ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #46
TrailDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
How well does the touchscreen respond to gloved fingers?

R1200GS "The Breeze"
KLR 650 "Rat B. Starred"
TrailDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #47
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDoc
How well does the touchscreen respond to gloved fingers?
Pretty good, better than my 60c's rocker.
Also just bought the Garmin (010-10723-06) USB power adapter for the Colorado 400 as it is a 90 deg end and works great.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #48
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Pretty good, better than my 60c's rocker.
Also just bought the Garmin (010-10723-06) USB ??power adapter for the Colorado 400 as it is a 90 deg end and works great.
Do you mean You bought a USB terminal end , like the ones that plug into a computer? If so how do you hook that to your bike ?
That 90* elbow looks good , i might look for cigarette adapter model for the Xog on the Strom.

2003 Suzuki VStrom 1000
2009 Beta Evo 200
2011 GasGas EC300
canadianstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #49
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianstrom
Do you mean You bought a USB terminal end , like the ones that plug into a computer? If so how do you hook that to your bike ?
That 90* elbow looks good , i might look for cigarette adapter model for the Xog on the Strom.

rwamf homepage
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #50
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
I see you run yours powered from the bike. Any battery life related issues you see?
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #51
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
I see you run yours powered from the bike. Any battery life related issues you see?
I have never used it as a handheld so I have no Idea how long the battery lasts.
I only use it on my Bike, so it is always plugged in. But it is nice to take it in when you stop for lunch and use it to plan more stuff or import a different set of tracks while you are waiting for your lunch etc, since it is always charged and ready to go.

rwamf homepage
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #52
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
I have never used it as a handheld so I have no Idea how long the battery lasts.
I only use it on my Bike, so it is always plugged in. But it is nice to take it in when you stop for lunch and use it to plan more stuff or import a different set of tracks while you are waiting for your lunch etc, since it is always charged and ready to go.
Thanks. My experience is with the iFinder series only, currently the H2Oc. Now that you've had the XOG for a while do you still like it better than the iFinder?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #53
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Thanks. My experience is with the iFinder series only, currently the H2Oc. Now that you've had the XOG for a while do you still like it better than the iFinder?
Hands down better for what I use it for, Bigger screen, and multiple map sets , auto routing etc
Love it.

rwamf homepage
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #54
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Robert,

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these to replace my trusty iFinder. I've read this thread and the one over on gpspassion as well as the user manual from the Lowrance website. I've just got a couple more questions.

1) navigating trails - I use MapCreate to generate routes and also have stored a lot of tracks/trails that I use from time to time. The XOG user manual says that tracks must be manually edited in order to navigate in the reverse direction. On the iFinder I just select the track/route, select reverse, and then select navigate to navigate a trail in reverse. Will I really have to manually reorder the track points or waypoints in order to navigate a track/route in reverse? I realize that I will have to turn the auto routing(i.e. base map) off in order to use the trails/routes that I use with the iFinder and don't have a problem with this.

2) Autoroute generation - it appears that if I want to control the generation of an autroute that I can enter up to 99 waypoints and force the XOG to generate a route through these waypoints. Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your info and help.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #55
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Robert,

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these to replace my trusty iFinder. I've read this thread and the one over on gpspassion as well as the user manual from the Lowrance website. I've just got a couple more questions.

1) navigating trails - I use MapCreate to generate routes and also have stored a lot of tracks/trails that I use from time to time. The XOG user manual says that tracks must be manually edited in order to navigate in the reverse direction. On the iFinder I just select the track/route, select reverse, and then select navigate to navigate a trail in reverse. Will I really have to manually reorder the track points or waypoints in order to navigate a track/route in reverse? I realize that I will have to turn the auto routing(i.e. base map) off in order to use the trails/routes that I use with the iFinder and don't have a problem with this.

2) Autoroute generation - it appears that if I want to control the generation of an autroute that I can enter up to 99 waypoints and force the XOG to generate a route through these waypoints. Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your info and help.
I never use the navigate to follow a trail. I just set the trail that I want to follow in Light Red with a solid line. I then set my active trAil to Green with a dashed line. I just follow the line, very simple, The navigate the trail I have seen some wacky stuff there as some times it will try to take you on roads and not on the track?? It is so easy just to follow the red line, either direction.
As far as the auto routing you can set your end point and it will route you there, if you want to add a via all you do is scroll your map to where you want to "via" to put you cursor arrow on the place and press the "I" in the upper right hand corner, It will then ask you if you want to make it you final destination or route as a via, Very simple and you can even put a pile of them in there and it will even give you options on how to sort them.

rwamf homepage
Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #56
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
The topic of how to power the unit while on the bike popped up down in the equipment thread and someone referenced this cable from Powerlet.

I do believe the 12" model of this will work perfectly on my 990.

Link to product page.
http://powerletproducts.com/products/power_cables.php
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #57
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 450
XOG software update

Lowrance has released software ver 1.70 for the XOG

from the Lowrance website:

How to see if your XOG is already using version 1.7.0 software:
  1. Select the MENU icon on the display of your XOG.
  2. Select "Options".
  3. Select the third tab, "Page 3".
  4. Select "Device Information".
  5. The software version for your unit is located under the line that says "XOG".
  6. If your version is the same version listed above, there is no need to download the software.
What changes are made in this update?
  • Improved "GPS time to first fix" speed
  • Added waypoints for the sample satellite imagery and BLM data
  • Added Nautical to the Units of Measure page under Speed/Distance
  • Added a "Reverse" route button to the edit route page, replacing the autosort button in straight line
  • Safety mode disabled in Straight Line navigation mode
  • Added a delete button in the Picture Viewer for deleting the currently viewed picture
  • Modified Leap Year calculations
  • Modified backlighting during standby mode
  • Modified browse music page to include entire last row of icons
  • Modified waveform display in music player to be visible against black background
  • Modified support of "Skins" loaded from an SD card
  • Includes all features from previous updates, including:
    • Enables support with MapSelect.com
    • Modified address searching
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #58
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Sounds like Lowrance has created my new GPS, I have Topo 6.3 and was looking for a color gps to replace my old ifinder pro.
Any idea how external power will work on a bike without a battery? You know the voltage drops a little at idle, not consistant like with a battery.
I kinda like my XT550 with out a battery, one less thing to go bad.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #59
nickfury
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Can anyone tell me how to make a profile and sign in to mapselect.com? I cannot figure it out. I have the XOG and i want to download some enhanced usgs topos.
nickfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #60
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfury
Can anyone tell me how to make a profile and sign in to mapselect.com? I cannot figure it out. I have the XOG and i want to download some enhanced usgs topos.
When you plug your XOG into your computer it should give you an option to go to the MApselect web site, That is the only way you can register, (with the XOG plugged in. )
Try that and lets us know

rwamf homepage