Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #241
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Here are two more. The top one is a S&W 629-3 Classic .44 Magnum with a rare 5" barrel. The other is a Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum. I got the Ruger new 30 years ago and it is the longest continuously owned firearm I have.

Hey, that 629 looks exactly like the one I've been fondling and drooling over at a local shop. I don't know about the "rare" part, think it's current-production and fairly easily obtained, but likewise don't know what dash number the new ones are, and acknowledge that they have the much-hated internal lock!

If you want to see some foaming-at-the-mouth, go onto the S&W forum and listen to the inmates there bitch and whine about the IL. Holy shit! I have a number of newer Smiths, and while I cannot say that I like the IL, and while I would be very happy if they eliminated it at some point in the near future, I haven't had a problem with it in any of the guns I've owned and shot extensively, including hard-kickers like the 500 and the 340PD.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #242
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,211
The 5" barrel is rare on the earlier versions where the 4" and especially the 6" barrels predominated. I guess its popularity nudged S&W to use it in current production. IMHO, it is an ideal all-around barrel length for the N frame .44 Magnum!

I don't own and have never shot a S&W with an internal lock, so I can't get into that debate (without an obvious bias). That said, when looking to purchase a S&W, I have always focused on models without that feature just because I'm a traditionalist and usually like older production firearms...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 10:55 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #243
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The 5" barrel is rare on the earlier versions where the 4" and especially the 6" barrels predominated. I guess its popularity nudged S&W to use it in current production. IMHO, it is an ideal all-around barrel length for the N frame .44 Magnum!

I don't own and have never shot a S&W with an internal lock, so I can't get into that debate (without an obvious bias). That said, when looking to purchase a S&W, I have always focused on models without that feature just because I'm a traditionalist and usually like older production firearms...
Hey, I hear ya on the IL feature. The only problem with not buying it from my standpoint has been the fact that S&W has come out with some seriously cool, desireable guns in the past decade since the advent of the IL. Primarily I am referring to the 500 X-frames, if you're into a really big powerful handgun, and also the ultra lightweights like the 340PD. Neither of those genres is available in an older production variant. But I will concede that if I could choose between identical or very similar guns with or without the IL, I'd definitely be in the "without" camp.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #244
Knighthawk
Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer: 21,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Beautiful 629 there, Nighthawk. That one looks like a 6"? I've been wanting to get one of the current production ones with the full underlug barrel in a 5" variety, love the way it balances for me. The ones I've looked at don't have the unfluted cylinder, however. My only 44 Mag at present is a 629 PC 2 5/8" which I've posted pics of in the other gun thread, but another one here can't hurt anything!

That's sweet!!

"Make sure you got clean underwear," Mom always said. I always figured that'd be the least of my worries, but now I'm older, I see there's a lot you can't control and some you can control and clean underwear is one of those you can...for the most part.
Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #245
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
That's sweet!!
INNIT!?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #246
Knighthawk
Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer: 21,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
INNIT!?

I love big bore handguns...although not a "wheel gun", this is my other .44 Mag...and she's a friggin handful.

"Make sure you got clean underwear," Mom always said. I always figured that'd be the least of my worries, but now I'm older, I see there's a lot you can't control and some you can control and clean underwear is one of those you can...for the most part.
Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #247
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Does this count?kind of an impulse buy dealing on some other guns but I like it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #248
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,289
Tell us about it. What do you use it for? Accurate?

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #249
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
its a Rossi 45 colt/.410 . I wanted a .410 to use n my boat for squirrel hunting on the river. It has twochokes one for.45 ans .410 slugs and one for shot. Shooting the. 45 I was impressed with accuracy. The .410 has a bit of the swirling pattern that is common when shooting shot from a rifled barrel but not as bad as my contender and I've only shot #5 and its justthrough it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #250
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
its a Rossi 45 colt/.410 . I wanted a .410 to use n my boat for squirrel hunting on the river. It has twochokes one for.45 ans .410 slugs and one for shot. Shooting the. 45 I was impressed with accuracy. The .410 has a bit of the swirling pattern that is common when shooting shot from a rifled barrel but not as bad as my contender and I've only shot #5 and its justthrough it.
Interesting guns. I'm thinking that Taurus makes one something like that, a long-gun version of their Judge series, but could be mistaken in that.

I've been curious about the 410/45Colt revolvers, and they've certainly made a big hit and have sold like hotcakes for a number of years now, but I have never really thought of them as being real useful or practical......just my personal opinion, and I would certainly never discourage anyone from getting one if they like that beast! In fact, I think it would make a pretty decent car, bike bag, or night-stand gun. The one that intrigues me the most is the new S&W Governor because of its capacity to shoot 45ACP in moon-clips in addition to 410 and 45 Colt.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #251
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Interesting guns. I'm thinking that Taurus makes one something like that, a long-gun version of their Judge series, but could be mistaken in that.

I've been curious about the 410/45Colt revolvers, and they've certainly made a big hit and have sold like hotcakes for a number of years now, but I have never really thought of them as being real useful or practical......just my personal opinion, and I would certainly never discourage anyone from getting one if they like that beast! In fact, I think it would make a pretty decent car, bike bag, or night-stand gun. The one that intrigues me the most is the new S&W Governor because of its capacity to shoot 45ACP in moon-clips in addition to 410 and 45 Colt.
I've been looking around for info.

The only decent cartridge out of them is the .45LC.

Pretty much none of the shotgun cartridges are effective or accurate. Even shooting 000 slugs out of them gives you 4-5 projectiles that barely penetrate soft tissue.

You'd have to use it as a gut gun, but at that point you be better off with a regular handgun.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #252
clevishook OP
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:

There is a you tube video about the Taurus. Mostly concerning accuracy with the different ammo. Not scientific but pretty informative.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #253
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I've been looking around for info.

The only decent cartridge out of them is the .45LC.

Pretty much none of the shotgun cartridges are effective or accurate. Even shooting 000 slugs out of them gives you 4-5 projectiles that barely penetrate soft tissue.

You'd have to use it as a gut gun, but at that point you be better off with a regular handgun.
I'd not want to be shot with a 410 out of one! I shot a Bond Arms derringer, which belongs to a relative, in 45/410 a couple of times and it sure did kick! The thing was a regular pussycat with 45 Colt factory ammo, but kicked like a muthafucka with the short 410s and bird-shot. It is definitely a short-range proposition, though, as the shot spreads out really fast out of these short rifled barrels.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #254
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
I'd not want to be shot with a 410 out of one! I shot a Bond Arms derringer, which belongs to a relative, in 45/410 a couple of times and it sure did kick! The thing was a regular pussycat with 45 Colt factory ammo, but kicked like a muthafucka with the short 410s and bird-shot. It is definitely a short-range proposition, though, as the shot spreads out really fast out of these short rifled barrels.
It'd definitely be dangerous if not fatal, but the videos I've seen of people shooting into ballistics materials or something similar makes the effectiveness iffy enough at close range that I honestly think you're better off with a regular pistol or revolver.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #255
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
I'm more interested in Rossi's lever action .410. I have no idea why.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: