished with denticulated suckers, by means of which it secures its prey. 2. A foul-mouthed fellow
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #4039
Cuttle
me? what?
 
Cuttle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mars
Oddometer: 10,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
Hey all, I'm leaving Tallahassee this morning and headed up through Alabama, into Chattanoga, and hoping to find a place to crash in the Asheville area. Leaving Tuesday morning early to head back to Wilmington. PM me if you can help.

Thanks, Dan
I can't tonight - anybody else?


link to thread here
__________________
Cutītle (k?tīt'l)
1.(Zool) A cephalopod of the genus Sepia, having an internal shell, large eyes, and ten arms furnished with denticulated suckers, by means of which it secures its prey. 2. A foul-mouthed fellow
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #4040
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer
 
kennyanc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 2,020
Hear, hear, or is it here, here. We have an extra bed. Ian will be here as well and we are gonna throw some dead bovine on the grill. I will send him a pm.
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #4041
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,820
Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can park a small SUV and trailer after the RA rally? Should be about a week, returning (7/1).
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #4042
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer
 
kennyanc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 2,020
We have plenty of parking and you are welcome to leave at our place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #4043
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
We have plenty of parking and you are welcome to leave at our place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the offer

PM sent
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #4044
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it
 
Al Tuna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 12,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Thanks for the offer

PM sent
Kenny, keep a close eye on this guy...
__________________
Southeast Weather Map

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #4045
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer
 
kennyanc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Kenny, keep a close eye on this guy...
Thanks for the warning AT... Do I need to hide the likker and loose womernz?
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #4046
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it
 
Al Tuna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 12,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Thanks for the warning AT... Do I need to hide the likker and loose womernz?
Well... He is a friend of mine. Whaddyathink?
__________________
Southeast Weather Map

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #4047
400psi
Cropdusting
 
400psi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 437
Hurricane

Dave and I rode out to Hurricane yesterday. The FS has really done a number on it! While Hurricane needed some work on it to reroute water, close the mudbog etc, it did not need to have the grade work done to it that has occured. It has been significantly graded, is extremely soft, and has the center section rerouted so it doesnt cross the creeks to often. The trail now comes out above the bus (which is no longer there). There are no silt fences, significant drainage areas, rip rap, or anything to slow overflow down or to keep any silt out of the creek and it will be very loose and soft for quite sometime.
I understand that improvements may have needed to occur to the trail to make it easier for FS access or other needs but I also understand that this type of work would never have been allowed if it were a private contractor
Its a shame.
On the other hand it was a gorgeous day for a ride!
__________________
I'm so far behind I think I'm in first
400psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #4048
Cuttle
me? what?
 
Cuttle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mars
Oddometer: 10,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400psi View Post
Dave and I rode out to Hurricane yesterday. The FS has really done a number on it! While Hurricane needed some work on it to reroute water, close the mudbog etc, it did not need to have the grade work done to it that has occured. It has been significantly graded, is extremely soft, and has the center section rerouted so it doesnt cross the creeks to often. The trail now comes out above the bus (which is no longer there). There are no silt fences, significant drainage areas, rip rap, or anything to slow overflow down or to keep any silt out of the creek and it will be very loose and soft for quite sometime.
I understand that improvements may have needed to occur to the trail to make it easier for FS access or other needs but I also understand that this type of work would never have been allowed if it were a private contractor
Its a shame.
On the other hand it was a gorgeous day for a ride!

no that sucks.


But... is there still a way to get on the old "unmaintained" part???
__________________
Cutītle (k?tīt'l)
1.(Zool) A cephalopod of the genus Sepia, having an internal shell, large eyes, and ten arms furnished with denticulated suckers, by means of which it secures its prey. 2. A foul-mouthed fellow
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #4049
35xj
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: asheville, nc
Oddometer: 903
nope

it looks as though the long term plan is to remove all the old structure from the trail, allow it to degrade to a nasty muddy, creek silting mess, and then claim it unmaintainable. thus closing it.

cocksuckers!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #4050
ihatefalling
Let it roll
 
ihatefalling's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 3,328
Hey WNC folks - I posted this over in HARDCORE but maybe you could help me too?

I'm looking at the maps just west-ish of Hot Springs -

Does Upper Shut-in Road go anywhere?
Does it connect with Wolf Creek road and then over to Round Mtn campground?

Also - if you go SW out of Hot Springs on 209, then in "Bluff" you take a right on Gorenflo and take a left on Bluff Mtn road - does that go anywhere? Does it connect with Upper Shut-in Or??

Thanks doods . .

And regarding the post above ^ ^ ^ ^ Hurricane Creek....I'll be thru there in about a week. Sure hat to see if they goofed it up
__________________
We gunna debitchulate you boy . . . .
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014