User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
fethers OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Thumb Earmoulds - My First Impression

I bought some of these recently, had heard about them via a couple of inmates here and finally got to try 'em out on the weekend.

I was on the 640, using my Shoei road helmet and it was very strange having to learn how to ride by "feel" as even with the few times I've ridden with earplugs, you still hear some noise. This time it was just music from my iPod. I had to go above 130 before I picked up any wind noise.

I did wonder though, how easy it may be to lose concentration with such clear music playing instead of hearing the bike etc. Next time I will run the volume a bit lower (no, it wasn't booming) and see what the difference may be.

Are they worth $200?

I think so, but I also want to try them with my 2-way before I'm completely satisfied.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by fethers
I did wonder though, how easy it may be to lose concentration with such clear music playing instead of hearing the bike etc.
It helps with the concentration.

eg. Rammstein makes me concentrate on riding like a fucking lunatic
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
I bought some recently and IMO they are great. Well worth the money. Now I just have to get everything to work through them.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Ashes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I got some recently from the Melb bike expo and wore them to/from Phillip Island and a few times on my daily commute. I've got normal fitted musician plugs made from an audiologist which filter harmful noise but still let you hear a conversation. I like these a lot and wear them most times. Very comfortable.
Up until recently I have always dismissed the idea of playing music while riding. On the longer trip though I really enjoyed it. The plugs with the wires have a bit more bulk too them and depending on your helmet there can be some discomfort when putting on or removing the helmet. Using them daily for a week left the ears a bit sore. I guess you would get used to this over time. While the helmet was on, very comfortable and dramatic noise reduction.
You do need to ensure the cords are tucked into your jacket as wind noise against them or them rubbing on the jacket create noise in them.
In terms of the concentration factor, I probably still wouldn't recommend them for heavy traffic commutting. There is just too much going on around you and hearing that car/bike/truck in a place where your not expecting it to be can be a life saver. I think visually you can concentrate as well but they do remove the use of a key sense while riding. Without music (just a plain mould) you still can hear bike/traffic noise so not so much of an issue
ps...don't let your 10 y/o near your MP3 player especially if it only holds 256kb..as a joke she put Skater Boy by Avril Lavigne on it and I can't get that stupid song out of my head now!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Clowndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Bought mine about two weeks back, I took the cheaper more versatile option they had which allows you to provide your own headphone buds, Ipod buds etc.

I found a neck warmer added a nice soft insulation to the actual audio tubes and helped stop external sounds conducting up into the ear. No ear discomfort whatsoever for me so far but the lady who fitted them explained that I could come back and have adjustments made if I did get any.

Havent listened to anything other than my GPS so far but certainly will on long stretches.

I noticed they have a stand listed for this weekends Sydney bike show if anyone is interested.

My Weblog

Clowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Had them for just over a year. I think they sound great and can't recommend them highly enough

On a long trip, I'll normally only wear them for the boring freeway ride, and enjoy the sound of the bike on the more interesting bits

Be hard for them not to affect concentration, so I don't ride too crazy when wearing them in traffic.
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
stretch49
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Been using the Earmould plugs wired up to my Ipod for 4 years. Absouloootley great on long boring rides. To bad the Ipod didnt last as long as the Earmoulds. $400 for the original Ipod, recently replaced it with the same model refurbished from Apple with 1 year Warranty $109. Hows the mark up.
stretch49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
LOFTYBOB
Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by fethers
I bought some of these recently, had heard about them via a couple of inmates here and finally got to try 'em out on the weekend.

I was on the 640, using my Shoei road helmet and it was very strange having to learn how to ride by "feel" as even with the few times I've ridden with earplugs, you still hear some noise. This time it was just music from my iPod. I had to go above 130 before I picked up any wind noise.

I did wonder though, how easy it may be to lose concentration with such clear music playing instead of hearing the bike etc. Next time I will run the volume a bit lower (no, it wasn't booming) and see what the difference may be.

Are they worth $200?

I think so, but I also want to try them with my 2-way before I'm completely satisfied.
Have you got a contact #, I am keen to get a set of these.
Regards Bob
Old 10-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Clowndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
google earmold

yes spelled like that

My Weblog

Clowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
they're fantastic on the long haules, or fangs. when fresh; with god music, i ride like #27 (***cough***).

i also have an airclicker (remote control) for the ipod on my h/bars (or another different one on the outside of my right glove), for FF, Rew, vol control etc.

way to go.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
LOFTYBOB
Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
they're fantastic on the long haules, or fangs. when fresh; with god music, i ride like #27 (***cough***).

i also have an airclicker (remote control) for the ipod on my h/bars (or another different one on the outside of my right glove), for FF, Rew, vol control etc.

way to go.
I have all my MP3 music loaded into my Zumo GPS and that is plugged into the Autocom rider/passenger intercom system, so all I need now is some good earplugs with the built in speakers. Hows the base on these speakers?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
ScottyDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Question Earmoulds

Hey Fethers, where did you get them from, and do they have an outlet in Brissy? Cheers, ScottyDog
ScottyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

I also use a remote, it's an Apple iPod Remote which also has an FM tuner in it. Don't use the FM tuner much but the remote is great since it's difficult, sometimes impossible, to operate the click wheel with gloves on.

Personally, I don't believe music has to be a distraction in heavy traffic. You should always know what's going on around you, regardless of whether you can hear anything or not. How do deaf people cope? Plus, the music takes my mind off the tinitus
Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFTYBOB
I have all my MP3 music loaded into my Zumo GPS and that is plugged into the Autocom rider/passenger intercom system, so all I need now is some good earplugs with the built in speakers. Hows the base on these speakers?
Have you had the Zumo in the boonies? I get the impression it's great for directions in populated areas, but what are the maps like away from civilisation?

I'm also curious about the music quality on the Earmold. My Sony's are great, much better than the iPod earplugs which are not bad.

Peka screwed with this post 10-31-2007 at 06:59 PM
Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFTYBOB

peka's right.

i've also got an autocom. i had the ipod running through into the helmet but that was shite as the audio was poor. samed with the phone.

i now use the earmoldsfor the ipod and bugger the autcom. without music running, you can still hear the autocom (turn up the vol).

distractions? the phone for sure. don't do it! if you can't ride w/out the phone on, WTF are you doing riding?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote