ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #4186
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,126
This has some more info.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/...TELPRDB5397660

Here is the text:

NORTH CAROLINA - Next Phase of Nantahala & Pisgah National Forests Plan Revision Begins
Greetings BRC Action Alert Subscribers,
The U.S. Forest Service National Forests in North Carolina, have announced that the agency has begun the next phase of revising the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests Land and Resource Management Plan (the Forest Plan).
During this plan development phase, the Forest Service, with input from members of the public and representatives of other governmental and non-governmental organizations, will determine the management practices necessary to accomplish the desired goals, and the effects those practices may have on the land. The Forest Service will then draft the proposed revised Plan and draft Environmental Impact Statement.
The public has 45 days to comment on the Notice of Intent (NOI), the Preliminary Need for Change and the Proposed Action, which was published in the Federal Register on March 12, 2014. Anyone interested in the two national forests is encouraged to submit comments on the NOI to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) by April 28, 2014.
Comments or questions about plan revision can be sent by email to NCplanrevision@fs.fed.us. For those who prefer regular mail, written comments can be mailed to National Forests in North Carolina, Nantahala and Pisgah Plan Revision, 160 Zillicoa St. Suite A, Asheville, NC 28801.
Once the Plan is completed, the monitoring phase will begin as the Plan is implemented, and will continue until the next forest plan revision. Each national forest has a management plan that is updated about every 15 years.
More information about the plan revision process is available on the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests Plan Revision website at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/nfsnc/nprevision.
Thanks in advance and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.
Ric Foster
Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 107

Sounds like a 15 year plan may be something that those of us in WNC would be interested in as this is our backyard.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #4187
lgajohnymac
(*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
you folks might want to comment on this one:
https://www.sharetrails.org/issues/alerts

the government is playing with your stock
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #4188
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Greetings ladies and gents. My wife and I are planning a trip to Ashville in May, and I would love some suggestions on places to see, places to stay, and places to eat. I would like to stay downtown somewhere within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and adult beverage establishments for the evenings after riding. We're using Ashville as a base, and plan on 150-200 mile day loops. All suggestions will be appreciated.

-Chad
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #4189
lgajohnymac
(*)

Beer-plenty of that downtown. There is so much its hard to see the beer for the beer gardens. Are you looking for local brews or locations with large selections and food? The best beer locations are mostly beer, not much on food.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #4190
Muddydonut
Too short for KTM

Oddometer: 86
New to the area

Hi all,
I'm searching around the Asheville area for a house. I'm glad to see inmates in the area. What's the riding like here? Does anyone do meet and greets?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #4191
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Greetings ladies and gents. My wife and I are planning a trip to Ashville in May, and I would love some suggestions on places to see, places to stay, and places to eat. I would like to stay downtown somewhere within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and adult beverage establishments for the evenings after riding. We're using Ashville as a base, and plan on 150-200 mile day loops. All suggestions will be appreciated.

-Chad
There are several hotels downtown, nice expensive ones. Asheville Motor Inn on Patton Ave. is fairly cheap, and within walking distance of lots of restaurants, bars and breweries.
Last Saturday, me, my Wife, Daughter and Daughters Boyfriend did a pub crawl of breweries. We started at Wicked Weed, then walked to Asheville Brewery, a new brewery named Twin Leaf, then to High Wire, Green Man, Wedge and up town to Lexington Ave. (LAB). Seven breweries and according to Google Maps walked 3.6 miles. That's a lot of breweries in a small area.
We had some appetizers at several places and dinner at LAB. I saw some bikes and inmates at Wedge including Hunter, but did not get to converse as I was with family.
Riding loops, I recommend a ride out of Asheville on NC63 New Leicester Hwy. to Trust NC, then north on 209 to Hot Springs, then East on US 70 over to 251 that will follow the French Broad River back to Asheville.
Another is take I-240 East out of Asheville which then ends and turns into Alt. 74A, take that South to Bat Cave where it intersects NC 9, turn left (north) to Old Fort Rd which turns into Bat Cave Road, work your way up to and cross I-40 to US70, go right (east) on US70 to either NC 80 if you really like it twisty or NC 226 and go north to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. you may want to have lunch in Little Switzerland, then take the Parkway back to Asheville.
The Parkway is always a nice sedate scenic ride in either direction from Asheville, going south has more elevation and tunnels. If your into extreme twisties, Hwy 276 and Hwy 215 are hard to beat, you could go south out of Asheville on the Parkway to 276 then take it south to Brevard for lunch, then take 64 over to 215 and take it back north to the parkway and back to Asheville.
Hope this gives you some ideas, but there are more.

2010 Ducati Multistrada, 2007 KTM Superduke, 2005 DR650
falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #4192
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddydonut View Post
Hi all,
What's the riding like here?
The best, simply the best, see above post for just a taste.

2010 Ducati Multistrada, 2007 KTM Superduke, 2005 DR650
falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #4193
lgajohnymac
(*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddydonut View Post
Hi all,
I'm searching around the Asheville area for a house. I'm glad to see inmates in the area. What's the riding like here? Does anyone do meet and greets?
If you were at the Wedge right now you might be able to ask a few inmates in person.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #4194
motobutane
Dirt ╭∩╮ . ╭∩╮only

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
If you were at the Wedge right now you might be able to ask a few inmates in person.
Funny, there are only 3 breweries in Waynesville, but you can usually find a moto rider at one.
motobutane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #4195
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post

-Chad

Come see me. I'll show you some great roads!

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #4196
lgajohnymac
(*)

Any interest in Brown Mountain this weekend? According to a call I put in the OHV area is open again after the fire. I was thinking maybe someone else from the AVL area would like to go early and truck in. I ain't much on riding the smoker EXC 3 hours round trip. Or I guess I will end up in the usual nearby spots.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #4197
twistdgas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
WNC&TN DS ride on 4-11-2014

Meeting up at Bryson City Bojangles at 9am on Friday morning. Going to the Joyce Kilmer forest,getting on Forest Service rd 81 which is all gravel all the way to Tellico TN. then hitting some single track in tellico after lunch. Everyone welcome My name is PD Hampton, and my number is 828-736-2472
twistdgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #4198
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,888
Moving to Asheville shortly. Bringing a full U-Haul out 4/26 and need to unload it and move everything into a storage unit for a couple of months till the house is ready.

If anyone can recommend some movers to help do the truck unload - storage unit thing - please PM me direct.

Look forward to riding with y'all soon.

David
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #4199
motobutane
Dirt ╭∩╮ . ╭∩╮only

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
Any interest in Brown Mountain this weekend? According to a call I put in the OHV area is open again after the fire. I was thinking maybe someone else from the AVL area would like to go early and truck in. I ain't much on riding the smoker EXC 3 hours round trip. Or I guess I will end up in the usual nearby spots.
I'll probably be there Sunday.
motobutane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #4200
lgajohnymac
(*)

If there's a beat to hell red F150 in the lot with a FYYFF sticker I am there on the KTM.