ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #4111
motobutane
Dirt ╭∩╮ . ╭∩╮only

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
anyone thinking of a early Saturday or sunday to go up and scout out this opportunity?

If I cannot get away this weekend, I very well might go Saturday after thanksgiving. anyone else interested?

http://doemountain.org/about/location/
I riding at http://windrockpark.com/
this entire weekend but the Saturday after Thanksgiving might work.There are several places up that way I want to check out.

Side note; I am meeting 2 locals who said they will show me some singletrack at Windrock.Which I am thankful for, with 300 miles of trails I probably would not find them in one weekend.
Anybody that wants to ride at Windrock this weekend let me know.

motobutane screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 06:41 AM
motobutane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #4112
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
anyone thinking of a early Saturday or sunday to go up and scout out this opportunity?

If I cannot get away this weekend, I very well might go Saturday after thanksgiving. anyone else interested?

http://doemountain.org/about/location/
I might be able to go Saturday. I will warn you I am not very experienced on dirt. I would like to find people to ride off road with so I can get better because I am kinda paranoid about going alone.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #4113
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,127
Will post up if weather cooperates for turkey day saturday.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #4114
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Right on Floridian and snow, but I'm not from FL.

I know, can't count on it. One year was snow all winter and the very next was zip....WTH, I'll be up looking for you guys soon with my DS bike whether snow or not. But I will have the heat suit wired

Wonder if I can find this road again

Just search on Google Maps. It's there, in Candler NC. :-)

Roborider - 1150 GS Adventurer - Galax VA
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #4115
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 202
Why We Ride film

I heard rumors that MR Cycles in Asheville is trying to get a showing of the Why We Ride film in Asheville.
Has anyone else heard this or know of any showings in Asheville?
falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #4116
motobutane
Dirt ╭∩╮ . ╭∩╮only

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcofred View Post
I heard rumors that MR Cycles in Asheville is trying to get a showing of the Why We Ride film in Asheville.
Has anyone else heard this or know of any showings in Asheville?
Figures I was there today and never thought about it.
motobutane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #4117
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,127
I am out for any riding turkey weekend. House projects and family time gotta get done first.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4118
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 399
Thinking about moving

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are considering moving to Asheville and or surrounding area. Right now we live in Newport News, VA and with the school getting worse and the rise in crime we want to raise our family in a better place. I was wondering if anybody has any input about Asheville. Likes/Dislikes? schools, sports and things to do. Our kids are young, 2 and 1. WE love the mountains and talk about retiring there all the time, But with life being so short we decided why do we have to wait, let do it now. We both love riding and hiking. So thanks for any input, it is much appreciated, Feel free to PM me I dont want to highjack the tread.

Thanks again
Old 11-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #4119
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
its a horrible place! don't move here

35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #4120
scbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
???
scbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #4121
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Henderson,
Asheville is a cool town to the point of maybe too many people moving there according to the locals.
I live near Johnson City TN, just one hour north of Asheville on I-26. While Johnson City is not a cool and hip a town as Asheville, the taxes are much lower here, the schools are good, and most important the riding is excellent. In fact the roads between where I live and Asheville are some of my favorites, and I'm not talking about I-26.
Weekend rides often include lunch in Asheville at one of the many Micro Breweries, or BBQ places and are 200 - 300 miles of scenic two lane twisting mountain roads.
Johnson City is progressing slowly, when I first moved here 17 years ago from Marietta GA, it was like going back in time 25 years, and it is still not what I'd call progressive, but it's not hill billy either. I guess what struck me most 17 years ago was the lack or a a absence of any ethnic diversity. That is still pretty much true today. While we aren't as cool as Asheville, most resteruants as chain, only one Micro brewery (can't serve on site) not as much culture. We have great weather, a lower cost of living, and we don't have the homeless people problem that Asheville has.
I love Asheville and would love to live there, but I'm have a good job here, in JC, and am close enough to visit Asheville often.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #4122
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 645
I'm going to go ahead and be an advocate for Greenville, SC metro area. Similar arguments to the ones falcofred makes about Johnson City in terms of lower taxes and cost of living, though Greenville is definitely a happening place with a vibrant downtown with some eclectic options ("some" being the operative keyword here)

Plenty of people moving here from other states give me hope in terms of cultural and mind-set diversity. More and more people now don't assume that I have to be Mexican because Spanish is my native language.

The job search (in case you still need to work) in here would have a lot more options too.

Granted you wouldn't be living in the mountains and your summers will be hotter and winters milder down here, but it is a nice place to live. The mountains are a short ride away anyway.

My 2 cents in case you want to widen the parameters of your search. Good luck relocating.

Quote:
Henderson,
Asheville is a cool town to the point of maybe too many people moving there according to the locals.
I live near Johnson City TN, just one hour north of Asheville on I-26. While Johnson City is not a cool and hip a town as Asheville, the taxes are much lower here, the schools are good, and most important the riding is excellent. In fact the roads between where I live and Asheville are some of my favorites, and I'm not talking about I-26.
Weekend rides often include lunch in Asheville at one of the many Micro Breweries, or BBQ places and are 200 - 300 miles of scenic two lane twisting mountain roads.
Johnson City is progressing slowly, when I first moved here 17 years ago from Marietta GA, it was like going back in time 25 years, and it is still not what I'd call progressive, but it's not hill billy either. I guess what struck me most 17 years ago was the lack or a a absence of any ethnic diversity. That is still pretty much true today. While we aren't as cool as Asheville, most resteruants as chain, only one Micro brewery (can't serve on site) not as much culture. We have great weather, a lower cost of living, and we don't have the homeless people problem that Asheville has.
I love Asheville and would love to live there, but I'm have a good job here, in JC, and am close enough to visit Asheville often.

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories

trespalacios screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 08:54 PM
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #4123
dpippin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Henderson,
we don't have the homeless people problem that Asheville has.
John

Hope you're not talking about me.
I really do have a home!

Doug
Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #4124
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Doug,
You do spend a lot of time on the road, but not in the streets. I've been to your home, very nice.
I do agree that Greenville or any of the immediate area of upstate SC is nice. Greenville does have a nice downtown vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippin View Post
John

Hope you're not talking about me.
I really do have a home!

Doug
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4125
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 406
Quote: