ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #751
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,444
bring an umbrella....

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #752
86d4LIFE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 36
I was out riding today, trying to get in a few more miles practice before the DV n00b ride, when I find out my riding partner had broken his toe yesterday,while engaging in a little tom foolery. He voiced his concerns to me about being able to still go next week, so like the good guy that I am, I pointed my 990 adv down a rock strewn, washed out, rutted track and went down ... Needless to say that when I turned around to climb back up the track, the stock tires didn't grip too well. I thought to myself ... Nowwhat?...... Well, what happened next was just as I planned. My riding partner comes hobbling down to the bottom of this "track", (only about a 100 rock strewn yards or so) to where he could hear my 990 roaring like a wounded animal with rocks and sand flying from the back tire.He kindly offered to get in behind and help push me out of the ruts until I was able to get back to the top.
After we get back to the top of the hill he realizes that, after doing this he has renewed confidence and will have no problem doing the DV ride with that broken toe!
The things we do for our friends......
86d4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #753
IB Mike
Ex-Wingabego Rider
 
IB Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Kandahar Air Field Afghanistan
Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86d4LIFE
The things we do for our friends......
You are a good friend indeed... very nice of you to do that for your buddy!

See y'all in a few days!
__________________
'03 1150 GS Adventure
'09 Harley Custom Vehicle Ops Road Glide
IB Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #754
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86d4LIFE
I was out riding today, trying to get in a few more miles practice before the DV n00b ride, when I find out my riding partner had broken his toe yesterday,while engaging in a little tom foolery. He voiced his concerns to me about being able to still go next week, so like the good guy that I am, I pointed my 990 adv down a rock strewn, washed out, rutted track and went down ... Needless to say that when I turned around to climb back up the track, the stock tires didn't grip too well. I thought to myself ... Nowwhat?...... Well, what happened next was just as I planned. My riding partner comes hobbling down to the bottom of this "track", (only about a 100 rock strewn yards or so) to where he could hear my 990 roaring like a wounded animal with rocks and sand flying from the back tire.He kindly offered to get in behind and help push me out of the ruts until I was able to get back to the top.
After we get back to the top of the hill he realizes that, after doing this he has renewed confidence and will have no problem doing the DV ride with that broken toe!
The things we do for our friends......
the healing power of laughter is what REALLY HELPED me...when that brand new 990 flung you into the bushes, I laughed so hard that I could'nt feel my toe anymore...
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #755
86d4LIFE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
the healing power of laughter is what REALLY HELPED me...when that brand new 990 flung you into the bushes, I laughed so hard that I could'nt feel my toe anymore...
Yes I did get flung into the bushes didn't I?.......
86d4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #756
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86d4LIFE
Yes I did get flung into the bushes didn't I?.......
the only thing faster than you getting thrown was how fast you popped up to save the bike...was pretty impressive....and hiiiillllarious....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #757
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...
 
Redbull Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: San Jose / Truckee
Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
the only thing faster than you getting thrown was how fast you popped up to save the bike...was pretty impressive....and hiiiillllarious....

My kind of guy!!!
Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #758
86d4LIFE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
the healing power of laughter is what REALLY HELPED me...when that brand new 990 flung you into the bushes, I laughed so hard that I could'nt feel my toe anymore...
All afternoon I thought that I must've gotten stung or something.I just got out of the shower, I had 3 bloody big thorns sticking in my leg!
86d4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #759
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty
 
SenorPeligro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Off the wrong map
Oddometer: 1,962
Bring tweezers. Got it.

So how was the Doc Wong bike grinder? When I went in April it was absolute carnage.

The 650's took it hard on the TT track and the 1200's went down in droves on the trail ride. It looked like a farkle graveyard out there.
__________________
It's just good clean dirt.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #760
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...
 
Redbull Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: San Jose / Truckee
Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro
Bring tweezers. Got it.

So how was the Doc Wong bike grinder? When I went in April it was absolute carnage.

The 650's took it hard on the TT track and the 1200's went down in droves on the trail ride. It looked like a farkle graveyard out there.
Not too much carnage on this one. 2 minor ones on the TT coarse and then the group broke out so I only know of what happened in my group. I was certainly the slowest. <---REAL NOOB but I didn't go down...a GS and F650 did, but not hard. So overall it was a good day.
Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #761
darooster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
darooster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Oddometer: 296
Actually it wasn't as bad as I was expecting but there still was farkles MIA.

I led a group of mostly 12's through some of the trails... And everyone did real well and kept it upright. Seeing how well everyone was doing we even slay'd several intermediate trails. This was the first time off road for my ADV and I must say.... Besides the centerstand slapping around the machine is quite capable.

It was nice to hear from the group... "I would have never tried that on my own". Pushing every one just a little bit more and making them think and put together what was done earlier in the day is a real confidence builder. For those that road in GROUP 5.. nicely done.

Heck great job to ALL!!
__________________
Dino

'07 1200 GS ADV
'93 K1100RS
'81 R80GS
R75/5 Vintage Racer
'70 BSA Lightning
'98 XR600
'93 XR200

It leaps like a gazelle, but lands like a grand piano....
darooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #762
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...
 
Redbull Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: San Jose / Truckee
Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by darooster
Actually it wasn't as bad as I was expecting but there still was farkles MIA.

I led a group of mostly 12's through some of the trails... And everyone did real well and kept it upright. Seeing how well everyone was doing we even slay'd several intermediate trails. This was the first time off road for my ADV and I must say.... Besides the centerstand slapping around the machine is quite capable.

It was nice to hear from the group... "I would have never tried that on my own". Pushing every one just a little bit more and making them think and put together what was done earlier in the day is a real confidence builder. For those that road in GROUP 5.. nicely done.

Heck great job to ALL!!
Group 5??? I was in group 4 or 5....in the back, of course....Shit...I was in the group that Kari lead. I can't remember whether that was 4 or 5 now...
Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #763
darooster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
darooster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull Addict
Hi Dino,

Yes I was there! I was the guy on the BMW X-Challenge. Which GSA were you on?
The one with the BIG lights!! And they're still on .

What group did you ride in?? I actually led group 5 in the afternoon.

Had a great time!! Loved the look of the guys watching when we were doing the "wheelie drill" on the TT track. Look forward to seeing some pic's of some 20+ big bikes doing wheelies!!!!
__________________
Dino

'07 1200 GS ADV
'93 K1100RS
'81 R80GS
R75/5 Vintage Racer
'70 BSA Lightning
'98 XR600
'93 XR200

It leaps like a gazelle, but lands like a grand piano....
darooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #764
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty
 
SenorPeligro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Off the wrong map
Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by darooster
The one with the BIG lights!! And they're still on .
Dude, you'll run down the battery that way...

Here's a great shot (by Roadstergal on f650.com) of Doc Wong riding Kari Prager's monster:



Here's our photos from the April massacre. Any of you FF's in those shots?
__________________
It's just good clean dirt.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #765
darooster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
darooster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Oddometer: 296
Can't wait to get the photo's of this weekends clinc!

As I mentioned... the expression on the peoples faces were priceless as they watched the GSA's ripping throttle wheelie's in the dirt. WooHoo!!
__________________
Dino

'07 1200 GS ADV
'93 K1100RS
'81 R80GS
R75/5 Vintage Racer
'70 BSA Lightning
'98 XR600
'93 XR200

It leaps like a gazelle, but lands like a grand piano....
darooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014