ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #91
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Hi,

Sunday Fresno,CA paper has Walmart flyer listing these for $219,don't know if thats regional or national.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #92
Frenchie
Yooper in training

Oddometer: 40
Thank you Rwamf.

I found a nifty way to mount the GPS for the BMW, on CycleGaget.com. It turns out there is a special kit with a new bolt that allows you to match a RAM ball onto your triple clamp for a R1100 or R1150 RT.

I will use GPSBabel to convert my clubs existing tracks into *.usr files and we will see how that works for me on my DRZ.

My first trip with a GPS will be next week with a trip around Lake Superior. Hopefully the XOG lives up to it's potential!

Frenchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
1. Don't know but check out the RAM MOUNT site as the have a motorcycle selector,
http://www.ram-mount.com/cataloglarge/RAMB252.jpg

2. You will not need Mapsource , unless you would like to organize your tracks into manageable files to use on the XOG, Use GpsBabel to convert the Garmin to "usr" and you should be good to go.
Remember that the XOG will hold 5 times the number of tracks as a Garmin, and at full resolution per track, and you can save AND LOAD them from the SD card,
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #93
cabexbx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
It looks like they rolled back the price to $219 at Walmart since it's listed for that price on walmart.com

However, I just bought one from newegg.com for $181.99 including UPS ground shipping. I've been deliberating between the XOG and the Magellan Crossover. I was won over to the XOG for creating and importing routes, text to speech and the MP3 player.

I'll be using it on my motorcycle (now I just need to buy the accessories to make it work well) and my wife will use it in her vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
Hi,

Sunday Fresno,CA paper has Walmart flyer listing these for $219,don't know if thats regional or national.

JR356
cabexbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #94
Ziptie
Second most favorite tool

Oddometer: 53
Newegg

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered mine from Newegg for the same price.

Quite a savings!
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #95
Frenchie
Yooper in training

Oddometer: 40
I guess I should have waited 1 week. I paid $220 from Crutchfield.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #96
cabexbx
Adventurer

What do you do though? You know the price is going to go down eventually on anything technology related. It's just a matter of when and how much. The only reason I've waited this long is b/c I couldn't make a decision, otherwise I would have paid $240 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie
I guess I should have waited 1 week. I paid $220 from Crutchfield.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #97
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
XOG ordered from Amazon today. Alaska trip in July, I'll report back after that.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #98
Fred-O
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink xog

I just got mine from Tigergps.com. Downloaded the 1.7 firmware update and my MacBook can transfer to the SD just fine. Will play with it some more on my trip to DC this week. I really like how you can program the display fields and change their position.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #99
Ziptie

Question Need Help with transferred routes/tracks!

Got my XOG and love it so far, but I'm having trouble transferring routes from Garmin, Delorme, etc. I loaded GPS Babel and that's what I'm using to transfer files to the .usr format.

My issue is that when I load the route (Options\Transfer Data\Load filename.usr) I get an error screen that says "There is not enough data storage left for all the user data. Some data was not loaded".

When I check the Route via Destination option, the route is listed but incomplete. The load also adds about a hundred numbered waypoints in my address book which I surely don't want.

I've found no way to address the data error - I'm fairly certain this is user error somewhere in the process, but I'm stumped.

Any words of wisdom? Thoughts? Any and all would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #100
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptie
Got my XOG and love it so far, but I'm having trouble transferring routes from Garmin, Delorme, etc. I loaded GPS Babel and that's what I'm using to transfer files to the .usr format.

My issue is that when I load the route (Options\Transfer Data\Load filename.usr) I get an error screen that says "There is not enough data storage left for all the user data. Some data was not loaded".

When I check the Route via Destination option, the route is listed but incomplete. The load also adds about a hundred numbered waypoints in my address book which I surely don't want.

I've found no way to address the data error - I'm fairly certain this is user error somewhere in the process, but I'm stumped.

Any words of wisdom? Thoughts? Any and all would be appreciated.
It is probably taking the route and saving it as 1000000 way points, I don't mess with routes as they are best done in the XOG and you can route with waypoints in the unit and even auto sort, Now if you save your route as a GPS file in Delorme and then transfer it in GPS babel it will handle the track quite well.
Take a look at you address book I bet it is full of meaningless waypoints.
Just start working with tracks so much better in the long run. you can draw tracks in Garmin or in Delorme and in Delorme you can create a route and turn it into s GPS file. convert to USr and you will be good to go.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #101
Ziptie

Thanks

Thanks, Robert. Looks like I'll definitely have to start working with tracks. I do alot of building routes (using the back roads from point A to B), and looks like I'll just have to start figuring out how to build the track.

Your experience and help on these units is much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #102
Fred-O
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Novice Xog data tansfer

I like my XOG. I would like to know if anyone has already build a novice guide in how to download GPS maps, convert them, and transfer them? My XOG manual doesn't say how to import maps...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #103
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-O
I like my XOG. I would like to know if anyone has already build a novice guide in how to download GPS maps, convert them, and transfer them? My XOG manual doesn't say how to import maps...
Having owned one a week now, I must say that Lowrance really needs to provide real documentation for this unit.

I think it has a great deal more capability than it gets credit for, but much of that extra capability, such as the ability to skin, is undocumented.

Why is Lowrance keeping its light under a barrel?
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #104
postaldave
gone postal

Oddometer: 796
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

download babel and use any GPS software you like.
i would go with mapsource being there is allot of help on the net
for that program. mapsource really is the default software here at ADV
but with babel you don't have to run a garmin to use it.

my big hint: when starting a track you often will run out of points and the XOG will start auto deleting your trail. it defaults to 2000 but you can run up to 9999 points in a track. when you start your ride goto trails and where it says 2000 just add two 9s ie... 200099. it will be to much and will fall back to 9999. that is enough for several hours of trail riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas
Having owned one a week now, I must say that Lowrance really needs to provide real documentation for this unit.

I think it has a great deal more capability than it gets credit for, but much of that extra capability, such as the ability to skin, is undocumented.

Why is Lowrance keeping its light under a barrel?

1972 BMW R75/5 toaster
1995 BMW GS 1100
2001 yamaha kodiak 400
2002 HONDA VFR interceptor

no one is promised a tomorrow but one more ride would be nice.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #105
cabexbx
Adventurer

Mount

Does anyone use, or has anyone tried, the MB-32 motorcycle mount from Lowrance? I need to get a mount for and I'm thinking about the MB-32, but I don't want to waste my money so if it's not worth it I'll just go with the Ram Mount.