Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Jeffro115 OP
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
How to run power from fuse panel? (Car question)

My buddy has a Chevy sedan, and I'm helping him put in foglights.

The lights are PIAAs that he bought. They come with the wiring and a relay all set up. The only issue is where to tap into a 'hot' wire to power the switch (which in turn controls the relay, that is already wired to the battery.)

He doesn't want to cut or splice into any wires with the tap connectors that come supplied. He wants to take power from the fuse panel.

The issue is that there are no empty or accessory fuses. All of the fuses there already power something else.

My answer would be to splice into a switched wire somewhere.

So the question is, how can we hook up these lights? More specifically, where can we find switched power without cutting or splicing into anything?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
you don't want to run the lights off anything else, you'll either blow fuses or overload wires and melt or burn them. Tap staight off the battery, you can get adapters that your terminal will connect to to add a post to hook accesories to.
My PIAA's on my bike have the relay power coming from the highbeam switch so when I flip on the highbeams the PIAA's go on but with a switch so I can turn them off but the light is powered off the battery. If I powered the lights from the headlights I'd melt the wires or worse off start a fire.
You can power the relay from the fuse box or another wire but the larger wires that go to the lights should come straight from the battery and have an in-line fuse.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Jeffro115 OP
Redemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat280
You can power the relay from the fuse box or another wire but the larger wires that go to the lights should come straight from the battery and have an in-line fuse.

That's the specific question.

The main wires for the power to the lights do run straight off the battery.

Every slot in the fuse panel has a fuse in it, powering something else.

He wants to simply put the wire that runs the relay around one of those fuses and push it back into place.

I don't know about doing it like that. He doesn't want to cut into anything bacause of fear or corrosion or something else. . . . .

So, where can we get power without cutting a wire?

Or. . .

How do we get power from the fuse panel???
Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Orangetwin411
Katoom Rider

Oddometer: 292
You can get power from the fuse box using a "add a fuse". Basically it plugs into a existing fuse slot, piggybacks a fuse and provides a wire for hot. I used one of these to illuminate gauges on my last truck. It worked out but never really seated properly. The vibration from the diesel motor made the add a fuse work itself free and loose connection from time to time. This was with the mini add a fuse. I know others that have had zero issues with the regular add a fuse when used under the hood.

He needs a trigger source to close the relay and power the lights. Personally, I'd use a scotchlok connector and tap into the low beam power circuit. The scotchloks work fine but you need to load up the connection with dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ....do?sku=469004

BTW the best method for tapping into wires is as always, solder and shrink wrap. This isn't always practical if you don't have the room to work or don't want to mar the wire, such as on a lease vehicle.

Here's another link for connectors from aero...

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-17086.html
2005 KTM 300 MXC
2005 Kawasaki V2K Ltd
2005 KTM 525 SX
2007 KTM 950R
http://bigsaint.smugmug.com/
Orangetwin411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Jeffro115 OP
Redemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetwin411
You can get power from the fuse box using a "add a fuse". Basically it plugs into a existing fuse slot, piggybacks a fuse and provides a wire for hot.

That sounds like the ticket. That should go together neatly and not be permanent.

I was thinking of using power from the low beam circuit, but that eliminates the possibility of running the foglights with the headlight off.

I don't think that it is legal to have foglights on with high beams, but I guess we will have to wire it that way. I seriously doubt an inspection station will look into it that far.

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume that any auto parts store will have one of those?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,235
It sounds like you have the power to the lights running from the battery through the relay, and all you need to do is wire up the control wire from the relay?

Unfortunately, you're going to have to tap into one of the headlight wires if you want to do it that way. Personally, I'd tie it in under the dash. The fuses for the headlights will always be on, the headlight switch is most always between the fuse panel and the headlight. I don't like those POS inline splices either, if you can't find a handy connector to tie into a convenient way is to carefully cut and peel off 1/4" of insulation then twist the stripped end off the other wire around it, then tape. If it is in an expose position use a sealer like 3M ScotchKote on it after you have taped it.

You can wire it with a DPDT two-position switch and run a hot lead from the fuse panel as has been suggested, then you have a choice of leaving them on with the low beams or turning them on whenever you wish.

Also, if you are just planning on putting a simple on/off switch on it wire the relay so that it gets power from the battery, and then just run the ground wire side of the energizer circuit up to the dash. Then all you have to do is switch it to ground to gt teh lights to turn on.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
+1 on the Add-a-Fuse. They're available at most auto stores and work well for a relay application. You're only pulling a couple of amps so it's not very critical. Tap it into the horn fuse if you want the power to come on with the key and put a rocker switch in line to turn the lights on and off. If you don't want to hack the dash, just put the switch under the edge of the dash where the driver can reach it.

That should give you a install that doesn't cut into anything in the car.

Chris